Monroe vs KYB....again

Status
Not open for further replies.

cp3

Where are we in the opinion pole?

Strut mounts are gone on the front of the G6 and at 260k km, I'm sure the struts could use replacement too. I put KYB on the back last year, shocks and mounts and have no issues or concerns with them.

I realize the Monroe Quick-Struts would be easier but how much softer are they? And do the springs really need to be replaced?

What about the associated pieces? Replace everything? As far as the insulator, spring seat and mount, any brand preferred?

I have had good luck with both brands in the past. In your case I would use the KYB just to keep it the same as the rear. Replace everything since it's all going to be apart and be done with it.

Last edited:
I've used both as well and didn't care for either one of them. Neither held up particularly well and the Monroes were too soft and the KYB's rode like rocks. I've been extremely happy with my Sachs struts...used them on my Honda Accord and have them installed on the minivan. Price is about the same but they are far superior in ride, handling and durability to the Monroes and KYB's in my opinion.

My vote rather than a quickstrut would be for keeping the OE spring and use Monroe Sensatrac struts and strut mount or ACDelco Professional struts and mounts. The OE parts would be better but are way too expensive.

SInce you already have KYB on the back, I would install another pair on the front.

However, I've been happy with the recent Monroe OESpectrum (foreign cars only). The KYB offerings have been dismal. The OE ones on my Prius are pretty much worn out at 60k, and the aftermarket KYB Excel-G on my father's van are stupid soft and feel "worn out," even though they are brand new. I thought they were OK at first, but the lousy performance became evident after a few thousand miles.

How about Gabriel? They also have a quick strut called "Readymount"

Gabriel Readymount part numbers:
G57069 (left)
G57070 (right)

It is MUCH easier to just replace everything at once, and also cheaper. Plus you don't have to mess around with a spring compressor or disassemble and reassemble.

When you replace struts you almost always have to replace the mounts--they do go bad! Also, they cost almost as much as the struts themselves. Once you add up the cost of the struts and mount sand insulators, you're getting new springs for free when you opt for the quick struts.

Normally I'd say get the KYB since your rear shocks are KYB and to match, BUT they're not brand new since you're had them on for a year already. The different age/mileage from front to rear would make that moot anyway. But usually people replace all four at the same time.

Also, about how many miles on the KYB's from last year?

If you have a LOT of miles on them, consider getting new Monroe or Gabriel rear shocks to go along with the quick struts: both Monroe and Gabriel are having rebates until the end of April which would make the rear shocks free or almost free after the rebate.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn

When you replace struts you almost always have to replace the mounts--they do go bad! Also, they cost almost as much as the struts themselves. Once you add up the cost of the struts and mount sand insulators, you're getting new springs for free when you opt for the quick struts.

In theory, quick struts are a great idea. However, as usual, the aftermarket cuts corners when they offer these assemblies. Instead of having the exact spring for a particular engine/trans, it is likely that all trims of the same vehicle will use one spring. Likewise, the aftermarket bellow boots are never an exact fit, and the mounts are of a questionable quality.

The OP is better off replacing the hardware with new OE hardware and either a new OE strut or a high-quality aftermarket (Koni or Bilsten) as opposed to buy the quick strut. Sure, this will be a much more expensive route, but the job will be done right and he can expect the same service life that he had received from the factory unit.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Normally I'd say get the KYB since your rear shocks are KYB and to match, BUT they're not brand new since you're had them on for a year already. The different age/mileage from front to rear would make that moot anyway. But usually people replace all four at the same time.

Your comment does not make any sense. An analogy would be to tell someone who has two 30% worn, Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires on the rear axle, that it is OK to install a set of UHP summer tires (i.e. Potenza RE760 sport) on the front axle. Just because the rears may be slightly worn, does not mean their performance characteristics have changed.

I have had no complaints with Monroe's both their regular struts/socks, and most recently their quick strut.

I did the MOOG quick struts on the zx2 and it made a HUGE difference in the stance, the car is 1.5" higher all the way around even after 5k miles and the new springs settling. The ride is firmer.. It is just a hole lot better. I'm glad I went with a quick strut the springs were sagging badly on my car and I never really saw that until I replaced them

Originally Posted By: cp3

Strut mounts are gone on the front of the G6 and at 260k km, I'm sure the struts could use replacement too. I put KYB on the back last year, shocks and mounts and have no issues or concerns with them.

I realize the Monroe Quick-Struts would be easier but how much softer are they? And do the springs really need to be replaced?

What about the associated pieces? Replace everything? As far as the insulator, spring seat and mount, any brand preferred?

I would stick to kyb and keep your old springs. Cheaper in the end and better parts. Monroe are not as stiff as the kyb are so it will bounce more.

Originally Posted By: cp3

Don't miss the Gabriel Ultras if they have one for your application. A great product at a great price!

Originally Posted By: jdmstr22
I would stick to kyb and keep your old springs. Cheaper in the end and better parts. Monroe are not as stiff as the kyb are so it will bounce more.

This is probably what I would do, unless you can find specific instances that the KYB Quick Struts work well on your specific application. Sticking with the same brand on all four at least gives you a chance of having some uniformity front to back.

If there is this much inconsistency among brands as being discussed here, it seems that sticking with the same brand would be the lesser potential evil.

What a challenge aftermarket parts use has become.

I'll have to pass on the Sachs and Gabriel suggestions as I'm pretty much limited to what RockAuto has. There isn't a huge difference in price between the KYB and Monroe struts. All of the related parts are pretty close too.

I used Monroe Quick-Struts on the wife's Corolla last year. I'm pleased with the build quality of the replacement parts, I'm just disappointed in the valving and possibly the front spring rate. While the rears made a big difference, the front of the car feels almost as if I never replaced them. Both the rate and the valving could use some firming up, but they're on there now.

Monroe apparently have a lifetime warranty, so that's good. But I'm not sure I would buy them again.

You could just go with the KYBs since you say you are happy with the rears. I prefer Monroe Senstracs. There's no real reason to think you have to go with KYB just because the rears have them. You don't have KYB in the front now and KYB vs Monroe on the front doesn't necessarily mean the KYB will give a better front to rear balance and ride with the KYB rears. Although, it could be possible, the KYB front and rear struts are probably not all that balanced in valving with the car's parameters.

Why do you have to get them at Rockauto? If say you wanted ACDelco front struts, or the OE which I doubt due to be way more expensive, Amazon might be a better source. You can print off any rebate available and still use it. edit: I forgote you are in Canada.

Again, I would want to reuse the original spring. I think they are higher quality and better matched to the vehicle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mechanicx
edit: I forgote you are in Canada.
thumbsup2.gif
08.gif

Anywhere else I check can't match their prices when shipping up here. And local parts are just hilarious (eg. Canadian Tire's price on Monroe strut and mount is $191.69 & $54.69).

I do also like the idea of keeping the original springs, I don't think there is anything wrong with them. With a spring compressor and impact I don't think it's that much more work.

How about the bolts at the bottom of the strut, should they be replaced with the strut? Or no benefit if they're not broken?

My take on Monroe isn't to favorable.
they're OE supplier for GM, AC Delco and Motorcraft.
They're good struts & shocks.
However they're out of the box soft. they give the new car handling immediately.
That's OK, but they tend to not last as long.
the KYB's are stiffer out of the box, and tend to last longer over time.
Personally they're better constructed, and also carry a lifetime warranty.
The KYB's to me just seem to be an all around better shock.

I have used KYB and Monroe and have not really noticed a difference in term if softness or durability difference. I currently have Monroes on my Equinox and enjoy the ride. It can handle heavier loads and the ride is controlled and smooth.

OK, so I went with KYB. Ordered from RockAuto, great service as usual. Figured I'd post some pics just for fun.

I was happy with the quality of everything. Not regretting going with KYB, not yet anyway. I was disappointed with the plastic bearing or bushing that came with the mount but the factory one was also. Everything worked and fit perfectly and it made a fairly dramatic improvement in ride and handling. Old struts were pretty tired. All in all not a bad job. Glad I picked up an electric impact gun a little while ago, would not have wanted to attempt this with out it.

My delivery of goodies!
IMG_20130525_105403-Copy_zps800cc25b.jpg

Everything was packed well, lots of paper!
IMG_20130525_105650_zps0e97e826.jpg

Struts shipped at full extension and made in the USA. They are firmer than the what they replaced but they were done, very little resistance either way and they just stayed where they were left. They no longer tried to extend. So I couldn't really say if they are stiffer than stock or not but I do feel they are suitable for the car. Not stiff but the car feels tight.
IMG_20130525_105621-Copy_zpsef5eee9f.jpg

Mounts seem to be decent quality, included new nuts.
IMG_20130525_105942-Copy_zps6b335071.jpg

IMG_20130525_105955_zps92b38ad3.jpg

Both sides of the bearing
IMG_20130525_110014_zps6b99b67d.jpg

IMG_20130525_110315_zps233ee066.jpg

Upper seat and insulator
IMG_20130525_110531_zps820f49c0.jpg

IMG_20130525_110630_zps9d768881.jpg

Lower insulator
IMG_20130525_110718_zps5a7e5828.jpg

Moog boot & bumper. The other Moog boxes are stabilizer bar frame bushings. I replaced the fronts while I was at it, will do the rears at a later date. This was probably worse than doing the struts. Not a lot of space to get at them on this car.
IMG_20130525_110848_zps7cce91ad.jpg

What came out.
IMG_20130525_114224_zpsc88810de.jpg

What went back in.
IMG_20130525_121710_zps137426ab.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back