New Battery in the CR-V

Status
Not open for further replies.
The CR-V's starter was cranking slower than I thought it should, and sometimes I'd get weird behavior when turning the key, so I figured a new battery was in order. It had the original battery, so it's 3.5 years old...probably moving toward time for replacement anyway.

After checking with everybody locally who sold batteries, I bought the cheapest one AND the one unbeaten in the warranty department: a Duracell (East Penn) from Sam's Club. It was only 65 bucks (next closest was $71 Everstart from Walmart, then $100 for batteries from Advance, AutoZone, etc). And it had the same 3 year free/8 year prorated warranty that the $100 batteries did. The Everstart from Walmart was not the "Maxx" (no Maxx in Group 51R), and had a 2 year free/7 year prorated warranty.

From what I can tell, East Penn batteries seem to be at least competitive with others, and for the price...we'll see how it does.

Originally Posted By: dparm
East Penn is a major manufacturer, you'll be totally satisfied.

+1

They carry Duracell now?

I didn't know Honda switched to 51R from 24F for the CR-V. How come?
I used a Costco battery for mine after 4 years, can't beat the warranty for $65.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch

I don't know, but they've used the 51R for a while. The previous generation CR-V also used a 51R. Did the very first generation CR-V use a 24F?

This one has 625 CA, so that should be plenty. I couldn't beat the price anywhere. East Penn signed a deal with Duracell (or vice versa probably) to put the Duracell name on automotive batteries a few years ago. I just don't have any personal experience with East Penn batteries; good to know they're solid products.

I used a Costco battery for mine after 4 years, can't beat the warranty for $65.

My OE battery (Motorcraft) was replaced after eight years....but the Ford Dealership wanted $109 for a replacement.

Decided to listen to Consumers Reports recommendation....and purchase their top-rated Kirkland brand from Costco....for $68.
The price was right....and the warranty (3 years full...and a 96 mo. pro-rated) was great.

It seems like you got a good deal though. Hope it works out well for you.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

I don't know, but they've used the 51R for a while. The previous generation CR-V also used a 51R.

I have the 2nd gen 2005, it uses a 24F.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

I don't know, but they've used the 51R for a while. The previous generation CR-V also used a 51R.

I have the 2nd gen 2005, it uses a 24F.

That's weird; if I look a 2005 CR-V up on AutoZone, Advance, PepBoys, etc., they all show a 51R.

Did you buy your CR-V new? If not, maybe someone switched it out for a 24F before you bought it?

I'll have to see if the physical battery box is large enough to fit a 24. I'd much rather have a 24, if it'll fit. My Acura has a 24, and the 24 has about 50% more cranking amps.

Update, after 1.5 years' of use...the engine still cranks like the day I bought the battery. I've been satisfied with it so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back