5W30 instead of 0W20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if I would run into any trouble running 5W30 in my wife's 2012 corolla instead of the 0W20 that it it is spec'd for.

Reason: Im at 17K, dealer changes again at 20K, current oil has gone 7K, and id like to time it so that the 20K change is mid summer.

Thanks!

Your car will run fine, won't blow up until 500K, just kidding...
Yes, fine, but is it optimal? most likely not, so why you want to use 5W30?

Couple things.

1) Why not use 0w20? It is now available inexpensively at WM in the 5-qt jugs.

2) The free Toyotacare services must be redeemed within a certain window. Since the free services expire at 25k, I think they must be redeemed within 1k of that, but I would check with the dealer to confirm.

3) Toyota 0w20 lasts 10k under most conditions. It lasted 10k in my 1.8 under mostly highway driving.

If Toyota say's 0w20 then stick with it. If you wan't to Move up a weight Then 5w20. last thing you want is to void Your Warranty because you wanted to switch to 5w30. It won't harm the engine but it will kill your gas millage because your car is program to run on 20W Oil. I learned Over the year's You never have to Switch Up Weight's on Oil's If you Take care of them and preform the proper maintenance. My Tundra is Almost at 200K and I Run 5w30 All year Around and not a Single Drop of Oil Or never needing to top off!:)

Yeah id only use 5w20 if 0w20 wasnt available or you want to use a stout oil lile pennzoil ultra , that only comes in 5w20

Originally Posted By: JohnathanDm
It won't harm the engine but it will kill your gas millage because your car is program to run on 20W Oil.

It will kill your gas mileage? Maybe a 1/10th of a MPG or less but nothing you would be able to really see at the pump.

Won't hurt a thing. I'll bet that identical Corollas that wind up being exported to Australia are specified to run Xw-30 or thicker.

The mileage impact will be some tiny fraction of one MPG that will be more than offset by the warmer weather of Spring.

Originally Posted By: Geonerd
Won't hurt a thing. I'll bet that identical Corollas that wind up being exported to Australia are specified to run Xw-30 or thicker.

The mileage impact will be some tiny fraction of one MPG that will be more than offset by the warmer weather of Spring.

Without turning this into a full blown 20wt vs 30wt debate, I don't see the need to use a heavier oil - especially at this mileage.

Besides, he's still under warranty. Staying with 0w20 would make things a lot easier should he have an oil-related failure.

It will kill your gas mileage? Maybe a 1/10th of a MPG or less but nothing you would be able to really see at the pump. [/quote]

in the world we live in every penny counts! haha I may have Over Exaggerated gas Millage but if you keep up with your Millage you will Notice it. These VVTI Engine's are Design to use 20W In Mind.

Wont hurt a thing... wont affect mileage in any calculable way.

I run pyb 5w30 in the wife's 2010 corolla year round. Gets a hand calculated 42mpg hwy when I drive it.

You people take the lower weights WAY too seriously. My 1.5 vvti saw 20w50 on the regular...still was running at 230k when I totaled it by hitting a vice in the road.

Wait until you get to change the oil in that 1.8...[censored] filter housing ever. Literally considering selling the wife's car and getting her a small sub because I hate the China made housing that badly.

Originally Posted By: SuzukiGoat

Wait until you get to change the oil in that 1.8...[censored] filter housing ever. Literally considering selling the wife's car and getting her a small sub because I hate the China made housing that badly.

I find it easier than a spin-on. The cap has slots in it so once you rotate it to the proper position, all of the oil drains out in a steady stream. There is absolutely no mess at all.

If you use the correct 64mm aluminum cap wrench for removal, and re-torque to 18 ft-lbs at install, you will not have any problems. At least that has been my experience with the Prius 1.8.

Originally Posted By: FirstNissan
I was wondering if I would run into any trouble running 5W30 in my wife's 2012 corolla instead of the 0W20 that it it is spec'd for.

Reason: Im at 17K, dealer changes again at 20K, current oil has gone 7K, and id like to time it so that the 20K change is mid summer.

Thanks!

According to popular lore, the 5W-30 will be a something W 20 by that stage, so you'll be good to go.

The only issue I have with using 0W-20 is unless you want to use M1, which is readily avail at all Walmarts, theres not much choice in other brands. 5W-20 is, however, readily avail in a wide variety of brands at Walmarts.

I just did my first change on the Accord with 5W-20 Mobil Super 5K and will change it again in 5K or less with PP syn 0W-20 which I finally found at a store not near me.

Not that it matters I suppose, but the Mobil Super was a bright clear light amber colored oil....very pretty!! I remember the old Mobil 5000 was similar.

PP 0W-20 has popped up at virtually all the Walmarts near me. I had to look for it though. It was tucked away near the floor in one or two of them.

Unfortunately, these new 20 weight oils being carried by Walmart seem to be putting pressure to clear out the Pennzoil Ultra.

I would use 0w20. although i dont believe there are any significant differences in the engines. my 07 rolla recommends 5w30. i prefer the 5w30 in mine based on how the engine runs (i use 0w20 during winter). if i were you id stick with 0w20, unless you dont like how it runs on it. like others have said, its reasonable and easy to find. 5w30 shouldnt cause any issues however if ur in a bind. no noticeable difference in mileage has been my experience over the years.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
I would use 0w20. although i dont believe there are any significant differences in the engines. my 07 rolla recommends 5w30. i prefer the 5w30 in mine based on how the engine runs (i use 0w20 during winter). if i were you id stick with 0w20, unless you dont like how it runs on it. like others have said, its reasonable and easy to find. 5w30 shouldnt cause any issues however if ur in a bind. no noticeable difference in mileage has been my experience over the years.

+1. I like how my high mileage Honda 2.4L "feels" and "sounds" on a 10w30. There really is no need for anything higher than the OEM 20 grade, unless you drive really fast, and have over 150k miles or so.

0-20 performs great for me. What do you hope to gain with 5-30? Even in summer temps M1 0-20 works great in my Fords.

In a 2012 he won't gain anything on a 5w30, but he may notice some sublte differences. In a new, tight engine I would expect a slight decreae in power and mpg, but maybe not. It really depends. If the car was high mileage, I would suggest a 5w30.

My Scion XB with the 2AZ-FE calls for 5w20 or 0w20. I decided to give 5w30 a try in it as thats what it calls for in all other parts of the world. I'm currently running my first fill of 5w30 (QSUD). My goal was to try and quiet the valvetrain noise somewhat. While it hasn't really seemed to do that, it does seem to run smoother on it. I think I'm going try few other synthetic and conventional oils yet in the 5w20 viscosity before I decide to stick with 5w20 or 5w30. I picked QSUD because everyone seems to notice a difference in noise reduction with it, unfortunately that hasn't been my case. Honestly though, I would stick with what ever the car manufacturer recommends while under warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back