Acetone as fuel additive, users questions.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just as an informal poll, wondering how many folks are using/have tried acetone as a diesel fuel/gasoline additive. Acetone is getting much press as a signficant mileage extender for both diesel and gasoline. Just curious as to real world experience, mileage increases, side effects, etc.
There are some pretty wild claims for incredible fuel mileage increases....
George Morrison, STLE CLS
www.avlube.com
Columbus, Ohio

iam consistantly getting 23-25 mpg on my 98 vic.one has to consider also the your style of driving,oils and lubes that you use, air and oil filters etc. i also use a catch can made by accurate machine works to keep the flow by gases free of contaninated vapors from causing the drop of octane..fuel power and lube control also used..so its a combination of things...i went from 16.5mpg to 23-25mpg after 7 trips to the pump..i use 0.234 acetone x the gals. of gas

wow, that is incredible mileage for a 98 Vic! and from 16.5 mpg.. I tried acetone in my Toyota Sequoia and got no change whatsoever.. Which is why my inquiry, as the affect of Acetone seems to vary widely depending on the vehicle.. My mileage check was for a trip I do frequently and have an excellent baseline for my mileage. I average 18.7 on this total interstate trip. I averaged 18.5 with the acetone added.. I use Primrose Injector Perfector regularly so there was no injector or fuel system clean up that would take place as would lnormally with the acetone.. There are some folks who have had increases in the 50% regioni using small amountgs of acetone...
Thanks so much,
www.avlube.com
Columbus, Ohio

quote:

Originally posted by boxcartommie22:
iam consistantly getting 23-25 mpg on my 98 vic.one has to consider also the your style of driving,oils and lubes that you use, air and oil filters etc. i also use a catch can made by accurate machine works to keep the flow by gases free of contaninated vapors from causing the drop of octane..fuel power and lube control also used..so its a combination of things...i went from 16.5mpg to 23-25mpg after 7 trips to the pump..i use 0.234 acetone x the gals. of gas

I might be tempted to try it in my Caprice since I will be upgrading the fuel pump soon anyway and damaging the current one would not bother me as that is a possiblity I guess exists.
Frankly though that milage doesn't seem that great to me, I have a well modified 96 Caprice over a litre bigger engine and putting out over 350hp and drivetrain mods for dragracing and I get like 23mpg on the highway, my 95 Roadmaster wagon basically stock gets about the same milage again with a 5.7lite motor. You in an ethanol area or what? I can avoid ethanol pretty well though it is getting harder.

I hope no one counts on getting a 50% increase in efficiency, because you will be dissapointed.
Going from 16.5 to 25 mpg because of the addition of acetone alone?

read my statement above its not alone its with other factors....iam sure there are alot of engines that don't get that kind of results..a;; iknow is all my fords are getting that kind of increase...

So, boxcar, are you saying you made all those changes (in your first post) at the same time? Your last post confused me because I thought acetone was the only thing you changed... ?

GeorgeCLS-- I tried acetone (moderately expensive stuff from our lab) and saw absolutely zero effect in my '91 Subaru XT6. I HAVE found something that will increase its mileage measurably over an extended test, but acetone did zilch.

I have an '01 5.4L Ford SuperCrew 4x4 that I purchased used in March of '02 with 10K miles on it. Since then I have logged 49897 miles consuming 3304 gallons of gas, 15.1mpg average. I have checked every tankful for mileage, the highest being 18.2 (58mph on level HWY) and the lowest 11.8 (towing a 3500# boat). I recorded a 1.2mpg drop in fuel economy average when MTBE was replaced with Ethanol. On my last tankful I started using Acetone at a mixture ratio of .25oz per gallon and my first report is: 366.4mi / 22.6gal = 16.2mpg.

This is only one tankful so I can't consider it a success. My first impression is good, thinking that I may have regained what I lost when Ethanol became our oxegenate here in CA. Like I said, I record every tank of fuel and this is the first of many. I will probably run 8-10 tanks then stop the Acetone blend and see if my mileage decreases.

My daily commute is a 12-mile round trip with some HWY speeds approaching 70mph and some two lane roads that rarely get faster than 25mph.

BTW- Over the past three years I have used Chevron, Shell, ARCO, Mobil and Union 76 gasolines with no recordable difference between them. Lately I've used Mobil and Shell 87 grade gas.

I must relate that in my 2001 Toyota Sequoia, I had a decrease in my normal mileage with acetone. I will re-check, obviously. It was a one time on a regular trip that I normally record 18.5 to 18.7 mpg. With the acetone added I got 16.7. AGain, one time and certainly nothing to make comments on, just sharing a simple one time experience. There does seem to be variability with respect to acetone's affect on engines. Some engines return incredible increases while others do not; ethanol fuels, as example, do not respond well to acetone addition. Diesel engines seem to respond even better than gasoline engines but, again, variable for some reason...... My Sequoia has had Primrose injector perfector (industrial strength injector/system cleaner) run through on a regular basis so some of acetone's cleaning increases may have been minimized.. I will re-run with and without and share the results; again, my one time was a bit discouraging which prompted me to post to see what kind of results others were getting...
Thanks so much for your responses.
AV Lubricants
Columbus, Ohio
www.avlube.com

i was getting 16.5-17.8mpg with just the stuff i did to the vehicles then when i added acetone thats when my mileage went to 23-25mpg..iam going on 10 trips to the gas station now and it still is in that range

boxcartommie, have you tried stopping the acetone for a couple of tanks to see if the MPG drops? this will help nail it down as the single cause of the increase.
i'm still on my first tank of acetone with some MMO mixed in to help with lubricity. MMO alone did not increase my MPG in the past, so any increase i will attribute to the acetone, but need a few tanks to see any real effects.

I have 2000 Eldorado , tried acetone a couple of times at 3oz per 10 gallons. I live just out side chicago and we have 10% ethanol blend in our gas .I really didnt see any change in mileage. Is any one seeing results with ethanol blended gas

Acetone in gas will increase its solvent ability. Maybe some increases are just from cleaning the injectors/fuel system. This type of increase won't go away when you stop using acetone. If acetone is actually functioning as a mileage additive, then eliminating it as surfstar suggested will also eliminate the mileage increase.

I have seen little or no change from acetone in my 2000 4Runner 3.4L. I used 4 oz/10 gal.

My first tank I added 3oz Acetone for ~13gal of gas. Came out to ~2.3oz/10gal. Also 5oz of MMO to add lubricity (made me feel safer adding them together, than a straight solvent).

MPG were a the lower end of my range recently. This tank I have added 4.25oz/14gal or 3oz/10gal with no MMO. Doesn't seem to be helping much. After these two tank runs, I'm going for a tank with no adds to compare.

Engine is a 2.0L DOHC. Gets techron/etc ~3 times a year and MPG has always been good. Maybe acetone helps larger engines, pushrods, or something else better?

From my reading on the 'Acetone site", there seems to be great variability of results with acetone.. The reduction of surface tension may be more beneficial with older vehicles. One older Ford Focus reported a 50% increase, while other more state of the art engines reported none or even slight decrease. Also, experimenting with additization rates is very relative. One reported no increase at 4 ounces/tank yet significant gains with just one ounce per tank.. Each vehicle apparently has an optimum additization percentage..
Again, my Toyota Sequoia has so far returned no increase whatsoever... Continued testing, varying additization rates...
The Acetone Site is very serious about acetone's potential as a very significant world reduction in fuel usage...
George Morrison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back