California Brake Cleaner ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stopped by a mechanic shops to pick up a box of Liqui Moly break cleaner. I have been buying this brake cleaner for couple years now and it works like magic. But, they told me that they do not carry Liqui Moly break cleaner anymore because their vendors got caught by selling illegal chemicals.

He said Liqui Moly break cleaners are not allowed to sell in California state ONLY and a mechanic handed me a this Johnson break cleaner with side mark saying "California Use" only.

Why are some break cleaners illegal?

Because they are chlorinated or non-chlorinated?

anyone know why?

The chlorinated stuff makes fosgene gas when burned. {removed comments that were not needed} Calif is afraid that someone may burn some and die. I bought a case of the good stuff in az a few weeks ago
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
The Liqui-Moly product is non-chlorinated but it is a CARB restricted VOC. The Johnson Brake Cleaner is acceptable because it contains a high level of acetone which is a exempt from the VOC regs.

You can still get perc in CA - CRC Lectra-Kleen is pretty much the old Brakleen. My old co-workers at the local Honda dealer switched over from MOC to Wurth's "general" cleaner and they say it works somewhat better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back