LubeGard Platinum for extreme duty vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm responsible for a small fleet of five GM trucks and vans, two of which see extreme duty - a '12 Silverado 2500 HD and a '13 Sierra 2500 HD. Both are crew cabs equipped with the Z71 package. This is how the Silverado is equipped, the Sierra has an open bed carrying a ton of stuff with all sorts of heavy spotlights on the roof:

6dzn8n.jpg

These are animal control vehicles, and I cannot emphasize enough how extreme the conditions are that they operate in. They operate in very fine, soft sand in the desert running in low range most of the time. I run synthetic everything. Transmission fluid temperatures hit over 250 Fahrenheit and it already smells burnt on the Sierra with 10,000 miles on it.

I used to be able to get Motul Multi-ATF, but these units call for Dexron-VI and this is only a Dexron-III based fluid. Their actual Dexron-VI approved fluid is not available, and I'm running ACDelco or Kendall Dexron-VI. The fluid changes are so regular, it is ridiculous, yet at the same time required.

The initial plan is to install much larger ATF coolers, which I'm looking into at the moment. But the other question is, how much of a difference would LubeGard Platinum realistically make under these circumstances?

IMO you can't go wrong with any of the products offered by the LG people. I currently run LG red in my 2000 Century and 08 Liberty. My only question is doesn't this application call for LG Red?

Nice looking trucks! These conditions of yours seem to really test these trucks from what youre saying, i havent really found too much evidence on this stuff but i will tell you that many of the top transmission repair shops ive dealt with around my area throw in LG in almost every transmission they service or rebuild..it wouldn't hurt anything to try, so id say go for it

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
I was under the impression that Platinum was a step over Red?
confused.gif

You could be right, although I think their products are fluid specific. I'd double check to be sure. Trav suggested LG red for a Dexron-VI Dexron-III application a while back for my GM product.

Should've used FORD trucks...
wink.gif

nah just messing with ya. I'd feel confident using the LG stuff. But as much as I know its forbidden around here, the nice and thick Lucas ATF additive may work well here, I've used that and only that before with amazing results in both new and old transmissions FWIW...

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
Should've used FORD trucks...
wink.gif

nah just messing with ya. I'd feel confident using the LG stuff. But as much as I know its forbidden around here, the nice and thick Lucas ATF additive may work well here, I've used that and only that before with amazing results in both new and old transmissions FWIW...

Forget Lucas.

LG Platinum is a mix of LG Black (friction modifier) and LG Red. Platinum is used to morph Dex III into a highly friction modified ATF and give it a dose of Red to enhance the additive pack. Your using dex VI, have no reason for a friction modifier so I would go with straight LG Red. Straight LG Red will give you a more potent dose of what you actually need, the Red adds for lowering heat, etc.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
I was under the impression that Platinum was a step over Red?
confused.gif

That was my thought as well, based off the descriptions on Lubegard's website. Among all the other things Platinum does, it

"•Dramatically reduces friction & wear on metal parts and internal components." and it contains the patented Synergol technology.

The description makes it sound like a better product.

So, say your transmission calls for regular Dex. III and doesn't need the friction modifying characteristics of Platinum, which is a best choice for a Dex. III trans.? Red or Platinum?

Operating 8 hours a day in 140 degree heat in low range with ATF temperatures of over 250 degrees is just a Tahiti vacation. Probably why the OLM calls for an oil change at ~1,700 miles on average.

Originally Posted By: RiceCake
This is "extreme" duty how?

Your kidding right?
It doesn't get much more extreme! 140f+ ambient temps, little shade and ultra fine sand all over on top of that clogging up everything.
If that is extreme then please give us an example of it.

lubegard platinum is perfect for those working trucks. and it is a step above red...has a friction mod in it..if you want to be sure go to lubegard web site and look at their application guide....use red line tranny fluid too....

Last edited:
Lubeguard hasn't updated the guide to cover most things past 2010 but red & platinum are still on the side when using OEM fluid.

You are usually only supposed to use platinum when not using an OEM fluid. So I'd just stick with red for now.

LG additives should fortify the additives that are getting broken down, but won't address the wastes left in the fluid from broken-down additives. Also won't do anything to address any shearing that may be occurring. If it were me, I wouldn't feel comfortable extending the use of the oil because of an additive, regardless of how well-reputed it is. It also will not address high silicates from the nasty air quality.

1. Transfer case is seeing high service if you're constantly in Low range. I'd be on that before the trans as it isn't cooled. Same with the diffs.

2. breather hoses for trans, diffs. where are they routed? sandy conditions = dusty with silicates = bad. Are they exposed? any sort of filtration on them?

3. I can't see the pics but it sounds cool.

4. In lieu of additives, what about moving to Amsoil low viscosity ATF-- their fluid for Dex VI applications. SevereGear for the diffs. The t-case will depend on which unit you have.

Really interesting application and environment!

Mike

Lubegard makes a product called:
Heavy Duty Power Transfer Protectant.
"Enhances all Automatic Tranny's, power steering and Hydraulic fluids"
the barcode # is: 083137451426
p/n: 45142

Dunno if this is something that might be more beneficial to you for your needs vs. LG Red

The transfer case on one unit calls for Dexron-VI. Can I add LubeGard to it?

Thanks for everyone's input. The ATF, TCF and differential fluids are replaced every third oil change (roughly 5,000 miles). I'll have to double check the breather hoses though.

Fluid wise, unfortunately the only two fluids available to me are ACDelco and Kendall Dexron-VI. I can only wish Amsoil, Redline or Motul was available. I'll check to see if the Heavy Duty Power Transfer Protectant is available locally.

Thanks again!

For what it's worth, I added Lubegard Red and Platinum to my '93 Ford Taurus AXOD metric about a month ago, (aside from a few other things). After adding the red, I noticed the car runs cooler than it used to run. For years, the temp guage ran between half and three quarters, (constant back and forth). Now I run between one quarter to one half and rarely, (always at a long stop light) do I go above one half. I can't be 100 percent sure, but I do find it telling that Lubegard red advertises a reduction in heat for transmissions and this started happening after I added the Lubegard red.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back