09 wrx, Amsoil HDD 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil report

Ran over 15 autox events on this oil. Oil temps reached around 240 degrees on a couple weekends where ambient temp exceeded 100 degrees. I added 3/4 can of lubro-moly.
Seems like the oil thickened up some over its life.

Originally Posted By: WrxRcr
Oil report

Ran over 15 autox events on this oil. Oil temps reached around 240 degrees on a couple weekends where ambient temp exceeded 100 degrees. I added 3/4 can of lubro-moly.
Seems like the oil thickened up some over its life.

Spec V@100cST is 11.7. Report shows 11.3.....how do you figure it "thickened up?"

Looks like the oil did a fine job to me. Wear metals are higher than average, but the average probably doesn't include much track time.
grin.gif

Isn't this one of engines that had issues with the oil screen clogging that feeds the turbo? I believe in 2010 Subaru started mandating the use of synthetic oil in the turbo engines...but I have only recently started to read up on Subie engines.

My opinion...a premium synthetic oil can do a fine job on its own. Either let the AMSOIL go it alone, or source some oil that comes with moly already in the jug.

[/quote] Spec V@100cST is 11.7. Report shows 11.3.....how do you figure it "thickened up?" [/quote]

The two viscosity numbers increased over the first report running same numbers.

Last edited:
One additional thing, I started draining my oil when I remembered that I wanted to do and oil sample. I ran over to my tool bench open up the package from blackstone and then screwed off the lid. By the time i got back to my car the oil was drained. I manipulated the jack to get the last bit of oil out of the pan to fill the container with. Not sure how much of an affect this would have on the report. Oil was cold, car had been sitting for a couple days.

I'm very curious to see a uoa with this many track events on the oil without the mos2. I will bet wear metals are much higher without the mos2 added.
Thanks for posting.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I'm very curious to see a uoa with this many track events on the oil without the mos2. I will bet wear metals are much higher without the mos2 added.
Thanks for posting.

This last change i didnt add nearly as much moly, give me 6 months and i will have another report for ya.

Originally Posted By: WrxRcr
[/quote] Spec V@100cST is 11.7. Report shows 11.3.....how do you figure it "thickened up?"

The two viscosity numbers increased over the first report running same numbers. [/quote]

In your first report, the oil sheared just over 8%. In the second, with 15 claimed autocross events, it sheared half of that, a little over 4%. Considering it's use, the HDD 5W30 performed quite well.

In addition, more than just a couple of UOA's over similar use would be more meaningful
to indicate any kind of trend.

As stated by othters, no additives to this oil are really necessary.

The high silicon is probably leaching from when i installed a new killer b pick up tube prior to last fill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back