2012 FORD FUSION HYBRID 12V BATTERY PROBLEMS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have 34 of these cars here at work in our fleet and we have had 12v battery problems since the get go. Basically after 4-5 days of no/little use the battery voltage drops below 12.1v for an unknown reason. Then the anti theft system goes haywire and the car will not start. The only solution I have found is to remove the neg. battery terminal and replace it to reset the system and then all is well...until the next time. Anyone else with this car having 12v/PATs issues. I have found a bunch on the internet, I wanted to see if anyone here had any insight.

My 12 Fusion, not a hybrid,but the charging system and the battery are marginal at best. I finally started putting it on the smart charger when in the garage. The elec power steering doesn't help either. When I first got the car I drove it 125 mi from the dealer and it still took 36 hrs to bring the battery to a float condition. On a recent 250 mi trip it still took 3hrs to get up to "float"
PS: Ford says "normal"
Smoky

Holly Smokes. I just had a thread on my zx2 going into float after 3 seconds.. I thought it had issues.. I guess my car is ok if 3hrs is "normal"

Our Prius had the same issue with an Optima installed. Turned out to be battery corrosion. I cleaned up the terminals until they were shiny and greased them. The 12V "boot" battery is charged off a 12V feed from the inverter's DC-DC converter.

Supposedly Ford is using a "smart" charging system too.

The 12V batteries are very small in hybrids (to conserve weight). Unfortunately, there are large parasitic currents with the smart keys and evap systems doing checks after shutdowns, just like in regular cars with much bigger batteries. The net effect is flat battery in a week or two. Hybrid cars are engineered for driving, not sitting.

What did they have to say?

Mine went flat twice in the last week, but they say the battery is "OK" and won't replace it. Yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back