Hyundai Kia ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gen 4 Kia optima uses KIA type-4 sp-iv UM090-CH042 at a cost of $9.25/Q.
Hyundai YF Sonata uses SPH-IV 00232-19045 at a cost of $19.99/Q.
These are badge engineered sibling sharing all major components, what makes their transmission fluid so different?

It could be smaller parts( made of brass, copper, made not out of iron) in the transmission that are more sensitive to the chemicals added in the other fluids, so special fluid has to be made without those chemicals that could chemically react with special metals used in the tranny. Or I was assuming u didn't have a cvt transmission(doesn't shift gears, continuously variable), if you do, then that's why, a cat transmission doesn't operate the same and there for the same fluid won't be sufficient.
-srv

CVT fluid would be a lot more than $19.99 a quart ...

What year is a gen4 Optima? Is this when Hyundai and Kia were borrowing old engine and transmission technology from Mitsu / Chryco?

I am talking about 2011-2013 kia optima and hyundai sonata.

The transmission is 6 speed FWD and engine is GDI 2.4 liter. The parts used should be identical.

ATF part # is listed in my first post. The cost of ATF is 20 dollar/Q vs 10 dollar/Q.

Originally Posted By: ChemicallyChargd
It could be smaller parts( made of brass, copper, made not out of iron) in the transmission that are more sensitive to the chemicals added in the other fluids, so special fluid has to be made without those chemicals that could chemically react with special metals used in the tranny. Or I was assuming u didn't have a cvt transmission(doesn't shift gears, continuously variable), if you do, then that's why, a cat transmission doesn't operate the same and there for the same fluid won't be sufficient.
-srv

From my understanding these two model are the same mechanically. Sister vehicles that borrow the same power train. The CVT are avalible on hybrid and I don't own hybrids.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to say that you aren't going to find a ton of help with regards to Hyundai/Kia, especially regarding transmissions around here. I've been struggling with SPIII advice, let along SP-IV. I just don't think there are enough Hyundai/Kia drivers on here, and transmissions already scare the [censored] out of people.

Here is my $0.02;
If SP-IV is like its older brother, SPIII, then the stuff from Hyundai should be the same as the stuff from KIA. The engine and transmissions are the same, so should the fluids. If you look at after-market fluids, they always group the two together "Hyundai/Kia SP-IV" Hyundai is the more "High-end" line, so maybe the dealer thinks they can get away with charging more? Are these prices coming from the same dealer?

Around where I live, there are a couple of Hyundai and Kia dealers, but they are all owned by the same company. Their prices are excessive, especially for what you get. 1qt of SPIII is 9.95/qt, and a OEM filter is 8.95. You can get OEM parts a lot cheaper off the internet.

If I were in your shoes, I would go with the KIA fluid and not worry. I would also check into what it costs at a Mitsubishi dealer. Their SP-IV should be the same too.

I agree with some of the comments above, the only difference is the part number.

Good Luck.
-p

I own both a Kia and Hyundai vehicle buy SP-III or SP-IV (2011 and newer - check owners manual) from which ever dealer is less expensive - it's the same stuff !!

Thanks for your replies, I heard that mitsubishi has a diamond sp-IV, however research on the internet has yielded little information. Therefore, question loom as to if Mitsu has deviated from hyundai-kia's tranny spec. There is little to no chance I would do tranny drain/fill with 20 dollar sph-iv, I would use signature amsoil atf if I had to.

I'd be reluctant to use the Mitsu fluid, because I think that Hyundai/Kia have shifted transmission production to their own lines.

I have a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe. Recently had the dealer do a transmission fluid change--they used a BG change machine, type 3 fluid (BG) and an additive. They indicate that is what they use on all of the Hyundais. Since that time, the tranny performs perfectly with no discernable difference in performance.

Originally Posted By: dh19440113
Gen 4 Kia optima uses KIA type-4 sp-iv UM090-CH042 at a cost of $9.25/Q.
Hyundai YF Sonata uses SPH-IV 00232-19045 at a cost of $19.99/Q.
These are badge engineered sibling sharing all major components, what makes their transmission fluid so different?

The less expensive fluid is "SP-IV", the more expensive "SPH-IV" with a synthetic base stock which Hyundai/Kia specs for the electronically controlled 6-speed automatic transmission, and according to Hyundai "SP-III, SPH-IV and SPH-IV-RR are not interchangeable":

Hyundai Bulletin

SPH-IV 00232-19045 is available on-line for about $15.

wowzers.....I think I'd just use ATF+4....I've heard of the SuperTech ATF+4 being "compatible" with the SP* fluids....even the bottle has it marked on the sticker, may be suitable for Mitsu, Kia, Hyundai, etc.
smile.gif

Best case, get a UOA on the "used" ATF and buy 1 qt of new "KIA" ATF and compare the VOAs and UOAs....may shine a brighter light on the additive "architecture" perhaps that the different fluids contain?
smile.gif

Or is my thinking invalid/nil? :p

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
wowzers.....I think I'd just use ATF+4....I've heard of the SuperTech ATF+4 being "compatible" with the SP* fluids....even the bottle has it marked on the sticker, may be suitable for Mitsu, Kia, Hyundai, etc.
smile.gif

Best case, get a UOA on the "used" ATF and buy 1 qt of new "KIA" ATF and compare the VOAs and UOAs....may shine a brighter light on the additive "architecture" perhaps that the different fluids contain?
smile.gif

Or is my thinking invalid/nil? :p

ATF+4 is an alternative for SP-III, chrysler Mitsubishi and Hyundai shared transmission fluid at the time. Since then, hyundai/Kia has stike out on its own with the 6-speed. There is no evidence that ATF+4 is compatible with sph-IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back