Oil for 2009 Nissan Rogue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering what oil you guys think I should be using.

For the first 30,000 miles the Nissan dealer did all the oil changes every 3,750 miles using whatever dino oil they use.
Then I changed to Mobil 1 with Mobil 1 oil filter. Last oil change switched to PU (couple weeks ago) with Mobil 1 oil filter; got it from Walmart for $25 - $10 rebate online. Plan on using Wix filters from now on unless you think otherwise.
One thing I noticed is the oil filter for this engine is very small compared to others I've seen. Filter

Sticky answers

1. What kind of vehicle you have - 2009 Nissan Rogue AWD 38,750
Engine - QR25DE

2. What your owner's manual says -- Engine oil with API Certification Mark
Viscosity SAE 5W-30. Change every 3,750 miles

3. Where you live - Chicago

4. How you drive - Hard/Fast

5. What your daily drive is like - lot of short city trips. Also random 3X/week 30 mile highway trips.

6. Whether your car has any known problems - None

Thanks

My wife has a 2011 Nissan rouge that we brought used with 33k on the clock. After a run on on the Dino oil from the dealer, I changed over to amsoil 0w30 signature series. We have put 7k on this oil and it hasn't used any oil. It is right below the full line. I plan on running it 12-15k miles. I will do a UOA at that time

The 3,750 mile change is the severe change interval. 7,500 mile change is the normal change interval for the rogue.

You have already picked some great oils to use. Your driving is on the severe side a tad bit with all of the short trips but not extreme. Try a 5k interval with a UOA.

Heres a link to another members UOA rogue. Check it out
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1431827

I would use any name brand Dino and do the manufacturer change interval. Just make sure you put a 5w-30 in it. If it still is under warranty make sure you do what the manufacturer says and if you have third party warranty keep them happy too. For your info my Nissan gets the same driving style and short trips but I use quality syns that I get on sale. I have tried many different brands and they all have been overkill in terms of protection. I have a Couple uoa's to prove it too.

Originally Posted By: KJack
My wife has a 2011 Nissan rouge that we brought used with 33k on the clock. After a run on on the Dino oil from the dealer, I changed over to amsoil 0w30 signature series. We have put 7k on this oil and it hasn't used any oil. It is right below the full line. I plan on running it 12-15k miles. I will do a UOA at that time

The 3,750 mile change is the severe change interval. 7,500 mile change is the normal change interval for the rogue.

You have already picked some great oils to use. Your driving is on the severe side a tad bit with all of the short trips but not extreme. Try a 5k interval with a UOA.

Heres a link to another members UOA rogue. Check it out
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1431827

Thanks. Yeah I plan on doing a UOA after 5k on this fill. and thanks for the link

Have had outstanding results with Amsoil's 0W-30 synthetic in all my vehicles for the past 15+ years.

Originally Posted By: abycat
I use quality syns that I get on sale. I have tried many different brands and they all have been overkill in terms of protection. I have a Couple uoa's to prove it too.

Those statements sound in line with my Altima Coupe's QR25DE and what I feed it. I've used Valvoline SynPower, Castrol EDGE (Gold Bottle), Pennzoil Ultra, G-OIL, and (currently) Royal Purple. They all run about the same and my UOAs (click here ) show low wear.

As far as filters are concerned, I generally use the slightly longer PureONE PL14610, Mobil 1 M1-110, K&N HP-1010, Fram XG7317 size. During my previous OCI I used the spec "shorty" because I knew I was going to have the car in to the dealer for some pre-expiration powertrain warranty concerns. At the end of that OCI, I cut open the filter and found that they can't fit much media is them. (See here.) While a quality filter in the spec size will do just fine, I (like many others) prefer the longer one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back