exhaust system lubricant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it might be beneficial for us to oil the exhaust system. We all know it sees extreme heat and whether it sees road salt or not I think it should be done.

Problem is, we don't want to start a fire.

I used to spray WD40 on my sportbike headers and it just smoked but never flamed up. Just look how bad headers look after seeing dirt and alot of heat cycles and I think it may be something to look into.

Either get a stainless, or titanium exhaust, or remove it completely and paint it with BBQ or header paint.

Oiling it though, thats funny.

Even stainless will rust due to the heat and salt, but it takes a really long time.

The paint idea is a good one.

How about cleaning it really good,then spraying something like Eagle One Wax As You Dry on it? I always spray my engine bay with it when I detail it.

Originally Posted By: Falken
This can cause a fire. This thread will probably get deleted very soon.

Attention all "noobs".....

NEVER use lubricants on exhaust system parts things like headers, manifolds, ect.

A fire or explosion may occur and cause SERIOUS injury or death.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: Falken
This can cause a fire. This thread will probably get deleted very soon.

Attention all "noobs".....

NEVER use lubricants on exhaust system parts things like headers, manifolds, ect.

A fire or explosion may occur and cause SERIOUS injury or death.

Yes but to lube your exhaust (LOLOLOL!!!) you could just get the motor oil with the highest flash point. That way it would smoke but not burn.
57.gif

If you want to put something on your exhaust you can powder coat it.

If you need to lube manifold studs etc use anti-sieze, the oil will flash off but the "stuff" will stick around.

I usually remove my header about once a month and coat the inside with some synthetic 10w-30. This really helps my exhaust flow and improves performance. Oh wait, I can't post this until Monday!

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
I think it might be beneficial for us to oil the exhaust system. We all know it sees extreme heat and whether it sees road salt or not I think it should be done.

Problem is, we don't want to start a fire.

I used to spray WD40 on my sportbike headers and it just smoked but never flamed up. Just look how bad headers look after seeing dirt and alot of heat cycles and I think it may be something to look into.
WD 40 sprayed on a nice chrome plated header when hot , it is said, will give you a gold color that some favor. I, personally, would be wary of spraying it on anything hot whthout knowing what the propellant is.

Last edited:
NONONO

You oil all your exhaust components while cold. Let it sit around a while then crank it open with plenty of ventilation until the smoke clears. Then you go for a ride without (hopefully) a need to replace welds or clamps or pipe when Johnny nolube does have to.

I'm not quite Super Dave Osborne (sp?) enough to go around spraying gasoline on fire as I was made out to be.

Whenever I have the exhaust system open at the manifold end, I try and tip a tablespoonful or few of Portland Cement in it. Probably a bad idea with a catalyst, but I've managed to avoid those so far.

I have no concrete evidence (fnar fnar, geddit?) that it works, but the theory seems sound.

Not an exhaust system lubricant per se, but then neither is what the OP was proposing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
NONONO

You oil all your exhaust components while cold. Let it sit around a while then crank it open with plenty of ventilation until the smoke clears. Then you go for a ride without (hopefully) a need to replace welds or clamps or pipe when Johnny nolube does have to.

I'm not quite Super Dave Osborne (sp?) enough to go around spraying gasoline on fire as I was made out to be.

I'd rub sunflower oil on with a pad made of crumpled aluminium foil. The oil is going to smoke off, but some of the aluminium may hang about and have some protective effect. That works very well as a bodywork rust treatment, but I doubt it'd be very effective on an exhaust.

I'll let y'all know if I try it, but heat resistant paint (WHAT'S THAT MADE OF?)seems like a better bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back