Chain Lube for Combine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I presume this is the right spot for this.

I recently bought an old John Deere combine (a 3300 if anyone is interested) and as most combines do, it has a large number of chains to be lubed. A combine is a dirty environment though most of what is flying around is non-abrasive vegetable chaff.

From my research, there seems to be two schools of thought: a gooey mess, like bar & chain oil, or some other such mixture that soaks into the rollers but stays on the outside and doesn't easily sling off (but does attract a lot of dirt); or a dry penetrating stuff that get down into the rollers and leaves more or less a dry film (often moly) but leaves out outside dry.

Some home-grown alternatives are to use motor oil or gear oil, sometimes with various things added like a moly mixture, or ZDDP.

Since most chains reputedly fail from the inside, seems to me something that penetrates but doesn't leave the chain gooey on the outside is good because it doesn't attract dirt. Getting the oil INSIDE the chain is more important than the outside, though it doesn't hurt to reduce wear on the sprokets

Two products have come up frequently, the John Deere Chain & Cable lube (lots of moly) and the Justice Brothers stuff (the makeup of which is pretty much undisclosed wherever I have looked). The Deere product is $5 can while the JB is $9-12. DuPont Chain saver ($14.) and Schaeffer ($20.) have also come up and both have moly.

If anyone has an particular information to impart or product recommendations, I would appreciate it. If someone can educate me on chain lubes with references, I would be doubly appreciative. If someone has recommendations based on use with a combine, it's triple appreciation time.

3 row or 4 row, 329 gas? We just use the Deere stuff on our 4400 and 6600. If we dont have any we use oil and on the augers/elevators we use used motor oil.

Deere is specific to the application. Motorcycle chain lube would be my second choice - solvents to "carry" the lube inside, which then evaporate, leaving the surface clean and less likely to hold dirt. Warm chain allows lube to flow better.

Good article on motorcycle chains, lube, and failures in this months issue of "Motorcyclist"...

Be careful cleaning it. Avoid pressure washers/hose and avoid wire brush. Better is nylon brush with kerosene or simple green followed by lube.

Last edited:
in 2010 I worked a season for a custom harvester and we ran 2 CaseIH 2388 combines. We ran them for 6 months straight in wheat, milo, and barley. He used a spray on graphite lube, or when we ran out he said to leave them dry. We didn't have any chain or sprocket failures.

Salesrep: It looks good but is is worth 4x the cost of the Deere product?

Volk: I only have a 10 foot small grain combine and it has the 219 gas.

Thanks all for the info so far.

15 years ago, I was the commissioning engineer on an MDF (Medium Density Fibreboard) plant, and the forming line (well the whole plant really) had hundreds of chain drives with drip feed lubricators.

We used (Caltex) chain and bar oil across the whole plant. Handled the heat and copious fibre with no issues.

Shannow: I've been reading similar things from other sources and I give your opinion a little more weight than most. Thanks!

Shannow's right , though if you look in to high temp chain lubes, (think bakery) you'll find lots of chain lubes listed in food grade type applications.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Salesrep: It looks good but is is worth 4x the cost of the Deere product?

Volk: I only have a 10 foot small grain combine and it has the 219 gas.

Thanks all for the info so far.

Schaeffers 227 moly roller chain retails at for about $10

SumOils anti-wear chain lube is pretty good stuff. I'm not sure how hot combine chains get though, if it's over 250ºF you might want to look at a high temp.

Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
in 2010 I worked a season for a custom harvester and we ran 2 CaseIH 2388 combines. We ran them for 6 months straight in wheat, milo, and barley. He used a spray on graphite lube, or when we ran out he said to leave them dry. We didn't have any chain or sprocket failures.

Exactly what we used to do, old farmer said better dry than carrying all kinds of oily [censored] in to the machine and gumming it up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back