Caliper Slide Pin Rubber Bushings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello fellow car guys/gals>:)

Just finished with the brakes on a 06 Yaris - The lower caliper slide pins had small rubber bushings on them - they were siezed and a bugger to get out. However, even with syn lube they would not go back in. The only way I could get them in was to remove the small rubber bushing.

Just wondering if there are any forseable problems driving without the lower rubber bushings? All feels normal and great brake feel, called my local dealer and they stated the rubber bushings were for noise suppression, and if I removed mine I would be fine. So far without them no noise what so ever.

Just lookin for a second opinion - noise is not a factor for me - just safety.

Thanks
nik

some noise wouldn't bother me - as long as its not screeching but little squeaks here and there I wouldn't mind.. I have the stereo turned up most of the time anyway.

I had similar issues. I had rust build up in the holes and running emery cloth and slide lube I was able to get them in.If you leave them out, you will get high pitched and clunking noises.Your pads might wear somewhat uneven since those bushings do take up some slop.

You would have to remove the old grease and use sil-glyde with new bushings. I found out even synthetic greases can cause bushings to swell up. I removed the bushings from the end of the caliper pins on my 02 Silverado and ran it without them. Minor issue is clunking noise when stabbing the brake pedal.

Last edited:
You will probertly experience som clunking noise. The rubber bushing have grown becouse it has bin lubricated with acid rich grease. You should use acidfree grease like siliconegrease.

I've never had that issue, but I would say it will not cause any safety issues. But it may cause uneven pad wear as mentioned above. And a little extra brake noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back