Just switched to Total Quartz 9000 Future 0W20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
I just signed up for Bob is the Oil Guy due to the positive reputation on many other forums.

I just went to my regular independent mechanic and he recommended Total Quartz 9000 Future 0W20. So, I switched to it. He recommended as he said it's much better than the Toyota oil used by the dealer for cold starts and engine longevity. Anybody have any more details on what kind of benefits it confers? Btw, I live in Toronto Canada, so half the year it can be below freezing. The engine is the 2GR-FE on a 2013 Toyota Camry. Based on what I've read it looks like it's a class III motor oil, not a class IV. Is that true?

This is the one he used: http://www.total-lubricants.ca/Pages/content/NT0000F136.pdf

Thanks.

Last edited:
Never heard of it. What I have heard however, from tons of our members, is TGMO, or Toyota 0W-20, is probably one of the best, and cheapest, oils you can find in its class. Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy 0W-20 is even better, based on raw cold-cranking viscosity.

I think the oil you've shown is unlikely to be inferior, but any better? Probably not worth a cost jump. If it costs more I can tell you why the mechanics recommending it.

What I can say, at least, is the viscosity index of the oil you've shown here is a rather boring 150. TGMO 0W-20 is over 200 which is usually an indication of a much more robust base oil selection of the blended oil.

Last edited:
Welcome! There are a couple of grammer errors and unusual wording in the pdf - leading me to believe it was not authored by a native. I'd agree that it's likely a Group III lube and likely average at best.

Ah okay. Yah, I thought I'd give it a try for at least an interval before I made my mind up over the long term. What piqued my interest is that this mechanic has a lot of experience with Toyotas and he said he's seen many instances where the engine consumes ~1L of oil after 50k km and Toyota says that it's normal.

As in regards to the pdf I posted above it's written by a French Canadian since Total's centre in Canada is Quebec. Probably because they're a French company.

I see nothing wrong with Total oil, and from what I understand, they're trying to increase their presence in North America. I certainly wouldn't object to that. However, I would hate to see what that stuff costs, particularly up here.

With respect to it being better for cold starts, I call shenanigans. Ask CATERHAM (another Canadian member with vast knowledge of various 0w-20 statistics) whether the Total is actually a better cold weather oil than the Toyota stuff. Total is beaten on cold cranking by both Amsoil and Petro-Canada Supreme Synthetic 0w-20, and Petro-Canada's viscosity index is higher, as is the Toyota stuff. Total also conveniently ignores borderline pumping values. Having stickers on Formula 1 cars doesn't nullify the actual numbers.

As for engine longevity increases, I highly doubt it. If one oil meets the required specifications for an engine, it's extremely doubtful that another oil that also meets the same specifications will have any statistically significant effect on longevity over prescribed oil change intervals.

M1 won't make your engine last longer than Pennzoil Platinum and Quaker State won't make it last longer than SuperTech, or vice versa. I would have no hesitation with using the Total from a "doing the job" perspective. But, I don't see it doing the job better than any other appropriate 0w-20, and, like I said, I'm afraid to hear the price.

I am a french man (leaving in Sweden) and Total is french, so I know in France, Total oils for personnal cars are quite the most expensive on the market, but HDEO with professional discount are the cheapest...

I used HDEO Rubia with no problem in the past, and a friend of mine use them by tons on a fleet of fishing boats monitored with UOA, with no problem too.

If your getting the oil change done for around 1/3 less then the dealer charges okay if not stick with the the dealer. At least if the dealer is doing the changes and a issue arise's there will be less hassle. Is the dealer oil better then the total quartz ??? pdf shows nothing special. What filter is he using for you?? you may want to stick with the toyota filter.

Last edited:
Yah, I had my doubts about the oil but I thought I'd give it a try. Price is an issue as it cost >50% than the Toyota genuine synthetic 0w20 from the dealer, so I'm not really interested in paying more for the same. I'm not sure about the engine filter, I'll have to check which brand they used.

Thanks for your advice.

Last edited:
I like to try new oils just for fun. It is like chips, they all taste good but nice to change it up a bit.

I love Total packaging really cool. People just enjoy the feeling of spending money on oil and the car they love.

Oil is a hobby for a lot of drivers.

I always look around and enjoy seeing cool oils. Like if I spot Amsoil 0W20 SSO on a shelf, I have to pick it up and look at it, and I already know what it is.

It makes me feel like a kid.

Emperors6, welcome to BITOG. We need all the Canadians we can get!

As has been pointed out, Total's 150 VI is pathetic for a synthetic 20wt oil let alone a 0W-20; the lowest of any 0W-20 on the market.
What that means is that it will be as heavy as a 5W-20 dino on start-up at non extreme typical start-up temp's.

The Mobil made TGMO 0W-20 (VI 216) is a top notch highly engineered product. At $5.65/L it is clearly the best 20wt oil value in Canada.
For your next oil change switch back to TGMO.

Thanks for the advice CATERHAM. I'll definitely do that. I did this last oil change at 8k km at my regular non-dealer mechanic. This is my second oil change (I had my first at 3k km). For the first oil change I went to a dealer (DVN Toyota) and they charged $26 for the Toyota synthetic 0w20 oil, the rest was for the oil filter and the labour so it was much cheaper. I think I'll go that route. I don't mind paying more if I'm getting more value, but in this case ironically the dealer seems to be better.

Originally Posted By: Falken
I always look around and enjoy seeing cool oils.

I can't argue with that. Total is a good name and has nice packaging. They need to reduce their prices, that's all. On the other hand, I've seen some nice packaging on some dicey oils, even though their prices were good, too. I like the Spectrol bottles for instance (and the price isn't half bad), but their compliance has been iffy.
wink.gif

If Total does start selling much more in North America, they would hopefully price things a little better. Competition is a good thing, after all.

I have made pathetic VIs a personal cause; somebody has to love them and there is certainly no compassion expressed in this thread.

I love pathetic VIs
'Cause they are people too
So send me all your rejects
And I will make them feel accepted

Yes I know it doesn't rhyme; pathetic poetry is my other "cause."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back