Who makes the Ryobi 4-stroke power head engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am considering adding to my handheld OPE toolset a 4-stroke power head. I already have two 2-stroke power heads (a consumer grade Poulan Pro that I got for free and a commercial grade Echo that I bought from a friend). I would like to try a 4-stroke one. The Hondas and Honda-powered Husqvarnas are too expensive for a casual purchase. So I'm looking at the Ryobi 4-stroke, but I'm curious who makes the engine.

My guess woud be the same that make the engines for Homelie as they are both TTI companies. I'd also bet it's some unknown Chinese company that does the contract manufacturing for them.

That being said, I'm on year 3 with a Troy Built 4 stroke powerhead and it's run the tiller and weed wacker fine. Still starts quite well and runs fine. I change the oil every year and so far so good.

Thanks. I figure that it's a Chinese engine, too, but some of the older ones seem to have a ton of Walbro parts on them. That doesn't necessarily mean that it's not a Chinese engine, but it surprised me nonetheless. I had to clean the clutch fly weights on my Poulan Pro, and the aluminum crankcase had something like "Fhenzuan Motor Co Ltd" molded into it, so that one was apparent.

How do you like yours? I've never used a small 4-stroke before. They understandably have an inferior power-to-weight ratio to 2-strokes, but both of my 2-strokes run fairly dirty (visible emissions, even with synthetic 50:1) and I'm interested in trying something cleaner. I also like how 4-strokes sound.

hokie,

I just threw away a four-stroke ryobi head at 2 years old. don't. do. it. it also looks to be the same found in a number of other red colored (toro?) trimmers.

can only be used upright
very stiff pull to start
doesn't want to start, despite being a four-stroke
idle hard to regulate, never stays adjusted
gets cranky once used hard
can't be stored with fuel. fuel just gets pushed out of the tank over a 4-5 day period and pools on the floor. i do not understand how
exposed timing belt
will hydrolock with oil if not stored horizontally.

save the extra $100 and buy the husq. it is honda-powered, has a feed head that actually works well, and is actually lighter than some 2-strokes.

!!!
Mike

I've got the Troy Built and I like it a lot. It's pretty easy to start, but the choke can be a bit finnicky (I think like all the new stuff it runs way too lean so you have to choke it for longer periods of time). But it usually starts on the first - 3rd pull and runs well. The thing to get used to is it doesn't rev like a 2 stroke but there is a decent amount of torque so I think it's a wash.

I've used it upside down and sideways and sometimes you'll get some smoke but it will work in all positions. I've used it heavily with the tiller attachment which is full throttle all the time and it works well. My tiller usage is for a little garden we dug as well as kicking up soil to plant new grass seed.

As a weed whacker the head is OK. I liked my old Homelite's head better as instead of the clips that the Troy Built uses, it used a regular old bolt to hold it together. But it works as designed.

For the money I can't complain - it's been a decent unit and I've had no carb issues. I use Stabil and MMO in my OPE gas and store it with some gas in the tank. Change the oil (messy job) once a season and check it every once in a while and it seems to be going good here on it's 3rd season.

To my knowledge, a big drawback with the Honda and Husqvarna units is they don't offer detatchable shafts. And I'm not sure that either are even available with a stick edger end, which is actually what I'm looking for. I can buy an Echo PAS or Stihl with attachment options, or any number of consumer-grade options (such as the Poulan Pro that I already have). Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that Husqvarna or Honda offer this.

The comments I've seen on the Ryobi and siblings echo the comments in this thread. They seem to either work fine or they're the biggest disaster in the history of OPE.

Originally Posted By: meep
save the extra $100 and buy the husq. it is honda-powered, has a feed head that actually works well, and is actually lighter than some 2-strokes.

Did you buy one? Interested in hearing how you like it if you did.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
To my knowledge, a big drawback with the Honda and Husqvarna units is they don't offer detatchable shafts. And I'm not sure that either are even available with a stick edger end, which is actually what I'm looking for. I can buy an Echo PAS or Stihl with attachment options, or any number of consumer-grade options (such as the Poulan Pro that I already have). Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that Husqvarna or Honda offer this.

The comments I've seen on the Ryobi and siblings echo the comments in this thread. They seem to either work fine or they're the biggest disaster in the history of OPE.

I have been told that... you can unclamp the shaft and swap in a split shaft for using interchangeable attachments. I have not verified this, but would be interested in looking into it for hedge trimmer, etc.. If I'd been smarter, I would have kept the ryobi long enough to try a shaft swap...
frown.gif

I'd bet that a shop that services these things could tell you...

I have a Ryobi/MTD 4 stroke trimmer (along with a vacuum attachment),have had it for 4 years now.No problems at all.Replaced plug once.Starts 2nd or 3rd pull.

I should also have said up front that the Ryobi has the sectioned shaft, where one can attach an edger, blower, trimmer, etc. I like the idea of using one power head with multiple tools; leverage the cost of one engine rather than essentially buying multiple engines to run the same types of tools.

On the other hand, Home Depot sells an Echo 2-stroke edger for 150 bucks. Aside from buying another engine, that looks like the smart choice, because the Ryobi power head alone (with no attachments) is also $150. This is the lower grade Echo, though. I've found that the lower grade Echos to be assembled in the PRC, while the SRM- and PAS-series Echos (also in Home Depot) are assembled in the USA. I assume this $150 edger would be one that is assembled in the PRC (likely no different from the Ryobi power head).

i think it's just hit and miss. even the reviews on the ryobi are varied. they either work great, or are hard from the beginning.

I for one love the 4-stroke. even the ryobi, when it ran, was nice. the power is there, no mixing of oils, and it would run forever on a few thimbles of fuel.

many of the heads are interchangeable among multi brands. could try the ryobi. if it acts up then replace just the head in a few years. or if you get a good one, then you're set.

Did you replace the Ryobi with the Honda-powered Husqvarna? I couldn't tell for sure from your previous post.

I like the idea of the 4-stroke engine. I like the OHC design on the Ryobi, with the rubber timing belt. That stuff is cool to me, and the timing belt doesn't scare me. Guys turn these engines into RC aircraft engines, so there seems to be some sort of user base for these things. Even if I'm simply looking for how to do repair it out of warranty for some reason, there looks to be an installed knowledge base out there on these engines.

yes--- I was one of the people that didn't have a good experience with the ryobi--- so I replaced it with the honda-fired husq.

The ryobi would have been a much better tool if the engine had been reliable for me. it was generally a nicely-built tool, decent weight, clip for a neck strap, easy-to-use attachment joint.

I just had too many problems with the engine, even just the hassle of having to drain the fuel tank after every use.

I'm glad to hear that the fit-and-finish was pretty good overall. Storing the tools horizontal doesn't bother me. In fact, I hang them vertical now, but may move to horizontal storage anyway. I had to replace the rubber fuel tank grommet on my Echo this year (though I probably should have done it years ago). When it hangs vertical, that grommet stays immersed in gasoline. The gasoline and oil mixture can't be good for that rubber; petroleum rarely is.

I'm also glad to hear that engine torque is good. I plan to use this power head with a string trimmer attachment, a stick edger attachment, and eventually also with a blower attachment. I like the idea of having one power head that can run multiple tools.

do it. if it dies, figure out if you can keep both shaft sections and move them to a 4-stroke head later. I'll bet you can.

My mind may have been made up for me. I went to Home Depot at lunch and they have no Ryobi 4-cycle heads, but have some new Cub Cadet 4-cycle heads. They're the same price ($149), but from what I've seen of the Cub Cadet engine, it's like the older Ryobi/MTD design, with pushrods and a geared camshaft (instead of the newer Ryobi OHC design). I don't care for that design as much, and the controls felt rather "cheap", as they should on such a brand. The guy said they are not selling the Ryobi anymore...replaced by the new Cubs.

I think I will instead buy an Echo PAS-225, and sell both my Poulan Pro and Echo GT-200R. I'm already very familiar with the 2-cycle Echo engines (and like them). Home Depot sells a full line of maintenance parts for them (plugs, filters, fuel tank grommets, etc). I don't see the support for those going away anytime soon, and the controls on the new Echos feel just like my old one...precise and high quality.

The only negative is that Echo's line of attachments are somewhat proprietary to the Echo shaft, meaning I'd need to buy the Echo brand attachments. It's not a big deal, though, as the prices are fairly competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back