Power Steering fluid for the 2002 Buick century?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What type of fluid goes in the power steering system on a 2002 buick century?

The manual states...

GM Power Steering Fluid
(GM Part No. 1052884
-
1 pint,
-
1 quart, or equivalent)

What would be the equivalent to this and if its in there what would mix with it?

Do they recommend ATF in these systems and if so can you mix it with whats already in there?

No more ATF - those days are history. Go your local parts store and buy, surprise .................. power steering fluid.

Did some more extensive googling and came up with older threads on these boards that recommend Synpower or Prestone... I guess i will turkey baster it with whichever one of those i can find.

Originally Posted By: default
GM power steering systems aren't exactly picky, ATF or "Power Steering Fluid" will work fine.

I thought mixing ATF and PS fluid was a bad idea? I went with regular PS fluid (Napa) in the Pontiac. Resolved a noisy PS pump at startup. PO probably skipped maintenance because of the reservoir location - behind the engine 1/2 way down.
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: sciphi
It won't matter for this application. I used both on my old Buick LeSabre. MaxLife ATF was the best fluid I used in the system.

+1 to this. PSF is very close to an ATF without some of the friction-modifers that are needed for the clutch-packs and (all things equal) would be a better choice. That said, I'm not in the habit of stocking a PSF over and above MaxLife ATF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back