Oil drain plug gasket material question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last timeI changed the oil in my Dakota I installed a new magnetic drain plug. Just a drain plug I purchased from advance auto parts. It came with a new blue plastic gasket and I intalled it without issue. Last week I was reading on this forum that the plastic drain plug gaskets tend to loosen up overtime. So yesterday I climb under the truck and sure enough the plug is very loose, not leaking, but loose. I tightened it back up but my question is what should I do next time I Change the oil? Can I use a copper or metal gasket with the drainplug? I saved the factory plug with the built in rubber o ring. Should I ditch the magnetic plug and replace it with the factory one? Thanks in advance for any help.

I'd go with rubber, like the OEM. If you picked up the right magnetic drain plug, it should have the same type of recess as the original plug into which a rubber gasket should fit perfectly.

The magnetic plug is the correct plug listed for the dakota but there is no recess for the o ring. It is a different overall design from the factory plug.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Every vehicle I've had has used aluminum. Is copper a better choice?

Interesting question and one that is debated often.
I don't believe one is inherently "better" than the other just one may be better for a certain type of pan material and bolt flange size.

Most Euro cars use copper while most Japanese used aluminum. The reasons given by the Euro makers is while both are very malleable the copper distorts less and is easier to remove after being crushed.
The Japanese feel that the very soft aluminum seals better with less torque.

Over the years i have noticed that many aluminum pans with large flanges and large diameter drain bolts use aluminum washers while steel pans with smaller diameter bolts use copper.
The other thing i noticed that some of the large aluminum washers deform so badly that they need to be cut off.
Thats pretty much both sides of the argument that i have read over the years.

I draw my own conclusion that copper is possibly more serviceable due to the kind of sealing washer used for brake system banjo bolts, which are almost always copper.
The other thing is price. While only a penny or two difference in aluminum and copper times that by millions of cars sold worldwide every year.and it comes up to a good chunk of money.

You should be fine using some sort of metal washer.

I always thought the copper ones were softer than aluminum. I usually see aluminum washers used on steel oil pans. The BMW's I've had with aluminum pans used copper washers. It makes sense that you want the washer to be made from a softer material than the pan.

And to muddy the water further...

I've seen both types of washers used on aluminum transmissions.

I've also used nylon washers on a beat up aluminum pan with reasonable success.

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
You should be fine using some sort of metal washer.

I always thought the copper ones were softer than aluminum. I usually see aluminum washers used on steel oil pans. The BMW's I've had with aluminum pans used copper washers. It makes sense that you want the washer to be made from a softer material than the pan.

And to muddy the water further...

I've seen both types of washers used on aluminum transmissions.

I've also used nylon washers on a beat up aluminum pan with reasonable success.

Your right pure copper is softer than aluminum, 40-50 brinell and aluminum 70. Lead in comparison is 30.
If you notice though it seems the copper is not pure and probably an alloy (still soft but not easily bent by hand) or it may spread too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back