Oil for KTM 690 SMC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First I apologize if there is another motorcycle oil forum specifically for a question such as this one but seems there is only a used motorcycle oil forum.

I have a KTM 690 SMC. KTM recommends Motorex 10w60 oil exclusively. This stuff is both expensive and not so easy to find.

Anyone know a reason why I can't use something like Amsoil's 10w60? I'd love to be able to just use that.

Thanks in advance for any help.

My buddy has this bike. He is a mechanical fanatic. He is also very OCD. All of his bikes look better than new. As soon as anything becomes hazed, faded, oxidized in the slightest bit (you'd never see it), he replaces it. He is NUTS about his bikes. Believe me when I tell you that he has bikes with 5000 miles on them that look better than new....because they are.

So, I trust this guy with a lot of his info and experience. He rebuilds engines for a living.

He runs Motul 7100 4T 10w60 in his KTM 690. If he thought he needed to run anything else or anything else might be better, he'd use it. He likes Motul too. Motul goes in everything he owns.

Ok guys thanks for the input. I think some 15w50 M1 will work fine too. 10w40 high mileage in my previous bike (kawasaki concours 14A) worked very well. No degrade in shift quality over a couple thousand miles worked for me. I Think that may go in my Ducati also. I may give Motul a try also but that stuff is very pricey too. The KTM doesn't require much oil so the cost is not a big deal for it. Having to mail order Motorex would be a pain. 19 dollars a quart + another 15 for shipping wouldn't break the bank but it just doesn't feel right if not needed.

And yes, I was mistaken about the 60 weight amsoil it is a single grade oil in both motorcycle and automobile oils.

HOws the Heat, and the vibration level on the ktm?

I'd like some feedback on the bike, how you like it what are some things you dont like.

Hello Mackelroy.

This is the first single cycle bike I've owned. I've read and been told it's one of the smoother of the large single cylinder engines around. There is very little to no vibration at the handlebars. Vibration is felt in the legs and seat. Comparing it to say my ZX6R or Concours 14A, it's nowhere near as smooth as they were. So smoothness is relative I guess. My wife's CBR 250R is considerably smoother too but then again it's less than 1/2 the power and size. The vibration it has is more than tolerable.

The bike absolutely is a blast to ride. It's more fun to me than a supersport bike because the handling is fantastic and you needn't be into triple digits to have a blast on it.

It is NOT a bike that's easy to ride smoothly the thing is like a bucking bronco in first gear requiring a little clutch slippage to smooth it out. Let's put it this way, if you don't have good throttle and clutch control the bike will get away from you. It is NOT for the inexperienced. Having said that once you've got that down it requires less skill in the twisties than a supersport bike. Which is why I own it and sold my ZX6R to buy it.

Heat has never been an issue for me but I've only had it since November. I don't feel any heat coming off the bike though so I doubt that is a problem.

I can't really think of anything I don't like about it but I don't have much to compare it to (I'm relatively new to the motorcycling world). I've heard the stock seat is terrible. Mine has an aftermarket seat and after 25 miles it get's a bit uncomfortable. Repositioning seems to work well enough though. I've also heard the stock exhaust is terrible. Mine has Akrapovic exhaust.

Brakes are terrific. The ride is VERY firm but again tolerable (suspension is adjusted for paved track riding).

I had a friend of mine ride my Ducati. He rides a BMW 1200 GS. His response to riding the Ducati was "I'd lose my license with this bike". Then he rode the KTM and after 2-3 miles he caught up to me at a light and said " this bike is the most fun bike I've ever ridden". And he's ridden ALOT. He also commented after experiencing 1st gear throttle response with "get it in second gear quick", lol.

Last edited:
I've been lusting after one of these since they came out.

Rode a Hypermotard a couple of weekends ago on some tight backroads and it was an absolute hoot. More power than the KTM 690, but also much porkier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back