2012 F150 Ecoboost 5200mi Pennzoil Ultra 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a UOA from a buddies truck. Just wanted some thoughts from the experts!
2012 F150 Ecoboost
Miles on oil: 5200
Miles on truck: 11500
Oil: Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 (second 5k interval)
No makeup oil
No TBN

Code:

Aluminum 5

Chromium 1

Iron 23

Copper 36

Lead 1

Tin 0

Moly 56

Nickel 0

Manganese 10

Silver 0

Titanium 2

Potassium 6

Boron 62

Silicon 24

Sodium 3

Calcium 2155

Magnesium 47

Phosphorus 688

Zinc 828

Barium 0

SUS visc @ 210F 52.2

cST visc @ 100C 7.93

Flashpoint 380F

Fuel 0.5

Blackstone comments:

Your F150 has a nice 3.5 housed inside of it. Universal averages show typical wear levels from this type of engine after about 5200 miles on the oil. This oil was in use just as long, and wear metals all read in the average range, which shows that this engine is in sound mechanical condition with regard to parts sharing the oil. The viscosity was on the low side, but wasnt low enough to affect anything negatively. We'll keep and eye on the viscosity next time. No contamination was found. Going to 7500 miles on the next oil should not be a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wearing in nicely. Solid shearing going on. I wouldn't want a lesser oil in that engine.

I can't recall a 3.5 Ecoboost UOA that didn't drop the viscosity.

Some others have shown a lot more fuel dilution, anyone think that B/S is off on the fuel % in this one? If not, there could be some hope for mine.

I forgot to mention that this truck has a round trip work commute of around 100 miles. Possible cause of low fuel??

I have a feeling that is why they spec 5w30 for this engine and 5w20 for other engines. You suggest double upgrade and voiding warranty?

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I know it is not a warranty oil but i'd be tempted to run a 5w 40 in it, with that degree of shearing.

Originally Posted By: REDDOG
I bet heavily the fuel is much higher than reported here. Seen it time, and time again.

I think you are right the flashpoint here is 380f. I think ultra should be around 430f.

This is the second Ultra UOA I've seen posted today with much lower calcium than previously. SM was running around 3,000 ppm and most SN UOA's I've seen had calcium around 2,600 ppm.

Originally Posted By: dmaxtech
I forgot to mention that this truck has a round trip work commute of around 100 miles. Possible cause of low fuel??

The fuel is from fuel dilution. This is common with DI engines.

Originally Posted By: Coprolite
I have a feeling that is why they spec 5w30 for this engine and 5w20 for other engines. You suggest double upgrade and voiding warranty?

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I know it is not a warranty oil but i'd be tempted to run a 5w 40 in it, with that degree of shearing.

I have 25K on my ecoboost. I'm going to try some M1 0w40 or T6 5w40 this summer. It'll be in between my dealer visits for warranty. Ford will never know the use of the 40w due to the dilution and shearing.... thats if, and a big IF I were to have a problem. As long as I'm at the dealer before 1 year or 10K, this oci will be 4K due to OLM, that leaves me 6K and 7 months before my dealership oil change. That'll be a perfect test comparison for running 40w.

Sorry volk06, i should have made myself more clear. My bad. I am aware of the DI fuel dilution. Thought that the "lower than normal" fuel % could be from the vehicle getting driven long distances on a daily basis.

Originally Posted By: dmaxtech
Sorry volk06, i should have made myself more clear. My bad. I am aware of the DI fuel dilution. Thought that the "lower than normal" fuel % could be from the vehicle getting driven long distances on a daily basis.

Ah gotchya! Very well could be but... Blackstone is horrible at report fuel %, they just use an estimated method. Places like polaris use a HPLC that actually test for fuel % and those UOA have show very high fuel, 4-5% when blackstone has reported very little fuel dilution.

Thanks. I'll pass that info on to the owner. Maybe he'll want to look into Polaris labs next time.

Don't you think the 100 miles per day would burn off any fuel in the oil? It's a commute, not a slalom run. There shouldn't be too much blow by at highway speed.

Volk, I would consider 0w40 once I run out of Ultra, if Ultra is not available or was showing bad UOA (unlikely). I have enough of that stocked up that it will be years until I have to worry about that.

Why are you seeing the dealer once a year/ every 10k? I don't plan on seeing the inside of a Ford dealer voluntarily...

That is, if I can install this front license holder. The hard part is removing the part of the bumper. Google and an F150 forum will answer those things, I bet.

Hence HTO-06 and such related standards common to 30 weight oils. 40 weight also not too bad... I was simply explaining why I didn't mind the slight shearing out of grade.

Originally Posted By: nitehawk55
a 30 weight is more suitable for turbos

Originally Posted By: Coprolite
Volk, I would consider 0w40 once I run out of Ultra, if Ultra is not available or was showing bad UOA (unlikely). I have enough of that stocked up that it will be years until I have to worry about that.

Why are you seeing the dealer once a year/ every 10k? I don't plan on seeing the inside of a Ford dealer voluntarily...

That is, if I can install this front license holder. The hard part is removing the part of the bumper. Google and an F150 forum will answer those things, I bet.

To keep my 7yr/100K powertrain warranty in effect and they rotate my tires with the oil change (my own oil, I watch them pour it in), since I don't have the facility to rotate my tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back