01 BMW 325Ci w/ valve cover off

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMB

Here is my friend's E46 325Ci with valve cover off.
200,500 miles
Since he owned it (163,000 miles) until today used only M1 0W-40 with OCIs of 8-10K miles
The VANOS gasket was leaking and we changed it.

Originally Posted By: SMB

The Vanos seals or the valve cover gasket?

If it was the Vanos seals, was it a big job? I've seen DIY instructions on the web that seemed fairly complex.

With that engine and those kind of miles I think that is in pretty darn good shape. We always want to see shiny metal like a brand new engine but that just isn't "real world" with a lot of engines. Thanks for the pics!

Originally Posted By: V8man
I wonder what oil was used before 163,000 miles.

That is the big question. I assume had M1 0w40 been used the entire time there would be very little if any discoloring at all.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

The Vanos seals or the valve cover gasket?

If it was the Vanos seals, was it a big job? I've seen DIY instructions on the web that seemed fairly complex.

There is a gasket just underneath the VANOS unit that was leaking badly. We also changed the VANOS seals (o-rings) while we were there. It was time consuming but not complex. You can do it just follow the DIY instructions like I did.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
most pics look good... but what is going on with all the gunk in the last picture?

There was a tiny bit of sludge on the cover. I am thinking the previous owner used dino oil.

Originally Posted By: V8man
I wonder what oil was used before 163,000 miles.

That is the big question. I assume had M1 0w40 been used the entire time there would be very little if any discoloring at all.

I will ask the PO and post here if he knows.

Originally Posted By: wirelessF
I'll be doing the valve cover gasket on my aunts 04 BMW 325i on Friday. Hope it does not look like this.

Please post pictures.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
I would wager that the Mobil 1 0W40 has been cleaning. Maybe a lot dirtier when the car got it's new owner.

Yup. I bet the original oil was the BMW 5w-30. I've posted many pics of this family of engine apart........ We have two in the family.

My sister's '03 330i:
2003330ivcg03.jpg

It has roughly 120,000Km on it?

My wife's '00 328i:
338iengine02.jpg

338iengine04.jpg

It has closer to 300,000Km on it.

Nice pics. What oils were used in both engines?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I would wager that the Mobil 1 0W40 has been cleaning. Maybe a lot dirtier when the car got it's new owner.

Yup. I bet the original oil was the BMW 5w-30. I've posted many pics of this family of engine apart........ We have two in the family.

My sister's '03 330i:
2003330ivcg03.jpg

My wife's '00 328i:
338iengine02.jpg

338iengine04.jpg

Nice pics. What oils were used in both engines?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

My sister's '03 330i:
2003330ivcg03.jpg

My wife's '00 328i:
338iengine02.jpg

338iengine04.jpg

I don't know. Though with my sister's, we can safely assume it was BMW 5w-30 up until she started running M1 0w-40 in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back