Oil in 2003 BMW 320i...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the oil in my son's 2003 BMW 320i today. Based on my experience with my BMW 740il, I went with GC 0W30. AFTER I changed the oil, I noticed in the manual that 5w30 or 5w40 is recommended. I know GC is thicker than many 5w30 oils at operating temps but I'm just wondering if it's OK based on mfg's recommended 5w30 or 5w40. It's definitely thinner than a 5w40. I live north of Toronto, so we don't get the extreme heat of the southern US. I chose GC because I put over 300,000 km on my 7-Series with no oil related issues (or consumption) and I believe it's a true PAO. Appreciate any comments. Thanks.

It calls for an LL-01 oil, of which GC should be one, so you were fine in choosing it.

Another (readily available) choice is Mobil 1 0w-40.

It isn't the GRADE that is important. It is whether it carries the necessary BMW approval for the application.

Here you go:

Castrol SYNTEC 0W-30 European Formula is engineered to meet the Mercedes Benz 229.5 specification. The 0W-30 viscosity grade is ideal for winter conditions where low temperature pumpability is required. A unique, low-temperature formulation provides exceptional pumpability in cold weather and allows for unaided engine starts down to -40°F. Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer's warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended. Exceeds European ACEA: A3, B3, B4; VW 502 00, 505 00, 503 01; MB 229.1, 229.3, 229.5; BMW LL-01; GM-LL-A-025, GM-LL-B-025 and the engine protection requirements of ILSAC GF-3 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils."

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/genericarticle.do?categoryId=8320010&contentId=6008016

It is highly recommended that you use an oil which meets BMW Spec LL-01 (eg. GC or M1 Euro) even when out of warranty.

Having said that, if you do not plan on sticking to your OLM, you can get away with regular OCI (5K km) in your BMW 320i (2.2L Engine not available in USA) with any of the top of the line 30 grade synthetic oils.

I noticed an increase in oil consumption in a vehicle fitted with a BMW Diesel engine many years ago when I ran 0w40, a mate also had oil consumption increase when using 0w40 in a '95 520i, a 24V model with no nikosil (spelling?) issues.

Both vehicles oil consumption went back to previous levels when a 5w40 oil was used.

Engines ran fine but I would not be surprised if the oil consumption increased slightly.

Why the oil consumption increased I don't really know, perhaps it was due to the oil being a little thinner during initial warm up?

Originally Posted By: bigjl
I noticed an increase in oil consumption in a vehicle fitted with a BMW Diesel engine many years ago when I ran 0w40, a mate also had oil consumption increase when using 0w40 in a '95 520i, a 24V model with no nikosil (spelling?) issues...

bigjl, 2.2L engine is not a diesel engine! rather a peppy fuel efficient gasoline engine, sold only in Canada in N.A!

M1 Euro, Castrol GC & BC in NA are only CF rated.

Diesel engines here call for ACEA C3 or API CJ4 or Dexos2 spec? were you and your friend using 0W40 oil which met any of those specs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back