Roadforce balancing vs regular balancing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know who offers this in Canada? Also wondering how much better it is than standard balancing with stick on weights?

I don't know about Canada, but Garvey Hyundai in Plattsburgh, NY does it for $99.95. About an hour or so from you, depending on traffic at the border.

Roadforce balancing loads the tire to simulate real life rolling resistance so that the tire is balanced based on how it will behave on the road, not spinning freely in the air. It also finds and can help compensate for abnormalities in the tire. Much more comprehensive balancing technique. It can help you to avoid purchasing new tires in order to eliminate ride discomfort, or it can help find defective tires that need replacement.

Last edited:
It's a lot better. It doesn't just offset imbalances with more weight, it actually reduces imbalance by lining up the wheel and the tire to the optimum point, then adds only the weight necessary to bring it down to minimum. It can also find tires that have hard spots or other defects that wouldn't be found simply by balancing.

*edit* I see salv beat me to it while I was writing my reply...

So does it require a dismount and remount of the tire many times to get that right first?

Funny that Ive had fine results with normal balancing for years and literally a million miles.

What conditions justify this? Busted wheels? Bad tires? Low profile tires?

Tires and wheels alike, inevitably have "heavy spots". In a circumstance where theses heavy spots are more pronounced, the machine will identify the spots that are heaviest. The tire can then be rotated on the rim so that the heavy spots on the rim and on the tire are oriented opposite one another, and the tire can then be more accurately balanced.
If a tire has excessive runout, or is out of round, it can be identified immediately without several attempts to balance a tire before condemning the tire.
Most people that will opt for a roadforce balance will do so for diagnostic purposes because no matter how many balance attempts are made, there is still a shake, vibration or tire pull.
A roadforce machine also will print detailed diagrams relating to balance and location of the tire that can be useful in obtaining compensation for defective tires.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Does anyone know who offers this in Canada? Also wondering how much better it is than standard balancing with stick on weights?

I don't know if this website works for Canada, but it does have a locator function:

GSP9700

The button is in the upper right hand corner.

Oh, and just to be clear: The Hunter GSP9700 measures "Roadforce" AND balance. We're all familiar with static and dynamic balancing, but the "Roadforce" is like measuring run-out. It can help determine if the tires have excessive values and can help orient the tire relative to the wheel to minimize that value. This re-orientation does NOT minimize the weight - "run-out" only. (And just to be technically accurate, the value it is measuring is "uniformity", which is sort like run-out, but not exactly that.)

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
So does it require a dismount and remount of the tire many times to get that right first?............

Only if the tech feels like doing the work of getting to the lowest possible road force number.
whistle.gif
If he's in a hurry, or lazy, he may just say "that's good enough" and move on to the next tire.

Not so much a mount/dismount. More like chalk the rim and tire to where the machine tells you to and then break the beads and rotate the tire so the chalk marks line up.

The Road Force balancer is awesome if used by a technician that knows what they are doing and cares to use it to the ability the machine provides. My auto tech school got one of the first ones and it came in really handy when I was mounting race tires for a friend of mine on his 04 Cobra. I could actually spend an hour balancing the tires making sure everything was perfect.

I just had a new set of Michelin mxv4's mounted on new wheels and paid 40 bucks extra for road force balancing. One of the wheel/tires required NO weight at all!!!!!!! The others had maybe a couple ounces total spread out on the wheel. A combo of sticky and clip on weights for some reason... Worth it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back