Maintenance items for Generac 20K generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Just installed a Generac 20K standby natural gas generator with the GT-999 engine. I am preparing for any upcoming mainenance. I could just use Generac oil and air filters as well as Champion spark plugs. Anyone have experience with other oil and air filters? Also, I never had good luck with Champion spark plugs. Is there a NGK cross reference for the RC12YC. Unfortunatly when I look up the cross reference list there about 10 NGK plugs that fit the bill.

I am planning on running 5W30 synthetic oil which is one of the recommended oils.

Your thoughts.

Steve

I have a Generac GT-990 engine which is in their 16kW (using propane) standby unit. I've used AMSOIL Ea009 oil filter previously. I've been using AMSOIL & Purolator PureONE oil filter changed yearly. I've now moved to changing every 2 years based on a couple UOAs unless power is out for weeks on end.

How many hours are on the unit? The manual says to check the valve clearance as well. I did on the front side but didn't need an adjustment.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
I have a Generac GT-990 engine which is in their 16kW (using propane) standby unit. I've used AMSOIL Ea009 oil filter previously. I've been using AMSOIL & Purolator PureONE oil filter changed yearly. I've now moved to changing every 2 years based on a couple UOAs unless power is out for weeks on end.

How many hours are on the unit? The manual says to check the valve clearance as well. I did on the front side but didn't need an adjustment.

Really just installed it! Less than one hour on the unit.

Based on Amsoils website mine seems to call for a EA15K09 oil filter

Last edited:
dad is having one of these installed @ the house...sometime soon...
he paid(in full) a trusted local contractor( same guys who put in new AC/Furnace/and water heater about a year go, and do the HVAC system for the curch) nearly a month ago, not heard back.
though they did say generac is having a hard time keeping up with orders after all the storms on the east coast this year

When I started looking up parts to do the service for him, he said, he'd already signed a service contract for it. $130/yr, or so, they come out and do it all.

the Generac filter cross references to a fram **4967.
use the below link to cross ref to your brand of choice.
http://www.framcatalog.com/PartDetailWindow.aspx?b=F&pn=PH4967

Last edited:
I have a friend that is a Gererac tech and he uses M1 5-30 in all his PMs for his customers.

I have an Amsoil EAO 34 on my Generac, and am using the Amsoil ASE SAE 30 oil. I did change the filter last year, but not the oil. After receiving the report back from Blackstone, I saw no need to change it. The oil had about less than 30 hours on it. It is coming up on a year again, so I will test again, as long as it is good, I may not change anything this year. I am in Virginia, and even though it can get cold here, I have not had any issues with the ASE, and it should be good down to about -18F, never seen it that cold, but I have seen -11F many years ago. By the way, it did not use any oil either, longest run time was about three hours before that filter change. I did have an 18 hour run this past summer, still no oil use.

You being farther north, you may want to use an oil with better cold start properties.

no experience with one personally, but i would imagine nothing.
kinda like the Kohler, Briggs & Stratton, John Deere, etc. filters that will cost you $10+, but are no more magical, in fact probably cheaper made, than a $3.50 Purolator classic that fits the same job.

...or if you have a Menards nearby, a Quaker State filter for $2 (made by purolator, basically a purolator classic with a diff. paint job. basically)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back