YouTube Downloader?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just went to update YouTube Downloader and it looks like they insist on loading a bunch of stuff you don't want to get the downloader. Anybody have any alternatives they like?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bryankkkk
dont need to install any junk

Well, you do need to install Java which some consider to be junk.
smile.gif

Never noticed it needed java lol

When I try to use it, I get a big fat warning saying:

Quote:
Risk: This application will run with unrestricted access to your personal files and other facilities (webcam, microphone) on your computer.

The publisher name is unverified and therefore listed as UNKNOWN. Run this application only if you trust the source (web site) the application is from.

Maybe it's harmless, but it sounds a bit scary.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
I just went to update YouTube Downloader and it looks like they insist on loading a bunch of stuff you don't want to get the downloader.

You can just press the "Decline" button to skip the junk stuff during installation.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Never noticed it needed java lol

When I try to use it, I get a big fat warning saying:

Quote:
Risk: This application will run with unrestricted access to your personal files and other facilities (webcam, microphone) on your computer.

The publisher name is unverified and therefore listed as UNKNOWN. Run this application only if you trust the source (web site) the application is from.

Maybe it's harmless, but it sounds a bit scary.
smile.gif

What browser?

i still tend to do it the old-school way.... open up the temporary internet files folder, find the FLV of the video i want, copy/paste to some other location....

always works and with my [censored] connection, i don't have to download something twice.

I use FireFox download helper extension (not add-on) version 4.9.14. My FF version is 19.0.2 Download helper has three small colored balls on the toolbar that rotate when a video/pic or other content is eligible to be downloaded. Just click the arrow by it and screen comes up for download. Has worked fantastic for me downloading numerous music videos, movie clips, etc off of mostly youtube, but also works on other sites.

I just went to update YouTube Downloader and it looks like they insist on loading a bunch of stuff you don't want to get the downloader.

You can just press the "Decline" button to skip the junk stuff during installation.

Thanks for all the replies.
I didn't realize it would still install even if you hit "decline", so I bailed before hitting "decline".
Now I understand.

Thanks for all the replies.
I didn't realize it would still install even if you hit "decline", so I bailed before hitting "decline".
Now I understand.

This is very common (downloading stuff even if you say no). I've never had problems with "extras" being downloaded when downloading Firefox add-ons and extensions. QuickTime, Real Player, Adobe Reader (if not already installed on your PC) are pretty good also. Sometimes you may see a box to download Chrome or the Ask toolbar, but if you say no they don't get downloaded.

Here's a suggestion. Before downloading any software do an extensive Google Search on the software. Chances are if they are downloading other stuff, changing your default browser, or other hi-jinks without your knowledge, or even if you say no, there will be several hits with people complaining about this.

Another very good Firefox addon is NetVideo Hunter. It doesn't require JAVA. Works well for YouTube and many other sites, but not all.

Originally Posted By: Touring5
Another very good Firefox addon is NetVideo Hunter. It doesn't require JAVA. Works well for YouTube and many other sites, but not all.

What Firefox extension would require Java?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back