Mobil1, Amsoil or PU

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am about to change the oil on my wife's 2002 Montero that has about 160,000 miles on it. We bought it with 150,000 on it so this will be my second oil change. I put PU 5W30 last time and wanted to know why I would choose one over another. Mobil1 is so much easier to find than the other 2. I think my local walmart still carries the PU though. I would be using the M1 Extended performance most likely. I love Amsoil products but they are harder to get especially if you need some to top off and are out. I usually let the oil changes go about 10,000 miles maybe more and to date have not done any oil analysis but that may be in my future.

In order of quality of product: Amsoil / Pennzoil Ultra (if you can find it) / Mobil 1 EP / Pennzoil Platinum / Mobil 1

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
In order of quality of product: Amsoil / Pennzoil Ultra (if you can find it)

That order is debatable
wink.gif

On a 2002 Montero with 160k miles, I would look at which one is the more cost effective and available.

Personally if it were my car I would run M1EP because of the price and availability at walmart. Finding Ultra is difficult and the shipping on Amsoil stuff is why I don't use it anymore.

I don't see why the regular Mobil 1 synthetic or Pennzoil Plat or Valvoline Synpower couldn't go 10,000 miles or more in that vehicle. I go with Mobil 1 EP it gives you lots of wiggle room and is easy to find at Walmart.

Last edited:
I guess I should have added that the car drives like a car with 30-40,000 miles. Prior owner did mostly highway driving and it drives great. does not use or leak oil. Has a slight knocking sound only at start-up and after 1-2 miles it goes away. So even though it has 160,000 miles I am treating it like a car that has much less mileage.

I should also add that I am not set on 5w30 but could also go with 0w30 or 10w30. Just seeing which ones everyone else likes better out of these.

Out of the 3 I'd do M1, but don't forget the old standby PP as that is very easy to find as well. I'd be more concerned with a good filter on a vehicle that is still newish to you, but has 160k on the ODO.

I'm a PU/PP fan, but all of the oils listed are great.

I would be more worried about the health of all the other fluids and systems, unless you already gave those a once over.

I would go with the PU if walmart still has it in your area. At $21 per 5 quarts (on clearance) its almost a no brainer. After that i would go with M1.

I just bought the last of the PU 5w-30 in my area. I might even get some of the last 10w-30 for summer use. :)

Remember, the oil is far more important than the filter. However with all the various opinions here I'll offer mine. Flip a coin.

Buy and use the one that is easiest to get, on sale, and does not have to be shipped or you do not have to go great distance to get it. And be sure to buy an extra quart for the top off if necessary.

All of them would be fine and so I would use 1) what's easiest to find and 2) cheaper. Mobil EP does have that 1 year or 15,000 mile thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back