Nissan Factory Fill - 2013 Juke 1.6 Tubo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering what oil the factory filled my 2013 Juke 1.6L direct injected turbo with? This car is made in Japan. The manual calls for 5w30 every 8000km (5000mi) and there isn't a synthetic oil recommendation. Having mostly owned Hondas, I've always left the factory fill in for the entire first interval. This is my first turbo and direct-injection engine and I'm thinking of changing the oil early unless Nissan has installed some magic elixir in there.

Nissan doesn't use break in oil. I would use a synthetic oil in that car. 1.6 turbo and direct injection, yeah pick any synthetic 5W-30 you like.

I run Mobil 1 5W-30 in my Nissan Frontier. Admittedly a different engine but the truck at 50,000 miles has done very well on that oil. Watch the warranty for oil change intervals. Nissan can be picky about this. On my truck severe service (most all of us fall under this) is 3750 miles for an oil change.

I would run either Mobil 1 5w30 or Pennzoil Ultra 5w30. With that being said, make sure any oil you use meets the requirements of the engine. And....I would run 5K (even factory fill) for 5K.....and keep her rolling.

Well, looks like the general consensus is to run a synthetic. Funny how the manual doesn't even mention synth oil. I have a couple jugs of Castrol Syntec 5w30 in the garage that I had slated for my CRX, looks like they'll go to good use in the Juke.

Originally Posted By: Finklejag
Nissan doesn't use break in oil.

That is a little misleading. A FF is fortified with engine assembly lube so essentially the oil is different.

I think the syntec is a good choice. If you have access to edge 0w-30 you might want to consider that for the colder months. Personally I'd change out at 3000 if the factory fill is not synthetic. I would also consider another 3000 run on a dino oil with a shot of moly in it before going to the castrol edge. Pennz yellow bottle is on sale at US Napa stores right now, not sure if Canada follows same sales. It would be a good choice.

Turbos can be hard on oil. Not sure about the 1.6T in the juke though. I'd try to find an oil in the 5w-30 spec that has a solid hths number (as close to 3.5 or higher as you can), and stick with it. Pick one you can source local and try to stash when on sale. Look for the A3 cert and you should be fine going 5k. If you want to run longer, you most likely can with an oil like GC. I'd run a uoa after the first 5k on edge of your choice and see where the numbers are to be safe if you want to push the drain interval.

The juke looks like a fun micro ute. Enjoy. I wish you could get the awd with a manual transmission, though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gabe
Originally Posted By: Finklejag
Nissan doesn't use break in oil.

That is a little misleading. A FF is fortified with engine assembly lube so essentially the oil is different.

FF oil is no different from retail-store oil... nothing magical about it.

Last edited:
Here in Europe that exact Nissan goes 30.000 km between services. and requires nothing but api sm.

funny how things are different acros the world :)

1)It has Nissan 5w30 as factory fill if it calls for 5w30. This is the one with the ester add pack, etc.
2)Turbos these days can't be all lumped into one category. While the engine might be tougher on oil than non turbo, oil cooled turbos and coolant cooled turbos have very different impact on the oil.
3)Direct Injection is probably more of a possible issue than the turbo.
4)Modern day engines sold in different places are not exactly the same and should not be treated as such.

To be honest I do not believe in European loooong intervals. To me it is latex marketing which tries to show "look, you don't even need to change the oil, you'll save the money and the enviroment, birds are proud of you".

personally i don,t believe in it too. i change for every 10.000 km. but on the other hand you can not point your finger at shorter engine life or more frequent engine damages as a result of the long intervals.

Originally Posted By: accent2012
FF oil is no different from retail-store oil... nothing magical about it.

Wrong. The FF will contain higher levels of extreme pressure additives than retail oil.

In order to prevent a new motor from seizing, certain parts will be coated with assembly lube. That assembly lube contains an extremely high level of antiwear additives. After the motor is started and oil begins to flow through, the assembly lube is dissolved into the oil. When a car leaves the factory, that motor oil contains additional additives than oil on a retail shelf.

So, ya, something magical.

Originally Posted By: shDK
Here in Europe that exact Nissan goes 30.000 km between services. and requires nothing but api sm.

Because our gasoline/octane/petrol is loaded with Corn juice
frown.gif

Lets not forget that the Juke owes a lot of it mechanicals to Renault.

And I believe over half are made in Sunderland, I think mostly for the EU.

Nissan cars are apparently improving their build quality.

The new 2013 Renaultsport Clio has the same engine, and I suspect that will be specced for a full synthetic ELF product.

I would definitely go full synth on that engine.

Not sure about the 30k km OCI.

That is what my Pathfinder is specced for, but I am happy with 5k miles, that is anywhere from 3-6 months.

30k km or two years?

No thanks.

I wonder if this direct injected engine is specced for a low saps oil like my BiL's Vectra 2.2 petrol Di?

The Turbo is a rare beasty in the UK, most are the 1.5 dci!

Originally Posted By: Ibrahim

frown.gif

The EU is increasing the amount of ethanol in petrol soon.

All my checks have indicated that the OCI of the Turbo is 12.5k or 12months.

I would drain the FF at ~2000 miles because of how heavily varnished a gasoline turbo engine can get with conventional or synthetic blend changed every 3000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Ibrahim

frown.gif

I wish all the folks that want ethanol out of their gas could send it directly to me. I'd love to take it off their hands...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back