Honda 15400-PLM-A02 oil filter now made in USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the original Canadian ones are now gone. Canadian ones said "Honeywell" on them; new ones have no maker's name.

The new American ones are visually the same as the Canadian ones except that the holes in bottom are more oval than round. The holes are larger than the ones in the Filtech filters.

Got any pics?
smile.gif

Oval holes would seem to be indicative of Purolater construction. A picture would help. FWIW--Oldtommy

Didn't Honeywell recently close a Canadian facility? Maybe they lost the contract with Honda as well, though it's certainly possible that the new A02 remains a Honeywell filter.

Originally Posted By: redhat
Got any pics?
smile.gif

Here you go. Need bigger ones?

There's a washer taped to the top, by the way. The dealership does that.

end.jpg

side.jpg

I've given up on Honda oil filters and have a small stash of Kia/Hyundai oil filters. They fit my CRV and are $5.00 each.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Are you willing to cut that filter open? It looks pretty decent from the outside!

I can do that. I have three on hand right now, so one can be sacrificed in the name of science.

I have an older page on my site where I compare the then-new Canadian-made A02 to the original PT7 filter, so we even have something against which to compare the new American-made A02.
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/oilfilter/honda_filter_comparo.html

My dissection will need to wait until I get more time, though. Maybe tomorrow?

It's a FRAM. Compare this to my exposé of the Canadian-made A02 on my older Web page (see previous post).

If pics are too big for some readers, please let me know and I will make them smaller. They're about 220K each, at the moment.

can-off.JPG

all-parts.JPG

baseplate.JPG

adbv.JPG

media.JPG

media-angle.JPG

That glue is about 1/16" thick between the pleats and is REALLY tough. There's no engine on earth that will generate sufficient oil pressure to separate the media and the end-cap. I'm certain that the media will collapse before it separates from the end caps. The glue is not hard, but sort of rubbery.
I've pulled apart a number of FRAM-made Honda filters, and I have perfect confidence in their "paper" end caps and their sealing methods.
media-close.JPG

The relief-valve seal seems to be complete: I cannot make air blow past the seal when it is closed. Filtech filters make a sort of a springy "doink" noise when you tap them on a countertop, sort of like what you get when you dry-fire a Glock. FRAM filters don't do that. I think the doink comes from Filtech's relief valve. I have an A01 Filtech filter, but haven't yet pulled it apart to see if the relief valve is responsible for the doink.
relief-valve-top.JPG

relief-valve-btm.JPG

@Tegger:

Which size is the end cap for an oil filter socket on that model (the 02) is that 64 mm with 14 flutes..and is that the same as the aftermarket Fram branded unit as well that is the replacement?.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Which size is the end cap for an oil filter socket on that model (the 02) is that 64 mm with 14 flutes

Both A01 and A02 take the same cap-socket, which is the 64mm with 14 flats (Honda PN: 07AAA-PLCA100).

..and is that the same as the aftermarket Fram branded unit as well that is the replacement?.

I don't know, sorry. I might get time to check that out tomorrow.

It is funny that many years ago, Honda dealers used to have a comparison of Honda vs Fram cut-away in their parts store. I wonder if they still do or not.

The media looks to be different from that in the OCOD, and there's more of it. I know looks are not an indication of quality, but the media in the OCOD looks like recycled newsprint compared to this one...

Yes it's different media, I believe Honda specs a very high flow low efficiency media for their filters, as does Toyota.

From members here that were privy to a tour, we've learned this filter is basically a Tough Guard with special Honda spec media.

As always, thanks for cutting and posting! Great pics....

Great pic Vikas, I find it amusing they pick on the endcap when their "metal" endcap leave 3/4 of the end completely exposed!

Of course a run of the mill OCOD will make most filters look pretty good!
laugh.gif

@Tegger:

Which size is the end cap for an oil filter socket on that model (the 02) is that 64 mm with 14 flutes..and is that the same as the aftermarket Fram branded unit as well that is the replacement?.

I just checked this today. There were several FRAM sizes listed for the various Honda models, but all of those cans are larger than 15400-PLM-A01/2, which means the Honda-sized tool won't fit.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Long long time ago, this used to be shown at Honda dealer parts department!

I have one A01 here (used). I just ripped it apart in order to verify the labels on your image.
What I discovered is that one caption on your image is MISLEADING.

I repost your image below, but with my own notes added, in YELLOW:
honda-vs-fram.jpg

Even worse, I was able to separate the rubber glue from the media much more easily with the Filtech than I was with the FRAM-made A02.

Also, the "doink" noise is now explained: the Filtech does indeed have a coil spring that holds the relief valve closed. The roundy silver thing you see when you peek inside an unmolested A01 is the bottom of the spring housing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back