Ping Speed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does one decrease ping time? What affect does this have on internet speed?

These are my speedtest results. I once got the ping down around 13ms but now it is almost always in the mid twenties. What causes it to fluctuate?

I have no idea what the answer to your question is.

But, I always use opportunities like this to brag that I once tested a 0ms ping.

Had a few single digit pings too.

I love FiOS.

It is primarily curiosity rather than anything else. I have not noticed any performance issues with our connection. We are a digital kind of family and I would hear about it if there was a problem. I have just always wondered about ping...

2625958475.png

Even though my ping is faster I'll bet you have better throughput. I am on basic Verizon Fios.

Ping, or latency, is time.

On the internet, you can get high bandwidth (megabytes per second) with high ping times (how many milliseconds, or thousandths of a second, it takes for information to travel between you and the server you're contacting).

So long as your ping is under about 100ms, you'll never be able to tell the difference. Some technologies have much higher latency, or ping, times. Dialup can have between 200-300ms. Satellite internet can have over 400 sometimes.

But for regular web browsing you'll never tell. Its in videogames and certain applications where getting an absolutely minimal ping is key, as the time it takes for information to get back and forth can be life or death.

Also ping depends on the servers you're contacting. Try running a speed test of an Australian server, it'll probably ping over 300ms.

Ping is how long it takes for something to get from "A" to "B". Your bandwidth is how much you can send within a time frame between "A" and "B".

Last edited:
Yep, it depends who youre connecting to, where their website is located, yours and their isp, if youre on dsl you can reduce ping by being on fast path instead
Of interleave mode

I can tell the difference between loading a website with 60ms average ping and 20ms, ping 30ms and lower is wonderful lol especially when online gaming

37ms is perfectly fine, absolutely nothing to worry about. I agree with Ricecake, anything under 100ms is fine and you are well below that.

Originally Posted By: RiceCake
So long as your ping is under about 100ms, you'll never be able to tell the difference.

cough cough cough

I see the difference 12ms makes every single business day. We have a datacenter 5 miles away and one 208 miles away. Pings to the closer datacenter average from 0.3-3ms. Pings to the farther datacenter are 12-16ms. It makes a BIG difference when you are talking about CIFS/SMB traffic! I can push 300 Mpbs+ over to the nearby datacenter. I'm lucky to get over 25Mbps to the remote datacenter.

We put in a Cisco WAAS, which helps narrow the gap, but the closer one is still a lot better.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Originally Posted By: RiceCake
So long as your ping is under about 100ms, you'll never be able to tell the difference.

cough cough cough

I see the difference 12ms makes every single business day. We have a datacenter 5 miles away and one 208 miles away. Pings to the closer datacenter average from 0.3-3ms. Pings to the farther datacenter are 12-16ms. It makes a BIG difference when you are talking about CIFS/SMB traffic! I can push 300 Mpbs+ over to the nearby datacenter. I'm lucky to get over 25Mbps to the remote datacenter.

We put in a Cisco WAAS, which helps narrow the gap, but the closer one is still a lot better.

Read the post you just made and make a correlation with regular everyday humans.

Nobody will notice between 88 and 44 ms when they're surfing BITOG and their local newspaper. I did say gamers and other specific applications though will notice ping more then others.

Quote:

I can push 300 Mpbs+ over to the nearby datacenter. I'm lucky to get over 25Mbps to the remote datacenter.

Are the links rated for the same speed?

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

I can push 300 Mpbs+ over to the nearby datacenter. I'm lucky to get over 25Mbps to the remote datacenter.

Are the links rated for the same speed?

I was going to ask the same question. Not a datacenter, but I have a PACS system on a VDSL link that pings at about 38ms and can pull close to 60Mbit from. Now, of course this isn't SMB traffic........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back