VW 502: 5w-30 v. 5w-40 v. 0w-40 for 2011 Tiguan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new to me 2011 VW Tiguan SEL 4Motion with 18,000 miles with the 2.0 Turbo gas engine. It has Castrol 5w-30 full synthetic in it which is what the previous VW dealer uses (I know this because I called them). The dealer I will be using in the future puts in 5w-40 Castrol Professional OE Full Synthetic (I realize that could well be Group III and not a "true full synthetic"). How would one rationally choose between a 502 certified 5w-30 v. a 5w-40 v. a 0w-40? Is the viscosity more important or would brand be more important? In other other words, would a brand other than Castrol be clearly better? Climate-wise, I live in Lenexa, Kansas. Typically, it gets into the 100's during the summer but so far this year has been unusually cool. It hasn't gotten really cold during the last couple of winters. I am used to Japanese cars and both 0w-40 and 5w-40 seem awfully thick from an initial flow point of view. All opinions will be appreciated.

By all means you can use a 40 grade and using Castrol brand products is NOT important. What is important is the 502 and M1 0w40 would be my go to oil in that vehicle. It is reasonably priced when on sale at the auto stores and most WM's carry the 5qt jug now for $24-$25...you cant beat it IMO.

Viscosity is very important to protect turbocharged engines in the heat.

Personally, I believe that many 30-weight oils are too thin for long-term durability of turbo engines. Manufactures allow a 30-weight for MPG's purposes, but also make room for a thicker viscosity in hot climates.

A 30-weight oil at 200*F. will have a similar viscosity as a 40-weight oil at 220*F - 225*F (which is the temperature your oil will likely operate in this summer).

Recommend a 40-weight oil that meets VW's specs for your application. I.E.: Amsoil's 5W-40 (EFM) / Shell's Rotella T-6 / Castrol 5W-40 / Mobil 1 0W-40

From my understanding the Castrol Syntec 5w-30 and 5w-40 are both group 3 oils. The Professional OE 5w-40 has a dye in it, but is still a group 3 oil. This is my understanding from what I've read here. Now, the Castrol 0w-30/40 oils may be better and I'm greatly interested in this topic as well because I own a 2012 Golf 2.5l. But really, my car has a 6 1/2 Qt Sump w/an oil cooler so I really don't think it makes much difference since I'm not driving on Autoban speeds for hrs. nor live in Alaska in January. P.S. I don't believe the Castrol 5w-30 is approved VW 502 oil.

If you're right about the Castrol 5w-30 not being 502 certified, that would mean a VW dealer put in a non-502 certified oil and charged VW for appropriate scheduled warranty maintenance.

I just checked on Castrol's webpage. The OE 5w-30 European Formula is 502 approved. The other 5w-30 Syntec is not. I guess it depends which one they used?

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Viscosity is very important to protect turbocharged engines in the heat.

Personally, I believe that many 30-weight oils are too thin for long-term durability of turbo engines. Manufactures allow a 30-weight for MPG's purposes, but also make room for a thicker viscosity in hot climates.

A 30-weight oil at 200*F. will have a similar viscosity as a 40-weight oil at 220*F - 225*F (which is the temperature your oil will likely operate in this summer).

Recommend a 40-weight oil that meets VW's specs for your application. I.E.: Amsoil's 5W-40 (EFM) / Shell's Rotella T-6 / Castrol 5W-40 / Mobil 1 0W-40

Not so. For example, BMW's in-house 5w-30 and German Castrol 0w-30 are both very heavy 30-weight oils (not much lighter than the SM version of M1 0w-40) with an HTHS >=3.5cP.

The specs/approvals on the bottle are more indicative of an oil's performance than just the grade.

And BTW, while I am certain that Amsoil's EFM is an excellent lubricant, it does not officially meet VW's spec for this application. It is recommended for it. Which means that AMSOIL is taking the liability for any potential warranty issues, not VW.

For a 30-weight oil, Castrol's version is more the exception as far as viscosity is concerned (in comparison to the average much-thinner 30-weight oil of other brands.)

My statement was concerning the general masses and not for the exception to the general rule.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
For a 30-weight oil, Castrol's version is more the exception as far as viscosity is concerned (in comparison to the average much-thinner 30-weight oil of other brands.)

My statement was concerning the general masses and not for the exception to the general rule.

It isn't an exception. It is because the oil has the approvals it does, which denote an HTHS of >=3.5cP. The same goes with the OE BMW oil, many oils from Lubro-Moly, Fuchs, Mobil....etc.

There are plenty of heavy 30-weight oils on the market. And there are plenty of light ones as well. Which is why one must be aware of the requirements of the manufacturer with respect to their vehicle and whatever factory approvals/certifications that are required, as these things are factored-in.

You must be going to take it to Bud Brown VW in Olathe.

That Castrol professional 5W-40 is a VERY robust oil. Just go with it since it will be free.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
It isn't an exception. It is because the oil has the approvals it does, which denote an HTHS of >=3.5cP. The same goes with the OE BMW oil, many oils from Lubro-Moly, Fuchs, Mobil....etc.

Absolutely. Comparing a GF-5 0w-30 or 5w-30 to a Euroopean >3.5 HTHS oil or an HDEO 0w-30 or 5w-30 will show substantial differences. If you were in an absolute pinch with either BMW and had to choose only between M1 AFE 0w-30 or Delvac Elite 222 0w-30, I know which one you'd pick.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Jasper8146
Yes. I am taking it to Bud Brown. How did you know?

They might be the only dealer in the KC area using a quality, VW approved oil.

We use Mobil 1 0w40 in all the Volkswagens, Audis, BMW's, Mercedes, etc. that we service. Mobil 1 0w40 is a relatively thin 40w oil. I would not hesitate to run it in any modern engine. I bet that it would perform better in GM's 3.6 GDI V6 than any Dexos 5w30. My Trailblazer with its 4.2 I6 is going to get it in a couple months when the GTX is spent.

I talked to the Denver VW dealer again and they use the Castrol Professional OE 5W-30 and the parts guy said it does have 502 approval on the label. After listening to everybody, I think I'm going to go with the Castrol Professional OE 5w-40, at least during the summer.

When I started this thread I didn't realize that German Castrol 0W-30 European formula met the 502 standard and also wasn't aware of how "heavy" it is compared to other 0W-30's, 5W-30's, 0W-40's and even 5W-40's. Based on your experience and that of others, am actually thinking of switching to the German Castrol 0W-30 Euro formula from the 5W-40 Professional OE because since switching from the 5w-30 Professional OE to the 5W-40 Professional OE, the fuel economy seems to be down at least a 1/2 mile per gallon since the switch. I am a very easy driver and thus believe I am probably an ideal candidate for using a slightly thinner oil. I like the idea of oil flowing immediately upon start up because my driving involves a fair amount of short trips. Am not sure whether I will switch now or wait until winter. But, when winter comes, I can't see any reason to be running 5w-40. I actually put a bottle of the 5W-40 professional OE in my freezer overnight just to see how it would flow when really cold, and it hardly flowed at all. That is in distinct contrast to a bunch of other oils. Am probably going to buy one bottle of the GC 0W-30 pretty soon and give it the freezer test as well. Will report the results if I do that.

Many have also noted poor fuel economy and loss of power with GC 0W-30 over the years as compared to something like M1 0W-40, on various forums including this one.

Last edited:
Flip a coin between M1 0W-40 and GC 0W-30 or go with whatever is on sale. Both are VW 502, both are good oils and bot are readily available. Either is a good pick.

After a few runs of Mobil 1 0W-40 in the VW, I've gone back to GC. First things first, it was on sale so it was the easy choice. Just something about the GC that just seems to make the car feel that much smoother and the engine purr that much better. To be honest, I want to love the Mobil 1 0W-40 for it's specs and up-to-date SN formula, but GC just seems to stand the test of time and run better in my car.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back