Best oil for Yamaha Waverunner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased 2 used (2007 and 2008) Yamaha FX HO waverunners. These are the 160 hp mr1 engines that spin to about 10000 rpm.
Of course, Yamaha recommends their Yamalube 4w, which is a 10w40 conventional.
Anyone have experience or thoughts on just using this vs. a better option for this hi-revving engine?

Thanks

Yamalube 4W would be my only choice. It was developed specifically for that usage and environment.

Virgin oil analysis' of Yamalube shows it to be nothing special. I've run M1 Turbo-Diesel 5W-40 in my two Waverunner engines since 2008, and this year will switch to Amsoil Marine 4-stroke 10W-40. These engines are bulletproof, so anything meeting their wide-open spec in the owners manual would be OK. I think all they call for is an SL-spec multi-vis.

Originally Posted By: lyle
Virgin oil analysis' of Yamalube shows it to be nothing special. I've run M1 Turbo-Diesel 5W-40 in my two Waverunner engines since 2008, and this year will switch to Amsoil Marine 4-stroke 10W-40. These engines are bulletproof, so anything meeting their wide-open spec in the owners manual would be OK. I think all they call for is an SL-spec multi-vis.

I agree. I run 5w-40 HDEO's in my marine engines. Cheaper than marine specific oils and I have no doubt the engines will outlast the machines.

Yamalube is the name of every oil they make. Which one are you referring to? Is the VOA here on BITOG somewhere?

From my personal experience in a waverunner:

Mystik JT-4 HP PWC 4 stroke oil
10W-40
exceeds FC-W (yamalube does not)
full synthetic
ester
convenient ordering and home delivery-no sales tax
lower cost than ripoff yamalube

The Mystik oil looks interesting. Where do you get it?
The other "pwc" specific oils I've seen are Motul and Maxima.

I have used Amsoil 10w40 high zinc formula in my 2006 Honda R12X turbo since about 30 hours. I bought it new and used Honda oil the first couple of changes.

Now sitting at 370 hours ,and running great!!
Also running 3.5 lbs of boost over stock.

I just did an UOA on my 07' Kawi Ultra 250X which is supercharged and known for gas in oil.
Went 29 hours on this Yamalube 10W40 and it sheared down to a 10W with 3.5% fuel.

Last time I used my waverunner (vx1100 2005), I found that aprox 2 gallons of water (sea water), were inside the waverunner mixed with black oil. I checked the oil level and it was empty. I also put 2 quarters of 20w 50 oil in the oil tank, but have not used it since then.

I would like to have some advice to know why there was water mixed with black oil. And also would like to know if the 20 w 50 oil would be bad for the waverunner. Thanks

I run Rotella T6 5w-40 in both my 2009 FX Cruisers HO and SHO but haven't run a UOA yet. I've also used Mobil 1 10w-40 High Mileage in my Yamaha F225 outboards with great UOA's so I wouldn't hesitate to you that oil either in a pwc.

I honestly think that as long as you change the oil regularly with whatever you want, time will kill our engines before the oil we use starts to play a part. So use whatever makes you happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back