WRX going to need new tires!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be fine this summer (hopefully this storm is not to bad on Monday) but come next winter, I'm going to need to buy new tires for the Subaru.

It comes with a nice set of summer Dunlops. Not the greatest tire for the northeast. Even with AWD!

4rsRauv.jpg

I'm going to probably pick up a set of ultra high performance all season Conti's.

xHf3rMS.png

DWS is a great option. A little soft compared to other ultra high-performance tires, but makes up for it with everything else!

DWS is quite popular and well-rated. But do your due diligence and check out other tire tests on Tire Rack's website.

If you already have the Dunlops for Spring, Summer, Fall, then why not get dedicated winter tires for winter? DWS are good tires, but they're nowhere near as good as dedicated winter tires when it comes to the white stuff or ice.

Around here, during winter, I actually prefer driving my RWD BWM with winter tires than my wife's AWD C300 with DWS.

I agree with Pete, save the Dunlops for warm weather and buy yourself a set of winter tires for the Subie.

Originally Posted By: Brenden
I agree with Pete, save the Dunlops for warm weather and buy yourself a set of winter tires for the Subie.

+1

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
If you already have the Dunlops for Spring, Summer, Fall, then why not get dedicated winter tires for winter? DWS are good tires, but they're nowhere near as good as dedicated winter tires when it comes to the white stuff or ice.

Around here, during winter, I actually prefer driving my RWD BWM with winter tires than my wife's AWD C300 with DWS.

Ehhhhh. . .

I just really don't feel dedicated snow tires are needed for my area.

Got it. Just a word of caution: DWS feel a bit mushy due to softer sidewalls. Going from those summer Dunlops to DWS, it'll certainly be noticeable. Alas, that's the price you pay for having better winter capabilities.

Not to mention wet roads in the spring, summer, and fall, when all-season tires simply -do- not- -stop- as well as non-all-season tires do.

Originally Posted By: GC4lunch

Not to mention wet roads in the spring, summer, and fall, when all-season tires simply -do- not- -stop- as well as non-all-season tires do.

It's got AWD. It can do anything with sub-par tires ... even stop
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: GC4lunch

I have had and used all season tires that were rated no where near as well as the Conti's and I never experienced any issues with wet traction.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp

Ehhhhh. . .

I just really don't feel dedicated snow tires are needed for my area.

All it takes is one more Nemo for you to regret those words. It's all about what's best for you, though. If you have the extra cash AND storage space, then I'd highly recommend you buy an additional set of beater wheels with dedicated snow tires. You'll be amazed at how well your Scubie will go and stop.

Just a couple of things to add:

1. Every vehicle is All-wheel stop: with summers (or even UHP AS) tires installed, stopping could be dangerous in anything more than a small amount of snow.

2. AWD does not mean you won't get stuck: with UHP AS tires installed, my STI definitely had some trouble on inclines, and I've got some extra LSD's compared to you. In that case, a Civic with snow tires would have out-performed me!

3. TIRES, TIRES, TIRES: if you want to have the maximum fun in each season (safely), then buy the appropriate tire. Unless I can continue to pick up good second-hand summer tires, I don't plan to pay new-money for them. Summer tires ARE more fun in the twisties, but man do they wear fast. I'll definitely be swapping out for AS tires if I have to pay so much. The added benefit may be a better ride and less noise.

There are always trade-offs, so figure out what you want, what you need, and then what you can afford.

Last edited:
I have had and used all season tires that were rated no where near as well as the Conti's and I never experienced any issues with wet traction.

Was it on a car with 265HP?

Krzys

Originally Posted By: krzyss

Was it on a car with 265HP?

Krzys

Lincoln LS with RWD

Dedicated winter only way to go for overall safety. Can you get buy without, sure many do. I have a couple times where I see the guy behind me at 40 mph with the
eek.gif
face behind me not stopping just sliding on snow. I moved out of the way (snows let you do that)and then watched them hit the car in front of me. As a volunteer fireman also been to MANY accidents especially in winter with the AWD owners that didn't need better tires. T-bone a family with kids in the back and your life takes a different attitude.

I look at it from a different perspective. My insurance deductible is $1000. If I can avoid hitting somebody because I can start, stop, or move out of the way they pay for themselves. Stick my family in the car and there is no cost that can't be justified. Other people have higher priorities, nice rims, parties, latest fashion I like my family to be safe.

Spend some time watching all the winter videos at TireRack. They test all seasons, summers, winters in snow and ice. Pay attenetion to stopping distance at 30 mph (when do you actually drive that).

I have used high performance summer kuhmo tires all year on 17x7 rims with a 170whp GSR swapped civic before and I would make it through snow that should have left you stranded. You may not NEED dedicated winter tires, but they really help... A set of steelies and winter tires are $800, your insurance deductible is likely 500+ dollars, if they save you from one accident they have nearly paid themselves off. Not to mention time missed from work for injuries and rental cars/towing adds up really fast, if you have the money, buy them.

Last edited by a moderator:
this is a lightweight car with gobs on juice. my co-worker just bashed in his wrx into a curb due to wet curve with perhaps a layer of ice under it. he *claims* to have been going slowly.

I've driven this car--- it's high strung, and it's got wide rubber for such a little car.

Despite AWD, I think it will be a little sketchy in the snow. At the minimum, all-seasons would get my vote.

Do you plan on auto-x or rally-x? big movement to use winter tires for that, softer rubber, more grip (short lifespan).

agree with above comment.... AWD does not help you stop. And considering that the wrx may do a rear wheel bias, it may be a little unpredictable in the snow. this is not a true snow car, it's a performance machine. different animals.

be careful out there...

my ws-70s on steelies were 650$ before the triple rebate deal.

final price IIRC was around 500$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back