oil leak and CD-2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I am using mobil one 5-30 and I have a lttle seal leak. I have added cd-2 stop leak. Is this a good product? It has friction modifiers, detergents, and antiwaer agents with the seal expanders. I thought it must be good if they added the extras. However, the oil is clear. Does anyone know why it does not have any color? It is also supposed to resist oil thinning, but it is not thick.Is the oil in the stuff any good? I have have used Bardahl stop leak in the past. I called the bardahl company and they said it was 10 weight hydrocracked oil. Anyone have and idea what oil is in the cd-2 or if the bardahl is better? At least I know what is in bardahl.

from what i have read on here i dont think it works to well...someone surely will be able to tell you for sure.

I would either use a cleaning agent like Auto-RX to clear impurities (ie., sludge) from the engine than run convetional per their instructions to recondition the seal or simply switch to a high mileage oil if the leak is not that bad.

Either way, once the leak is sealed you can switch back to synthetic and hope that it holds. This is supposedly very doable with the Auto-RX product.

Your ruining the seal material how did you come to the conclusion all these solvent based products and additive packages would help your problem ? Your leak will become soon a major seal leak.

what is in high mileage oil that is better for the seals or is different that what is in the stop leak? I only used half the bottle.

Babydoggy,

Go to the Auto-Rx web site there is a seal leak information link it will inform you how the Auto-Rx works and if you don't have any broken seals it will stop the leak and also will remove any sludge that you have in you the engine good luck.

The leak has gone from 3 inches overnight to 1 inch overnght. It may fix it. I still would like to know why the oil has no color. Does anyone know why some oils have no color?

Color is irrelevant. Don't worry about it.

babydoggy,
What type of leak is it(VC gasket,front,rear, or cam)?
Did you try high mileage or thicker oils?
What year/make/model/engine/OCI history?

I've had luck with various OTC products to stop/slow seal leaks.
Sorry Frank,I've never destroyed a seal using them. And, dbdeland, if a seal is broken, the only option is replacement.

Front. It had 10-30 mobil high endurance with a couple of cups of Lucas synthetic all summer and it did not leak. I changed to regular mobil synthetic 5-30 for the winter and also because it is energy conserving and it started leaking. Maybe the high endurance has more additives for the seals or it was thicker, especially with the Lucas.

unDummy,

If you check my post#62 it remarks if seals are not broken Auto-Rx will seal the leak my leaks did not stop until the last rinse cycle was completed that was over 1 year ago.

Seal swelling is caused by damageing the seal material. Seals should not expand or contract much in order to make a seal expand you have to use harsh chemicals to get it to expand. If the seal is already damaged like a tear or worn the swelling will accelerate the seals break down. If it toach's a rotateing part like a main seal against a crank then the swelling will increase the lib load on the seal and accelerate the rate of wear. The swollen material is not as dense and will wear away much faster.

Auto-Rx fix's seal leaks caused by hardening of the seal or casued by dirt and debris especialy if it is embeded in the seal orbetween the seal and the parts! Auto-Rx will not casue seal swelling or bleaching.

quote:

Your ruining the seal material how did you come to the conclusion all these solvent based products and additive packages would help your problem ? Your leak will become soon a major seal leak.

My how I love Frank's poorly written epitaphs to your engine. It seems it doesn't matter that from agriculture to engine oil additives, some people think they know it all. Oh wait, since personal product promotion is involved here, that's okay. I realize that Frank can say whatever biased claim, rude comment, etc with no repercussions. Any other poster has very little latitude.

I have used Auto RX now in several vehicles and tractors, with remarkably little success in any of the areas that Auto RX bases its claims on. It may have a lot of hype here on the site and there is no shortage of yahoos saying Auto Rx did everything for them including solving erectile dysfunction but guess what folks, it's just the same old snake oil. Analyze it all you want with pseudo scientific discussions on its supposed efficacy, it's crap in a bottle like MMO, etc. The best part of this site is how the "smart" people like Terry and Molakule have been brainwashed just like any other "stupid" consumer that, like me, makes up 99% of BITOG. Wake up people and think for yourselves. Just because a couple of guys on the internet, who you have never met and may well be two teenage geeks with a strange obsession with motor oil, doesn't mean that's what ought to influence your lubrication life. Do some research yourself and don't rely on what a couple of random people have to say.

Strjock81:

I admire your skepticism. We need more of it, and not just when it comes to oil!

There is a way to determine whether a claim is valid or not. Systematically gathering data and analysing it should be sufficient when it comes to simple things, such as whether A-RX does what it says it does, and that approach is a much better way to evaluate a claim than the writing ability of the claimant, other unrelated claims made by the claimant, etc. Fortunately there have been many posts here where people have done just that with regard to A-RX, and in many cases they have carefully documented results that seem quite impressive. That and a good bit of curiosity is what motivated me to do my own little bit of systematic A-RX evaluation, which you can see right now elsewhere in this section. I still don't know how it'll turn out, but it is certainly at least possible that A-RX is what it is claimed to be: not a miracle product but an effective method of making/keeping an engine internally clean.

I'd extend that thinking to MMO and other additives, as well. I'm convinced a group of people like BITOG is a good way to concentrate a large number of observations in one place and, if you have a good working **-meter, reach good valid conclusions. This is actually a pretty good group of real, living people, and pretty light on the teenage geeks as far as I can tell.

- Glenn

Auto-Rx was granted an application patent. I am very proud of that as you have to prove your claims in "real" time applications submitted. My personal observations is every time i read a diatribe about "Auto-Rx did not work for me" etc,etc 99% are because the user made up there own application format.Auto-Rx is real chemistry, it is not a solvent or oil based formulation. As chemistry it has reasonable instructions and ratio's on how to use it for most applications.We invented this chemistry to reduce emissions from a converters we achieve this by reducing the load on the engine(by cleaning the oil lubricated parts)The states emission test results are on the web site fo all to read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back