Regular vs Calif air/fuel sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just put a California air/fuel sensor (Denso 2349071) on a 2008 Nissan Rogue which I thought was California emission compliant (that's why I ordered a CA one). However when I removed the factory one the original OEM sensor (Denso 2349073) was non-Calif. I didn't want to take the time to send the new one back and exchange it. Now I am wondering if it will make any difference; did I just set myself up for trouble during Washington state emissions inspections and engine operation? Will the CA semsor confuse the engine control module? The two look the same. Just what is the actual difference between the two (other than the CA one being more expensive)? Thanks.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
CA may have a longer warranty requirement.

That's true! Some timing belts are also CA spec and have a longer warranty than a 49 state belt.
Funny thing is two different companies interchange the two Mitsuboshi belt numbers, one uses the part number for 49 state and the other for CA and vice versa.
They are identical in fit and durability.

Originally Posted By: Trav

That's true! Some timing belts are also CA spec and have a longer warranty than a 49 state belt.
Funny thing is two different companies interchange the two Mitsuboshi belt numbers, one uses the part number for 49 state and the other for CA and vice versa.

California has a timing belt warranty requirement?

Originally Posted By: Bobo23
I just put a California air/fuel sensor (Denso 2349071) on a 2008 Nissan Rogue which I thought was California emission compliant (that's why I ordered a CA one). However when I removed the factory one the original OEM sensor (Denso 2349073) was non-Calif. I didn't want to take the time to send the new one back and exchange it. Now I am wondering if it will make any difference; did I just set myself up for trouble during Washington state emissions inspections and engine operation? Will the CA semsor confuse the engine control module? The two look the same. Just what is the actual difference between the two (other than the CA one being more expensive)? Thanks.

I know that some engines have a different ECM calibration for CA emissions due to the stricter emission standards. For instance, you'll see some new car ads saying in small print, fewer HP for a given engine in CA due to the PZEV requirement. So, it is quite possible that the O2 sensor is for a different ECM tune. Actual differences in operation is anyone's guess; I would advise exchanging it for the correct sensor.

Maybe in the aftermarket, but not on factory replacement parts. Everything is 12mo/12k miles warranty unless otherwise noted. Even our replacement catalytic converters are 12/12 per Ford and Mazda.

Thanks everyone for the input. I just installed it yesterday in my wife's car and due to a freak coincidence she has a nail in a tire so that needs fixing before the road; no OBDII code set just idling in the driveway. The connector alignment "ridges" were different and in my haste to get the car on the road I trimmed them to fit after checking that the blue, white and two black wires were in the same alignment. Point is I can't return it; if I have to I could buy a non-Calif one (another $90) and install it and eat the Calif one with the missing alignment ridges. BTW the dealer wanted $450 to replace it so even if I eat this one and buy the "correct part" I still save $$ over the dealer. I find most jobs go faster the second time I do them (ha-ha). I wonder if the CA sensor will work fine with a non-CA ECM but a non-CA sensor will not work fine with a CA ECM? Is the CA sensor more sensitive or just more expensive?

I don't know what a wideband TF sensor vs narrow band means. Is that the difference in a California sensor? Will the "normal" ECM respond OK to the Calif sensor? I ordered the California sensor based on the underhood sticker that in part stated: "This vehicle conforms to US EPA regulations applicable to gasoline fueled 2008 model year new Tier2 Bin5 Light duty trucks and California regulations applicable to gasoline fueled 2008 model year New Lev2-Lev light duty trucks." So let this be a warning to others also. From outward appearance the only difference that is obvious is the alignment "ridges" on the electrical plug are different. Here in Washington state I understand that all cars sold new here must meet the Calif standards but I don't recall if that was true in 2008.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: Trav

California has a timing belt warranty requirement?

CA has, best as I can understand it, a "you shouldn't have to open your engine for XXX,XXX miles" requirement.

This brought us long life spark plugs. If you read a mid 90's car's owners manual, they require normal/copper spark plugs to be changed at 30k everywhere else, but only suggest it in California. (Presumably, a dealer will change spark plugs for free under warranty if and only if needed to pass smog in california.)

I know that anything smog related is warranted for 8 years or 80,000 miles. I always thought this was nation wide. but I guess it could be just here in this screwy state.

Follow-up: After a drive cycle I get a green light on the OBDII reader. After researching this and close exam of the OE & new "Calif" sensor I conclude that they are one and the same sensor. The difference seems to be that the "Calif." sensor is $15 more than the other. The car came with "50 state emission compliant" on the window sticker and as said before a California compliant sticker under the hood. The difference is the electrical connector alignment lug pattern; the electrical pins & socket are the same for both Calif & non-Calif sensors just the alignment lugs are different. Which begs the question if they are the same why have two and why is the "Calif." sensor $15 more. BTW in Washington state new cars must be Calif compliant starting at the 2009 model year on.

It seems both the federal and California sensors for your car are wideband air/fuel ratio sensors, so they are interchangeable. However, there is a big difference between an air/fuel ratio sensor and an O2 sensor and they are not interchangeable.

An O2 sensor outputs a variable voltage to the ECU, while the air/fuel sensor outputs a variable current - which are two totally different things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back