Oil for 2011 Sonata GLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has been a long time since Ive posted here, and Ive researched this topic for hours now, and some people recommend Mobil-1, or PP 5w-20 or 5w-30, I just need help for the best oil for my car.

1. What kind of vehicle you have
2011 Sonata GLS with 50k.
2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well
API Service SM* ILSAC GF-4 or above
3. Where you live
North Carolina
4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?)
Between fast and easy
5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?)
I picked it up with 25k but for my job, I did a lot of driving which was mostly city until I changed jobs. I do mainly highway now, with 40 mile round trips 4 days a week. I do some city driving, but its mostly highway.
6. Whether your car has any known problems
No known problems since I picked it up.

From when I purchased my car, and until now I always did the recommended oil change at the dealership, so I have no knowledge of what oil they use. I know Im stupid for not asking, but I figured they would use the correct oil. I want to get my own oil from now on since I am at that 50k mark and I want this car to last for a long time.

Any assistance in this would be greatly appreciated.

The dealer likely put bulk 5W-20 dino in, as that is what is spec'd for your engine. I'd do 5K mile dino, or 7500 mile "synthetic" on sale. M1/PP is a good choice. No need for 5W-30 in your area/car, INMSHO. The factory interval is 7500 miles normal, 3750 severe.

Daughter bought a 2011 GLS last fall with 27k miles. Dealer changed the oil and filter at delivery. She does a lot of short commutes and I decided to change the oil at 4100 miles thinking it is a little on the severe side. Replaced with PP 5w20 and a Pure 1 and all is well.

I see everyone is recommending xW-20, Im wondering what is the benefit of running 0w vs 5w or 10w, I am probably leaning towards Mobil 1 since thats what I was running in my 3000GT that ran amazing before I decided to tear it down.

I know about cars, but when it comes to oil, I still scratch my head lol.

Originally Posted By: jebrown314
I see everyone is recommending xW-20, Im wondering what is the benefit of running 0w vs 5w or 10w, I am probably leaning towards Mobil 1 since thats what I was running in my 3000GT that ran amazing before I decided to tear it down.

Doesn't your engine call for a 20wt oil? If so M1 0-20 will serve you well as it does in my Fords.

I have a 2013 Sonata 2.4L. Hyundai deems Canada severe service everywhere, so 3,750 mile OCI. Running VWB 5W20 and OEM filter now and have 5W20 PYB ready for next OC.

Can't go wrong with PYB, OEM filter and 5,000 miles for your conditions.
I wouldn't run synthetic to 7,500 miles due to potential fuel dilution issues with GDI.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: jebrown314

Doesn't your engine call for a 20wt oil? If so M1 0-20 will serve you well as it does in my Fords.

Alright, I will give it a try for the next oil change and see how it goes. Im thinking of doing the same thing to my wife's 07 Ford Focus.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I went 7500 miles on Motorcraft 5w-20 synthetic Blend in my 2008 Sonata GLS 4 and got a very good UOA from Blackstone.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...909#Post1903909

That was when MC Blend was $13.87/5QT at the local Wal-Mart. Nowadays its almost $19 and less of a value IMO.

Based on the info you've provided, I'd use Quaker State Ultimate Durability full synthetic (20.97 @ WM) and change it Spring and Fall.

Originally Posted By: mrplavick
Based on the info you've provided, I'd use Quaker State Ultimate Durability full synthetic (20.97 @ WM) and change it Spring and Fall.

Plus, I believe Hyundai recommends Quaker State in their owner's manual.

Using Quaker State UD synthetic 5W-30 with OEM oil filter at 3750 OCI in my '13 Sonata GLS. Maybe a little bit overkill, but it won't break me. Try to use top tier gas (Shell, Mobil, Chevron) too per Hyundai recommendation and I throw a bottle of Techron in gas tank at each oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back