what is the best fuel stabilizer for a snow blower

Status
Not open for further replies.
what is the best additive to use to stabilize fuel is it better to drain or use additives on small engines lawn mowers and snowblowers during storage months?

Blue Stabil.

Hands down. I put it in everything.

This spring....my push mower started on the 2nd pull....My weed wacker started without problems either. My 1968 115HP Johnson outboard started with 8 seconds of cranking. My 1992 15HP Johnson outboard started on 2nd pull.

Both my Honda scooters started immediately.

I like Blue Stabil. I tried everything, and this stuff is 100% legit.

Green Earth Tech.'s stabilizer has been the best for me. Stabil (red and blue) worked, but engine still ran rough until new gas and cleaner was run through it. No issues like that with the GET product.

I'll be testing Startron this winter as a stabilizer. The motorcycle folks have great success with it.

Originally Posted By: volk06
What's the difference on the formula that makes the blue so much better?

From what the Stabil Tech told me, the blue stuff just has more cleaner in it. The other active ingredients work out the same when you consider the concentration vs. the use rate (blue = more concentrated, but you use it at 1/2 of the red rate).

He told me both products work well in ethanol gas, but the blue is better bang for the buck.

With ethanol being an excellent cleaner, I don't understand why one would want more???

I went in to my small engine guy's shop a few years ago and asked for blue Stabil - and he wanted to know what I wanted it for. When I told him it was for my OPE, he frowned and said he didn't know why anyone would use anything but Seafoam.

Been using it ever since and have been very pleased with easy start-ups for mowers and snow blower.

I also buy only 87 octane (non-ethanol) gas.

Originally Posted By: gizzsdad
I went in to my small engine guy's shop a few years ago and asked for blue Stabil - and he wanted to know what I wanted it for. When I told him it was for my OPE, he frowned and said he didn't know why anyone would use anything but Seafoam.

Been using it ever since and have been very pleased with easy start-ups for mowers and snow blower.

I also buy only 87 octane (non-ethanol) gas.

Using non ethanol gas may have more to do with you having no problems than the use of the seafoam.

Last edited:
I've been trying out the Briggs advanced formula fuel treatment and stabilizer. Put it in last fall and everything started up without any problems.

It's supposed to protect against ethanol problems, all gas sold in this state has it.

The only thing I ever had a problem with was my snowblower. It went to shop every year for hard start/running issues. The shop guy finally told me as much as he liked my money it was always my carb gunked with stabil red. Told me end of season, empty tank, run till dry, drain bowl. 4 years of no issue after that. Brought back to him for some belts and other stuff though.

The problem for me is that it bakes in the shed all summer. The cooler temps over winter for lawnmower and weed whacker no issue. I still use the stabil and try to rotate my gas stock. I keep 10-20 gallons for generator. I pour that into smaller 2 gallon cans and add the stabil at that point. every other month I empty the 5 gal cans into my car and refill the cans.

Top off cars, lawn equipment, then make sure cans are full before all forecasted storms winter and summer. Many people panicked and waited hours on lines for a gallon or 2 during Sandy

Originally Posted By: Sequoiasoon
The only thing I ever had a problem with was my snowblower. It went to shop every year for hard start/running issues. The shop guy finally told me as much as he liked my money it was always my carb gunked with stabil red. Told me end of season, empty tank, run till dry, drain bowl. 4 years of no issue after that. Brought back to him for some belts and other stuff though.

The problem for me is that it bakes in the shed all summer. The cooler temps over winter for lawnmower and weed whacker no issue. I still use the stabil and try to rotate my gas stock. I keep 10-20 gallons for generator. I pour that into smaller 2 gallon cans and add the stabil at that point. every other month I empty the 5 gal cans into my car and refill the cans.

Top off cars, lawn equipment, then make sure cans are full before all forecasted storms winter and summer. Many people panicked and waited hours on lines for a gallon or 2 during Sandy

I do the same dry storage winter OPE and wet storage summer OPE with tanks toped off with marine stabil added and .5oz MMO per gallon of non ethanol gas in all my OPE gas year round never a problem for next seasons start ups.

IMO, the best fuel stabilizer for *anything* is Mechanic in a Bottle. Actually dissolves carbon and varnish on contact in a short period of time. Does not contain alcohol, and yet amazingly it will absorb water, and much more so than seafoam would. It is 100% miscible with water, oil (synthetic and dino), gas, ethanol, methanol, et.al. Anything you use it in just runs better. Company (B3C Fuel Solutions) won't disclose what's in it but it smells like Windex glass cleaner (which is very weird). Ethanol shield is another product they make, but MIB has more cleaners in it. It is claimed to have anti-corrosion properties, as well as rejuvenate and protect rubber parts, fuel lines. I use it in both 2 stroke and 4 stroke OPE.

Here's a video on it: http://www.veoh.com/watch/v27881544RmFQCdFY

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back