Fram XG3600 8K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
But that's exactly what he said he's doing ... 2 OCIs per Ultra.
wink.gif

I know. But it makes more sense, to me anyway, to just buy and install a new filter every OCI.
http://www.drivenracingoil.com/dro/synthetic-mistakes

But what #2 fails to realize in the link you provided is that if you use full synthetic oil with a good oil filter then that oil will remain clean over the entire OCI. There are many members here that have done UOA on synthetic oils that show they do very well with 10K+ OCIs. I'd have no problem running a full synthetic oil with a good long OCI filter advertised for 10K+ mile FCIs.

I would too. But the point is, change the filter.
If you were to have a kidney dialysis done would you want to go behind a patient that just had their dialysis done on the same machine you were about to be hooked up to, without cleaning it first or changing the filter? I mean, this is your lifes blood we are talking about, just like your engines oil is its life blood.
smile.gif

If you were to have a kidney dialysis done would you want to go behind a patient that just had their dialysis done on the same machine you were about to be hooked up to, without cleaning it first or changing the filter?

Ewwwwwww!
sick.gif

If you were to have a kidney dialysis done would you want to go behind a patient that just had their dialysis done on the same machine you were about to be hooked up to, without cleaning it first or changing the filter? I mean, this is your lifes blood we are talking about, just like your engines oil is its life blood.
smile.gif

Sure ... if the manufacturer of the dialysis machine said it could do 2 patients in a row.
wink.gif

smile.gif

Sure ... if the manufacturer of the dialysis machine said it could do 2 patients in a row.
wink.gif

If the machine was known to be more efficient at cleaning for the second patient, would you want to be the first patient?

BOF-

I would be careful applying racing engine advice to OEM environment.

Originally Posted By: Coprolite

smile.gif

wink.gif

If the machine was known to be more efficient at cleaning for the second patient, would you want to be the first patient?

BOF-

I would be careful applying racing engine advice to OEM environment.

I was using #2 as a reference point as to change the oil filter at each OCI!
I guess I should just give up on suggesting to use a new filter at each OCI.
grin.gif

I know I will.
thumbsup2.gif

You can change the filter every 100 miles if you want to, and it makes you feel good. Fact is, if a filter is rated at 15K miles, then it's going to filter well for 15K miles in an engine that's in good shape, regardless of how many OCIs of the correct oil have occurred over that 15K miles.

Quote:
smile.gif

Poor analogy, an engine is far from a sterile environment as is a prime consideration for the human body.

An oil filter with a rated holding capacity and recommended oci gives some indication of how long a filter can be used for. That and an oil filter becomes more efficient with use.

As for the link, that is their opinion, Honda as an example has a different opinion and recommendation. So do many posters here, basing it on an oil filter's holding capacity and recommended oci. Like the Bosch D+ and Ultra.

I get that you don't ever want to use an oil for two oci's. That's your opinion and your right. But others with different opinion aren't necessarily wrong, and based on the filters specs, ie, holding capacity and recommended oc length, may be getting max use of a filter without any sacrifice of filtration or useful engine life.

Fwiw, I've only used a filter (BD+) twice once, but based on that, a filter's specs and cost I'm open to doing it again. Ultra seems like a good candidate for two oci's to 15k mi max.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
smile.gif

Poor analogy, an engine is far from a sterile environment as is a prime consideration for the human body.

An oil filter with a rated holding capacity and recommended oci gives some indication of how long a filter can be used for. That and an oil filter becomes more efficient with use.

As for the link, that is their opinion, Honda as an example has a different opinion and recommendation. So do many posters here, basing it on an oil filter's holding capacity and recommended oci. Like the Bosch D+ and Ultra.

I get that you don't ever want to use an oil for two oci's. That's your opinion and your right. But others with different opinion aren't necessarily wrong, and based on the filters specs, ie, holding capacity and recommended oc length, may be getting max use of a filter without any sacrifice of filtration or useful engine life.

Fwiw, I've only used a filter (BD+) twice once, but based on that and a filter's specs and cost I'm open to doing it again. Ultra seems like a good candidate for two oci's to 15k mi max.

To each his own. A new filter at every OCI is for me. If others want to use their's twice, that's their own right. This is America; land of the FREE!
34.gif

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
I've had the P1 on and off of my truck three times now. Tempting fate, I suppose, but I have to run this filter out to 15k for a test.

How do you run a test on oil filter ? You do UOA with same oil in use at 5k, 10k then 15k to see how much shed metals at each interval ?

You can change the filter every 100 miles if you want to, and it makes you feel good. Fact is, if a filter is rated at 15K miles, then it's going to filter well for 15K miles in an engine that's in good shape, regardless of how many OCIs of the correct oil have occurred over that 15K miles.

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^is realy the point. Well said ZeeOSix.

The Ultra is built for 15K...and doing two 7500K would be the same as leaving it on for one 15K interval. In addition....on the 2nd OCI...your adding fresh clean synthetic oil...your not just filtering some dirty oil. The ULTRA is a winner IMO.

It doesn't matter how long you run the filter. What is key here is that the Fram Ultra is awesome, especially for $8.97 at Wally or even at $9.99 at AAP. I'm sold on the XG8A for my XJ, and yes, I will change mine every oil change, not for lack of confidence in it's durability, but because I want my clean oil to start with a clean filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: salv
It doesn't matter how long you run the filter. What is key here is that the Fram Ultra is awesome, especially for $8.97 at Wally or even at $9.99 at AAP. I'm sold on the XG8A for my XJ, and yes, I will change mine every oil change, not for lack of confidence in it's durability, but because I want my clean oil to start with a clean filter.

^^^^^^^^^^THIS!!!!!!!!! Is MY point! Well said salv! ^^^^^^^^^^

I agree, the FU is a great oil filter, from everything I have read about it. And, like "salv" stated, I too want my clean oil to start with a clean filter!
34.gif

Salv, is it really $8.97 at your Walmart? For some reason, mine is trying to sell old XG (Xtended) and Tough Guards for 8.97 while the Ultra is only 9.63

The sub $9 ones would make sense for doing a single OCI within the rating, but if one wanted to double up, the Ultra would be about half price.

I have no horse in this, as I have a few years of PureOnes to work through before doing any doubles on Ultra. The first step is figuring out how long I should run my OCI and how good is my IOLM. And yes, Blue, I will be changing my filter with each oil change and even cutting them open for the people who want to judge the PL22500 vs FL-500S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back