Maxlife ATF for Toyota WS

Valvoline MaxLive Dex/Merc ATF is usually carried by Walmart. If it's there then that's probably the cheapest place to get it.

Some Wal-Marts have MaxLife for $17/gal. Auto Zone or Advance up here have it for $18.

WS is only at Toyota dealers. You'll have to call around.

Originally Posted By: firefighter0629
Where is the cheapest place to buy Toyota WS? Valvoline Maxlife? Thanks!

The Toyota part # for WS is 00289-ATFWS. Currently $6.73 at Camel Back Toyota . $8 shipping for 12 qts.

MaxLife is currently $65 (free shipping) at Amazon for 3 1-gallon jugs ($5.41/qt).

I traded in the Taco with 82,000 miles, so about 11,000 on the Maxlife. It was shifting perfectly. I am very satisfied with the Maxlife in this WS application.

I'm confused on Maxlife ATF as it seems many have suggested it synthetic. Reading thru the specs online, I could not find where it was synthetic.

I did read where it said with "base oils" blend which would suggest non-synthetic.

comments welcome.

Originally Posted By: norpat
I'm confused on Maxlife ATF as it seems many have suggested it synthetic. Reading thru the specs online, I could not find where it was synthetic.

I did read where it said with "base oils" blend which would suggest non-synthetic.

comments welcome.

It is formulated with synthetic base stocks...

I think it says so on the bottles too, although I can't remember for sure.

Has anyone had any experience with Motul Multi ATF in place of WS? http://tinyurl.com/multiatf
Being Motul I would guess it better than the genuine toyota fluid (which I can only assume is made by Mobil in Japan). The stuff I sell comes from Japan anyway. Not sure about North America.

To bump up and older thread for someone who cares.

I have now used MaxLife and WS (replacement) in my 2009 Camry U250E (same basic transmissions as all 2002-2006 FWD V6 Toyotas and 2002-2009 2AZFE Toyotas; Solara, Highlander, Matrix, tC, etc.) transmission with great results.

Shifts are great just like when a WS refresh was done. And at little more than 5 bucks per quart and the fact that I can also use it in T-III/Dex III and T-IV applications for Toyota vehicles I service its a no brainer to use.

I want to hear from owners that have gone 75K to 100K on Maxlife. Heck, just about any type of trans fluid will work for a mere 10 to 15K miles.

I've not used ML for 75k miles 'yet', but I'm currently successfully using it the three applications, two Hondas (Civic/~45k miles on ML, and Accord) and a Tacoma 3.4L. Sure is nice to have one ATF to use in three applications with confidence. And for ~$17/gal, it's an excellent value to boot.

I agree, does anyone else have long term results after a full flush of Maxlife or any other multi-vehicle ATF? I find it hard to believe that the same ATF can be work for Toyota T-IV and WS when they're CLEARLY not interchangeable. If you poured genuine T-IV into a WS tranny or vice versa, it'll probably blow up after 10k so why would 1 fluid work for so many applications? There has to be some compromise.

Originally Posted By: toyo
I want to hear from owners that have gone 75K to 100K on Maxlife. Heck, just about any type of trans fluid will work for a mere 10 to 15K miles.

Originally Posted By: norpat

comments welcome.

"base oils" just means the lubricant without any additives. base oil is synthetic or conventional or a blend.

Maxlife uses synthetic base oils.

toyo said:
I want to hear from owners that have gone 75K to 100K on Maxlife. Heck, just about any type of trans fluid will work for a mere 10 to 15K miles. [/quote

I have gone through from 117K to 185K now, that is close to 70K without any problem.

I did a drain fill at 117K when I bought the Sienna.
Drop pan and fill at 130K,
Cooler flush without dropping the pan at 160K using 12 qts of fluid.
Now at 185K and the fluid is still red.

The sienna have a few pan bolts above the frame so I let mechanics did the pan drop, change the filter and clean the pan at 130K together with timing belt change.

I have also added a Magnefine since 117K.

It looks like I can monitor the color before I need to change it the next time.
So far at 25K, the fluid still looks like new.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HKPolice
I agree, does anyone else have long term results after a full flush of Maxlife or any other multi-vehicle ATF? I find it hard to believe that the same ATF can be work for Toyota T-IV and WS when they're CLEARLY not interchangeable. If you poured genuine T-IV into a WS tranny or vice versa, it'll probably blow up after 10k so why would 1 fluid work for so many applications? There has to be some compromise.

Originally Posted By: toyo

What makes you think they are not interchangeable? Toyota just started putting WS in all their transmissions in 2003. It was a politically motivated decisions, not an egnineering one. WS is thinner to try to get more mileage out to boost CAFE numbers - that is what Toyota engineers have written in SAE published engineering reports. The thicker T-IV is, in my experience, stable longer and kinder on the machinery. I am using MaxLife in a Lexus U151E transmission and it works flawlessly at 232k miles. I use it in other applicationsn, too. When my neighbor's late model 4Runner started slipping because The WS had worn out and sheared at 58k, we flushed and put MaxLife in it and got everything back to
business as usual.

If you do want to maintain the mileage optimization goals of the WS, Mag1 makes a WS-compatible "Low Vis" formula that is full synthetic and high performance than WS. It is also very price competitive.

Last edited:
I didn't put many miles on mine before I traded it in, but I believe Maxlife is a better fit for WS than T-IV because the viscosities are similar.

cSt @ 100

MaxLife - 6.11
Amsoil ATL - 6.0
WS - 6.0
T-IV (Mobil 3309) - 7.1

3309 and T-IV can be found cheaply enough. I've used Castrol IMV for that application with good success too.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
I didn't put many miles on mine before I traded it in, but I believe Maxlife is a better fit for WS than T-IV because the viscosities are similar.

cSt @ 100

MaxLife - 6.11
Amsoil ATL - 6.0
WS - 6.0
T-IV (Mobil 3309) - 7.1

3309 and T-IV can be found cheaply enough. I've used Castrol IMV for that application with good success too.

I use WS in the Lexus and may eventually try Maxlife because the viscosities are very close. I hate assuming but hopefully the additive package is also close.

I'll just put in my .02c and say once we switched our lubricant supplier to Valvoline we flushed 1000's of litres of Maxlife and a lot were in WS applications. The hybrid drain and fills were done with Maxlife too with no complaints ither. Previously we used PetroCanada duradrive which was "ok" for WS applications but received lots of complaints from it.

Originally Posted By: Dr_No
Previously we used PetroCanada duradrive which was "ok" for WS applications but received lots of complaints from it.

what kinds of complaints?

Back