TINY oil filter for WRX!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The oil filters for the WRX are by far, the smallest I have seen.

For a turbo 2.5L engine that has a sump of 4.4 qts and a OCI recommendation of 7500 miles, I would expect a larger filter. . . .

This just seals the deal for me in my desire to change the oil every 3000 miles.

ebbmg7.jpg

My finger touching the base of the filter:

o9rccn.jpg

That's one and a half inches of filter length!!!!

yktut.jpg

Definitely one of the smallest I've seen, kinda looks like a OEM hyundai filter but smaller, also amazed the WRX only has a 4.4 qt oil capacity, by comparison the T5 in my volvo takes 6 qt and its a 2.5 turbo as well.Very interesting. I would say your plan to go 3k on an oil change is a wise one especially if you plan on running a tune.

Lol don't under estimate that little filter. Been doing 7,500 miles on them and they are pretty good (backed by UOA). A healthy engine don't need much filtration as the oil remains pretty clean.

I've cut a few open and filtration media is pretty dense and well made.

You guys get so fired up about such things.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Run synthetic for 5k but i'd at least change the filter at 2500-3k.

No. I's changing it at 3K.

I am tuning this car and have plans to push it to the limits often.

Originally Posted By: KHP
Lol don't under estimate that little filter. Been doing 7,500 miles on them and they are pretty good (backed by UOA). A healthy engine don't need much filtration as the oil remains pretty clean.

I've cut one open and filtration media is pretty dense and well made.

You guys get so fired up about such things.

Yep, same here.

And send out a sample to determine an appropriate OCI. With the oils you're planning to run, 3k would be a flipping waste...most likely - only a UOA will tell.

Anyway, disregard the "run it for Xk with dino and Yk with synthetic" guys. Blanket statements about OCI don't help. Your motor, running any of the synthetics I mentioned or those you mentioned in your other thread will LIKELY take you well beyond 5k, if this truly will be a second, non-DD vehicle.

Also, from personal experience, I can say the car will be taking you to your limits before you take it to its :p. Seriously, I thought I was driving like a mad man at my first (only, so far) rally cross, but the STI acted like I was taking a leisurely ride through the cones. Again, your tune and driving style may affect your OCI to a minor or major degree. The fact that you'll most likely be up at temp for most of your OCI's will help. The rich tune and possible high temps, not so much.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about the size of the filter, there is no problem using that filter for at least 5k.

Here's a uoa using that filter for 7,480. Insolubles at .3
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2728443

Another report from the same user who ran that filter for 7,538 miles, insolubles at .3 again.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post2558815

I don't recall ever seeing a uoa with an oem subaru filter where I saw elevated insolubles. I would have absolutely no problems running that filter up to 10k, but just my .02.

*Edit- I just realized KHP posted in this thread, and the links above are to his uoa's.

Originally Posted By: sxg6
I*Edit- I just realized KHP posted in this thread, and the links above are to his uoa's.

Thanks for digging those up. It's been a while since I've seen those.

How much filterable 'dirt' do you all actually think is in your oil anyhow? Uts a perfectly adequate filter. Subaru engineers know so much more than we do.

Originally Posted By: zloveraz
Remember it's not the size of the filter but how you use it...
lolrun.gif

Motion in the ocean.....how you wiggle the worm........
lol.gif

Your signature for the WRX should read, "2 Filters, One OCI!"
crackmeup2.gif

Once upon a time our 2005 Legacy GT 5mt wagon(similar 2.5L turbo motor) recommended 7500 miles OCI with dino. I did not believe it so stuck to 4000oci. We likely have same oil filter.

1.5 years latter they reverted recommendation(strong) to 4mo/3750 miles. We now are at 150,000 miles with a a trouble free motor (albeit stock never did Stage 1).

We use whatever dino initially dealer and then a mechanic throws in. Let you know when the turbo blows up
smile.gif
My current Subie expert is partial to Amalie Wolf's Head. No idea what it is but it still pretty clear after 3500 miles and does not burn a drop. My wife does 1500 miles/month majority of it her 35 mile highway commute each way.

If it makes you feel better, you can substitute a taller filter. I have run short subaru brand filters, longer style subaru filters, short aftermarket and longer aftermarket. Only filter problem I have ever had was the last wix I ran: I suspect the ADBV was not functioning properly.

Millions of miles have been logged in subarus with a low spec bypass valve. You should decided if you think the spec is necessary. Here's a list of some "tall filters":

Mazda Roki Filter (fredbeans), stock bypass spec
M1-110 (verify, I have not run that one)
Fram XG7317 (verify as well)
K&N HP 1010 (end nut is nice on some exhaust setups)
Bosch 3323
P1 14610

I stocked up on the subaru tall Roki filters before they all dried out. I should be good for a few years now. At that point I'll decide what's next.

Originally Posted By: Timothy Ferguson
The turbos require 3750 mile oil changes by the way. No matter how you drive it.

It used to be that way. Subaru changed that for MY2011+ turbo engines. Turbo is not automatically severe service. So they do allow 7500 mile OCI's now.

Last edited:
Was just looking at Purolator's site and they spec a soon to be #PL14615 for the 2012 Forester. I'm thinking this could be the "tall" filter with the factory bypass combo that many like to run.

Will have to wait and see..

I see no reason to NOT follow Subaru's recommendations. Somehow we seem to think we "experts" are more knowledgeable than the Subaru Engineers.

According to my Wifes Forester 2011MY manual and validated subsequently following model years it states quote "Turbos must have the synthetic oil service done at least every 3,750 miles or 3 3/4 months." It only mentions 7,500 mile oil changes for N/A models which we own both 2009 and 2011 MY Foresters and the way my wife drives the [censored] out of hers I don't dare go that long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back