05 Pathfinder 100K - Drop pan or flush tranny?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a tranny service at 60K and now at 100K, I'd like to drop the pan and have the filter changed. I've heard that flushing a transmission at 100K for the first time could destroy the tranny. What say you, forum?

Nonsense.

The machines are passive. Your own trans pump does the work and fluid follows the exact same pathways as it does when you drive.

Just be careful what additives and fluids you use. And remember a "flush" is no substitute for dropping the pan and changing the filter occasionally!

I don't think youir tranny has a filter but rather a screen. AT least my 2007 Frontier has a screen and I think the tranny and engine are the same. I drain out about 4 qts of tranny fluid every sprin and replace with Matic S I get from the dealer. I had the pan down at 40,000 miles and the screen cleaned at the dealer. My fluid is always a very nice pink color.

IMHO flush is an unnecessary expense. Pan drop and refill every 30k, with filter change (if you have one)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kuato
IMHO flush is an unnecessary expense. Pan drop and refill every 30k, with filter change (if you have one)

This is what I do ^

My dads 01 S/C Frontier has a different transmission , but the same filter design. His truck has north of 250k. Pan has never been dropped ,but it has had frequent drain ,and fills since new.

Doesnt the 05+ have a issue with the tranny and antifreeze mixing? Did you get that dealt with before it happens.

I got my truck flushed(wrong term i guess) at 165k for the first time and again at 190k with no issues.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bryankkkk
Doesnt the 05+ have a issue with the tranny and antifreeze mixing? Did you get that dealt with before it happens.

I got my truck flushed(wrong term i guess) at 165k for the first time and again at 190k with no issues.

There are four major issues plaguing the 05 Pathfinder:

#1 - Radiator cracks/leaks into the tranny - (recall up to 80K now...lawsuit in the works)
#2 - Fuel sending unit goes bad - recall (mine went out and got a good faith replacement for 1/2 cost...after recall got full reimbursement)
#3 - Cats and 02 sensor failure - (I'm getting a P0340 code every few months, but refuse to pay 4K+ to replace cats at 100K)
#4 - U-joints go out - I had my driveshaft rebuilt.

Check and see if the tranny pan has a drain bolt, I know my 2003 does.

Mine takes about 5 liters for refill.

Any good DexronIII or DexronVI type fluid should work.

If it is a 4WD vehicle also change the transfer case fluid while you are at it. Use only DexronIII in the transfer case.

Last edited:
Dex 3 is fine for pre 05. Do NOT use Dex 3 in a 05 or newer. Nissan fluid is the way to go. There are a couple of over the counter offerings some people have had luck with.

Amsoil is also said to work good in them. If it were mine I would use Nissan Matic S.

Quote:
Amsoil is also said to work good in them.

Any of the Amsoil oils will work but the ATF Synthetic Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid and the ATD Torque-Drive® Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid are basically DexIII's.

The ATL Synthetic Fuel Efficient Automatic Transmission Fluid is the DexronVI equivalent.

From Nissan:

Quote:
OEM Nissan / Infiniti MATIC J / S Auto Trans Fluid
OEM Nissan / Infiniti Matic J Automatic Transmission Fluid. 1Qrt

NOTE: Nissan changed the name of this fluid during production. THIS MATIC D fluid is the same as MATIC S. Both names are interchangeable for the exact same oil. And you can mix both Matic J and S since they are the same oil with no issues.

(Please read your owner's manual for oil and fluid recomendations)

Model # 999MP-MTJ00P

I owned a maxima before and when I dropped the pan there was some gunk in the magnets no alarming.

I would not drop the pan as there is a risk of cross threading the bolts. BTW you have a screen there is no point changing it -- it is worthless.

Keep doing drain and fills or return line flush, dropping the pan is quite unnecessary. IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back