Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 vs Valvoline 4T Stroke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just asking the oil gurus how you feel about the additive package/quality between the two.

Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50
VS
Valvoline 4T Stroke Full Synthetic Motorcycle Oil

Thanks for tour feedback.

I think you'll find the Valvoline rated Jaso M2 which is better than M1 rated at plain Jaso M. I'm not 100% sure of this, but I know the Mobil 10-40 is only M, whereas the Valvoline 10-40 and 20-50 is M2 rated. Depends too, on what machine you're gonna run it in so it might not make a difference. I'm talking Synthetic here, not dino.

BTW, today I was in a Walmart looking at the clearance oils and there were 3 qts of the Val 20-50 Synthetic Motorcycle for $5 ea. I bought them. Might chek ur local Walmart.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tc1446
I think you'll find the Valvoline rated Jaso M2 which is better than M1 rated at plain Jaso M. I'm not 100% sure of this, but I know the Mobil 10-40 is only M, whereas the Valvoline 10-40 and 20-50 is M2 rated. Depends too, on what machine you're gonna run it in so it might not make a difference. I'm talking Synthetic here, not dino.

BTW, today I was in a Walmart looking at the clearance oils and there were 3 qts of the Val 20-50 Synthetic Motorcycle for $5 ea. I bought them. Might chek ur local Walmart.

Pardon my ignorance...what is "Jaso M"???

Actually the reason I asked about the two > Mobil-1 V-Twin Synthetic 20/50 is used a LOT in highly-stressed performance boating and VERY highly respected because of it's stout additive package. So, when I saw the Valvoline motorcycle 20/50 synthetic it had me coming here for comparison and answers.

Mobil 1 v twin is not longer JASO MA rated at all...they say they still are good for wet clutch performance, but the rating for it is now gone off the bottle.

I have used the Valvoline 4t Synthetic in my Triumph and it has held up well, better than the Castrol RS 10w50 and 20w50.

Originally Posted By: HammerDown

It's actually JASO MA/MA2.

These are motorcycle specs that ensure that the oil is not overloaded with friction modifiers so that it can allow for wet clutch to operate properly without slipping. You haven't told us what bike you have, but if your bike has a shared wet clutch sump, then these specs are something you may want to pay attention to.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

These are motorcycle specs that ensure that the oil is not overloaded with friction modifiers so that it can allow for wet clutch to operate properly without slipping. You haven't told us what bike you have, but if your bike has a shared wet clutch sump, then these specs are something you may want to pay attention to.

Thank you for the clarification.
I have a older Harley Shovel Head...pumped-up and beefed-up of course. My clutch is isolated from engine oil. That engine only sees straight 40wt Valvoline VR1 Racing 'dino' or, Brad Penn 40wt Racing dino.

I must confess though (and as it's on sale) I'm considering this Valvoline 4T oil for my Big Block Chevy Jet boat.
If it's anything like Mobil-1 v-Twin 20/50 synthetic with it's upper level of anti-wear additives etc it will hold up excellently in in a high-load, sustained rpm V8 Jet Boat.
^I usually use Valvoline VR1 Racing full-synthetic 20/50

I have a older Harley Shovel Head...pumped-up and beefed-up of course. My clutch is isolated from engine oil. That engine only sees straight 40wt Valvoline VR1 Racing 'dino' or, Brad Penn 40wt Racing dino.

I must confess though (and as it's on sale) I'm considering this Valvoline 4T oil for my Big Block Chevy Jet boat.
If it's anything like Mobil-1 v-Twin 20/50 synthetic with it's upper level of anti-wear additives etc it will hold up excellently in in a high-load, sustained rpm V8 Jet Boat.

For your boat engine run any 20w50. I always liked Quicksilver 25w40. It is a very shear stable dino oil that ran in my 7.4L Gm 385hp boat engines. You can get it at some Walmarts for $5/qt.

Just run the Valvoline VR1 syntetic instead of the 4T for the drag boat. It has more anti wear additives.

Another good one for the drag boat is Kendall GT1 20w50. It has the boosted zinc also, and has turned in very good used oil analysis wear numbers. Runs about 3.50 a quart here.

I use rotella t conventional 15w-40 in the primary of my Harley. 106hp/115tq,100tq at 2000rpm still on the stock clutch and no slip whatsoever.
As far as the boat goes I'd look for something loaded with moly,so the opposite of what's posted here.

Originally Posted By: Doog

For your boat engine run any 20w50. I always liked Quicksilver 25w40. It is a very shear stable dino oil that ran in my 7.4L Gm 385hp boat engines. You can get it at some Walmarts for $5/qt.

"any 20/50...no way! long time ago I tried Castrol 20/50...that oil broke-down and turned into water in short time!
crazy.gif

Lesson learned!

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Just run the Valvoline VR1 syntetic instead of the 4T for the drag boat. It has more anti wear additives.

Another good one for the drag boat is Kendall GT1 20w50. It has the boosted zinc also, and has turned in very good used oil analysis wear numbers. Runs about 3.50 a quart here.

Thanks for the info...if the VR1 Racing 20/50 full synthetic goes on 1/2 price sale again that's what I'll get.

Funny you mention the "Kendall GT1"
Back when it was GREEN I was very loyal to Kendall, always used in my race cars, boats and Harleys. Then it went 'gold' new owners, and I 'read' it wasn't the same respected "Kendall of old"
However, my Auto Zone is selling (on clearance) the 50/wt Kendall GT1 Performance > Liquid Titanium"(fancy play on words) for $3.00 a qt so, I may give that a try to see how well it holds-up to a big block Jet Boat beating the poo out of it.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Last edited:

Thanks for the info...if the VR1 Racing 20/50 full synthetic goes on 1/2 price sale again that's what I'll get.

Back when it was GREEN I was very loyal to Kendall, always used in my race cars, boats and Harleys. Then it went 'gold' new owners, and I 'read' it wasn't the same respected "Kendall of old"
However, my Auto Zone is selling (on clearance) the 50/wt Kendall GT1 Performance > Liquid Titanium"(fancy play on words) for $3.00 a qt so, I may give that a try to see how well it holds-up to a big block Jet Boat beating the poo out of it.

If I recall the SAE50 weight does not have the boosted zinc of the 20w50. Id check the Kendall website, but I am sure that the straight weights are not as loaded. The 20w50 is pretty close to VR1 plus the liquid titanium.

If I recall the SAE50 weight does not have the boosted zinc of the 20w50
. Id check the Kendall website, but I am sure that the straight weights are not as loaded. The 20w50 is pretty close to VR1 plus the liquid titanium.

Darn, it's always something.
Unless it's full synthetic 20/50 it just doesn't hold up > years back I tried Valvoline VR1 Racing 'dino' 20/50 and after some extended RPM runs it fell on it's face(no oil cooler) that's why I switched to their VR1 Racing 20/50 synthetic > it's holds-up when oil temps climb.

We used the Pennzoil GT racing oil 25w50 in our big block chevy methanol injected altered and it held up very well. Not blown but its a 14:1 motor built to the hilt. Might be a good one to look at as well.

We used the Pennzoil GT racing oil 25w50 in our big block chevy methanol injected altered and it held up very well. Not blown but its a 14:1 motor built to the hilt. Might be a good one to look at as well.

That is some very good oil with a stout ZDDP package...my local Speed Shop doesn't carry it any more.

I called Kendall and you are correct...
GT1 20/50 = 1200 ppm/Zinc
GT1 50w = 890/ppm/zinc

Even though the BBC-Jet Boat is a 'full roller-cam' I still think of push-rod tips and wrist pins needing the extra protection too!

At $3.00 a qt I may still purchase the Kendall 50/wt for my Shovel-Head, as spring pressures aren't that high.
But, Kendall's marketing term > "Liquid Titanium" kind of funny.

Last edited:
We get our Pennzoil from our local shell distributor. Might try to see if one in your area carries it if you like it so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back