2013 Ram 1500 5.7L Engine Howl noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just took delivery of a 2013 Ram 1500 Quad Cab with a 5.7L Hemi engine. Driving home from the dealership, I immediately noticed an engine "howling" noise at around 40 mph when the throttle is under a light load, or no load when decelerating from a higher speed with the noise starting at around 45 and stopping by 30 mph. I would descrive the sound as a dog howling from the distance, low frequency sounding (Like when my dad used to tune the AM radio slightly off and you heard that annoying low frequency tone.) FYI-I have checked the air filter and intake assembly and everything appears normal there.

The noise does not appear during acceleration, only during light throttle loads (maintaining 40 mph) or foot completely off the pedal.

It seems to me that it might be either an air intake issue related to lower airflows, or it might be someting related to the ECO mode when 4 cylinders are deactived.

The vehicle I purchased is different that the one I test drove, and when I took my truck to the dealership to have this checked out, a supervisor rode with me, hears the noise, and said: "They all do that- Chrysler knows about it, but there is no fix."

I have checked other forums and cannot find any mention of this issue. Chrysler suggested I try another dealership to see what they can find about this problem.

Anyone had a similar experience with their Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: 757guy
when I took my truck to the dealership to have this checked out, a supervisor rode with me, hears the noise, and said: "They all do that- Chrysler knows about it, but there is no fix."

I'd bet good money that the salesman would not have said those words if he was riding with you on a test drive.

I did not try googling "Front End Howl", but thank you for pointing me in the right direction! (I only googled 2013 Ram 1500 5.7L engine howl")

once again, Bobistheoilguy to the rescue!!

Thank you sayjac!!!

757guy

For the benefit of others, Ram Forum has a discussion about the same issue with others and it turns out the fix is to isolate transmission oil coller lines from the fan shroud housing. Apparently, the housing is amplifying the fluid velocity noise.

Isolation involves removing the bracket bolt and putting foam padding behind the bracket. According to others that have tried this, it solves the problem.

Thanks again to sayjac for pointing me in the right direction!!

Let us know if it works! Otherwise this thread is pointless
smile.gif

I am amazed!! I just finished modifying the transmission oil cooler line attachment point to the fan housing and the noise is GONE!!

I drove for 25 minutes at various speeds where the noise used to occur, and now, nothing, nada, zip. No Noise!!

A big thanks to my pals here at BITOG! Hopefully this thread will help someone else who wonders why their newer Ram 1500 makes a howling noise at 40 mph.

Don't you just love it when a simple fix cures a big problem!

Update: I was just contacted by Chrysler Engineering to advise me that they have devised a repair kit that involves wrapping the transmission coller lines with a foam cover which will isolate the noise further.

According to the Engineer, Chrysler will have this fix avilable to all dealers soon.

If you need further assistance, contact Chrysler customer service directly at 1-800-992-1997 and tell them you need information about the 2013 Ram 1500 Front End Howling issue and the Transmission Oil Cooler Line modification.

Good Luck!

757Guy

Update: Returned from the dealership after having the transmission oil cooler lines wrapped in insulation - and the NOISE is back!!

In other words, they Chrysler engineering fix does not work.

My method of removing the bracket bolt that is attached to the fan shroud housing is the solution. Chrysler will not re-design the bracket to isolate the transmission cooling lines.

I have been to the dealership 4 times in 2 weeks on this issue. Time to invoke consumer protection laws, i.e., Lemon Law, and force the issue.

Wish I had better news - real disappointment when you have a new truck that has more miles to the shop instead of down the road.

757Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back