Can I use brake grease in place of anti-seize??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to buy a small tub of CRC synthetic brake grease for a caliper job a month ago.

Now that I have no other caliper pins that need to be lubed, is it possible to use this synthetic grease on spark plugs, EGR pipes, etc.

I don't see why not, right??

I don't think I would. I have the same tub, by the way...but to me, anti seize has few lubricating properties, it's mostly the aluminum, or nickel powder...it's there to prevent corrosion and threads sticking together while the grease, is, well, grease ... And it lubricates the threads...

@ OP: I wouldn't dare using brake synthetic grease (most likely contains silicone in it) as a substitution of high-temp antiseize grease, citing that emissions control systems such as catalytic converter, O2 sensor(s), are very sensitive to silicone of all sorts (e.g. elevated silicon reading in UOA after replacing VC gaskets and dabs of RTV used?)

Silicone will kill your cat and O2 sensors in very short order.

Also: I fall under the camp RE: not using antiseize in spark plug threads, citing lead (unless you can assure me you have antiseize that is lead-free) in it, when gets into combustion chamber, will burn and damage your cat converter.

In a nutshell: use the proper kind of lubricant destined for specific use, and don't play scientist if you aren't sure.

Q.

Yea from what I have read anti seize does just that because the metal in it becomes the sacrificial metal as opposed to corrosion on the bolt or piece it's going thru.

I regularly use whatever grease I have on hand as "antisieze" in lower demand applications (eg not high temp or extreme conditions). Might not work AS WELL as true anti seize but for 99% of fasteners most any grease is plenty to prevent problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back