2002 Avalon-Original coolant. Change out to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the MSDS compatible aftermarket coolants are Zerex Asian and Peak Global Lifetime both sold at Napa. Zerex Asian is the correct color, PGL is a chameleon that changes color (sort of). But I'm having such great luck using Toyota Red LLC in the Camry in my signature I won't change away from it. Not one single replacement part so far. I do a 4 qt drain and fill every 50k, clean and top off the expansion tank once a year or whenever its low. Toyota red LLC is concentrate so once you mix 50/50 with distilled you will have 2 gallons. 2 gallons makes the sticker price not so bad.

They are going to charge her some ridiculous price. Its easy to drain and fill on that car. You can buy the gallon at the dealer for approx $28 a gallon ($14.50 per gallon mixed 50/50 distilled) There is a hand tight plastic drain plug at the bottom of the radiator to let coolant out. I can tell you how to do it if you want.

I use the Toyota long life pre-mixed coolant only. It is $24/gallon but it is excellent and compatible with what she has in there. You can drain and fill the radiator really easily and just re-fill. The hardest part is removing the plastic underbody panel.

$28 a gallon? ouch...I just bought 2 gallons of Mercedes coolant for $22 a gallon...hard to believe that the MB dealer is cheaper than the Toyota dealer...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
$28 a gallon? ouch...I just bought 2 gallons of Mercedes coolant for $22 a gallon...hard to believe that the MB dealer is cheaper than the Toyota dealer...

Toyota LLC is concentrate. Once mixed 50/50 with distilled you get 2 gallons = $14.50 a gallon.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
They are going to charge her some ridiculous price. Its easy to drain and fill on that car. You can buy the gallon at the dealer for approx $28 a gallon ($14.50 per gallon mixed 50/50 distilled) There is a hand tight plastic drain plug at the bottom of the radiator to let coolant out. I can tell you how to do it if you want.

I'm all ears here.

OK. I attached a video. Its a newer Avalon, not very descriptive but give you an idea of what to expect. Will add some details.

Before opening the drain, open the radiator cap to relieve pressure to the system.

As you can see in the video your unscrewing the drain, but not all the way. This allows the coolant to drain out the small drain spout, not splash all over the place.

Depending on what you catch the coolant in, you may have to jack the car up a little bit to make room for the container under the coolant drain spout. In the video he's using a standard oil drain pan so no need to jack the car. Thanks to the drain spout I can go directly to a jug, so I lift the car with a floor jack to make room.

The expansion tank is most likely the same as the video and my Camry, not bolted on. Just lift it off the slide bracket for cleaning.

You should get 4-6 qts of fluid on the drain. Once you dilute the Toyota LLC red concentrate 50/50 with distilled water (NOT spring water) from the grocery store you will have 8 qts of coolant. Enough for the drain and fill, refilling the expansion tank, and some top offs.

Important step not mentioned in the video - After you tighten the drain, refill the radiator and the expansion tank, don't put the radiator cap on yet. At this point start the car without the cap, but have it ready to put on. You will see the coolant flow, maybe drop a little. Add more coolant to the radiator. After about 30 seconds you will see the coolant start to rise as the engine warms up, pushing air out of the system. Just before the coolant overflows, put the cap back on.

Let it warm up and watch the temp gauge. Your watching for the temp to stabilize at or below its prior setting, which means the thermostat opened and the system is functioning properly.

Does this get it all? No, there is a small amount of residual. But thats ok, the system expells any junk into the expansion tank. Clean and refill expansion tank when it gets low or once a year. Your good for another 3-4 years/50-60k on the drain. Then do it again. Could you go longer? Yeah but that seems to be the tipping point for me anyways. And I havent replaced anything with this method.

Did you change water pumps when you had the timing belt done?
You might not have the original coolant in there if you did.
Just a thought.

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
Just a thought.

huh? where did this come from?

Originally Posted By: FXjohn
Just a thought.

From your original post. If your car had a water pump changed, like during a timing belt job, the coolant may not be OEM.
They may have used OEM red and correctly mixed it with distilled water, or incorrectly used pink OEM, or used some other fluid.

Originally Posted By: FXjohn
Just a thought.

From your original post. If your car had a water pump changed, like during a timing belt job, the coolant may not be OEM.
They may have used OEM red and correctly mixed it with distilled water, or incorrectly used pink OEM, or used some other fluid.

it's never had any kind of work done whatsoever. barely 50,000 miles on it

Ah, didn't know.
50k on a 2002, you got a plum!
I put 165k on mine before passing to the next generation in the family. Good luck with yours!

Ah, didn't know.
50k on a 2002, you got a plum!
I put 165k on mine before passing to the next generation in the family. Good luck with yours!

just taking care of it for an older family member. I'm going to get new tires, new coolant, cabin filter, trans fluid, power steering fluid.
it's never seen salt!

You might have two drain plugs for the ATF/differential. Mine did.
Yes, ATF for the FWD differential, and it was a common fill from the dipstick. Drains were separate, so just an FYI.
Diff plug was on the front of the housing, and allowed another quart to drain.

You might have two drain plugs for the ATF/differential. Mine did.
Yes, ATF for the FWD differential, and it was a common fill from the dipstick. Drains were separate, so just an FYI.
Diff plug was on the front of the housing, and allowed another quart to drain.

I'm gonna have it done at the dealer, but that's the only thing left to do now. Unless I forgot something. I did double check, it has 62k on it.
I can't believe how sucky the positive terminal is. especially compared to side terminals.

Yeah, mickey mouse clamp if I remember right.
I'd have the dealer change the PCV valve too, if it was me. They only cost a finn, but those 1MZ-FE engines can get sludge if they are ignored.

62k - Probably run another 10 years easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back