Rubber Safe Penetrant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be removing the trac bar bolt on the Cherokee. I want to be able to get it out WITHOUT cutting the bolt or ruining the tracbar bushing.

PB Blaster is out because it's too agressive with rubber. Would ATF and Acetone work well with the rubber?

Anything else?

I can't see using acetone on something you're afraid PB will eat. Of course, the PB isn't exactly going to kill the rubber instantly. You could use it, then clean the bushing.

You could try hammering at the bolt (use a socket to protect the head) to loosen up any rust. That can't possibly hurt the bushing.

I've gotten PB Blaster on lots of rubber bushings and stuff and haven't noticed it harming them... Acetone is definitely a no-go, however.

Could you spray some PB blaster on a small paint brush and just paint it where you need it so you don't get it on rubber parts?

Last edited:
Silicone grease such as ez-slide and sprays.

If you lube up a pickle fork with silicone grease and spray a bushing with spray silicone may be your best bet to smack things apart.

Rubber bushings usually get torched out. But if you use a lubed pickle fork it may slide in deep enough to really separate things.

I wouldn't go to much trouble to try and save a bushing, you may be disappointed.

I frequently use a drip applicator of triflow for this type of job. Sure its a little pricey but it does work!

Originally Posted By: Falken
Silicone grease such as ez-slide and sprays.

If you lube up a pickle fork with silicone grease and spray a bushing with spray silicone may be your best bet to smack things apart.

Rubber bushings usually get torched out. But if you use a lubed pickle fork it may slide in deep enough to really separate things.

I wouldn't go to much trouble to try and save a bushing, you may be disappointed.

It's not the bushing that gets stuck. There's a bolt that goes through the bushing to a captive nut in a "box" that you can't get to without welding. I'm trying to avoid breaking the trac bar bolt getting it out.

On the donor jeep I'm just going to rip the bushing out and soak it in PB Blaster so I can remove with no problems.

I wonder if maybe you're overthinking this a little. If you had ordered a new bolt when you first started this thread, you could probably have a new one in your hand by now.

My official recommendation it to first hammer it, then soak it in PB for 2 hours (or Kroil for a half hour) then blast it with an impact wrench. If that doesn't work, and it really should, kill the bolt and buy a new one. You'll be home in time for Corn Flakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back