Cleaning outside of engine with covers off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, I've been searching and reading about all different types of solvents and degreasers but can't quite figure out the best solution to my problem here:

I started tearing apart my '97 VW Jetta w/200k miles and a 2.0L engine in order to do a myriad of engine work and cleaning, including timing belt, all shaft seals (crank, cam, intermediate), valve cover, oil pan gasket, and spark plugs. My trouble is that so much of the engine is covered in grease and dirt from gaskets and seals leaking that now I'd like to clean it all off before I re-assemble everything. Except I can't use soap & water as I'd fear it getting on the camshaft, or in the pistons from the spark plug holes, intake manifold, etc. So I'm thinking some kind of Solvent. Currently I've used Non-Chlorinated Brake Clean & Carb Cleaner in some areas but what I'd like to do it brush down the whole engine. Obviously with a filter mask to avoid fumes.

So what's a good cleaner for an exposed engine? Low Odor Mineral Spirits, or Naphtha?

I know, stupid mistake. Didn't realize it was leaking that bad until part way through. Still not sure where the leak is coming from. Was also thinking Kero or Diesel as well. The other key is to not damage any plastic or electrical components that it might splash on, so that's why I ruled out anything like Acetone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back