Which threadlocker for driveshaft bolts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was about to bolt my rear driveshaft back in but forgot about threadlocker. I only have blue "medium strength" stuff here. Should I hold off until I buy some red stuff tomorrow?

Properly torquing the bolt to spec is all the threadlocker that's really needed. Threadlocker is really just a back up in case the bolt is not torqued properly for some reason so it won't back all the way out.

It doesn't have a u-bolt type yoke. There are flat flanges on the transfer case and rear axle, and flat flange ends on both ends of the driveshaft. There are four pretty good size bolts that hold them together.

For some reason Ford was using red OEM on the driveshafts and half shafts some years ago like the late 90's early 2000's.
These used the 12mm head 12 point bolts. I asked the driveshaft service that did the balancing and they said yep just a drop of red, don't cover the whole bolt threads with it.

I don't know the reason, may be they work loose who knows. I never used it before on these kinds of bolts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back