AutoRx and a Microwave

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of days ago I changed the oil in my old 86 Toy and began its first AutoRx phase. It has been very cold here in CO and the Rx was in the garage. Tried to pour it in and we are talking "solid". I'm thinking, what am I supposed to do? I put it in the microwave for 15 secs at a time. Took about 45 seconds but it thawed with no ill effects I can see.

And oh yes, my microwave runs smoother and has more power ...

JKH

I have always just put the bottle in an ice cream bucket full of hot tap water. I doubt the effects of microwaves have been lab tested on it...

Best just to use the hot water approach mentioned above. Fifte4n minutes in 110 F. water should make it very pourable. Have engine oil warmed as well and add while both are warm. Run the motor for 10 to 15 minutes for optimal dispersion into the host motor oil. Your good to go.

I don't really have much to back this up, but I personally wouldn't use a microwave to heat it up. Maybe it would be perfectly fine, but who knows. I understand the physics of how a microwave works, and current scientific data would say that it wouldn't be a problem, but there are also things that we don't understand about microwaves and their affect on certain things. The nutritional content of food is affected, for example, when heated with a microwave. I know some will say this is untrue, and that it should be perfectly safe, but there is data pointing to the contrary. I plan on getting rid of my microwave, FWIW.

But to end all of this, there were probably no ill affects on the Auto-RX.

I too don't recommend putting the Rx in the microwave, just that with it being 25 degrees and me freezing my you know what off it seemed like the thing to do.

As long as the foil seal is not exposed and covered under the cap, it wouldn't hurt. As for the microwave itself, all it does is heat up the water/fluids. How would it be any different from the heat of a car's engine? I mean, I wouldn't put it in for 5 minutes or anything....

Frank - I'm still chuckling over the description used in a recent post to describe cold temp Auto Rx: "...looks like a prune juice slurpee".
smile.gif
smile.gif

youngbuck said:
I don't really have much to back this up, but I personally wouldn't use a microwave to heat it up. Maybe it would be perfectly fine, but who knows. I understand the physics of how a microwave works, and current scientific data would say that it wouldn't be a problem, but there are also things that we don't understand about microwaves and their affect on certain things. The nutritional content of food is affected, for example, when heated with a microwave. I know some will say this is untrue, and that it should be perfectly safe, but there is data pointing to the contrary. I plan on getting rid of my microwave, FWIW.
-----------------------------------------------
I've never heard of this. Could you point me to some data on this? I'd like to find out more.

I use my Microwave daly. When I did thanksgiving dinner, I used the micro, the stove, the wall oven, and a counter top roaster.
Maybe all that microwave cooking is why I'm all crippled up with steel things in my neck, lower back and left ankle.
OTOH maybe it's just because I'm 68 years old, 70Lb. overweight, clumsy and fall down a lot.
gr_eek2.gif

Wayne in Clt.

Thanks bkrell.

I saw nothing in those articles that indicate that microwaves persay damage food. I wouldn't be without my micro. I have the Tim Taylor model. 1300 watts. I can boil a cup of water in 75 seconds.
biggthumbcoffe.gif

My concern about microvaving would be that you can easily get hot spots where the temps could spike very high. I dont know if they would be higher than the operating temps inside your engine, but if they get too high it could have some adverse effects on the chemistry. This could also explain any adverse effects on food. If you heat slowly and evenly, it shouldnt be a problem.

But, since this stuff isnt cheap, I would just use hot water to be safe.

BTW, I'm lauging at
quote:

And oh yes, my microwave runs smoother and has more power ...

No offense but Mercola is a natural health site and would appear to be against microwaving for obvious reasons. The research he references is old and has been debunked or judged not pertinant to consumer microwave use. Of course, the FDA and congress could be being paid off by the "Big Microwave" lobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back