are chrysler 2.7 as bad as the internet portrays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Dakota1820
Originally Posted By: daves87rs
No way....

Very detailed and informative lol

But with your vehicle luck, playing Russian Roulette with five chambers loaded would be just about as safe...

Haha! Speak of the devil.

1st install of the day? 2007 Dodge Charger on 22"s with a 2.7 V6

Fill hole looks nice and clean. Especially for a 120,717 mile 2.7.

Wonder who's bright idea at Chrysler it was to run an emission hose right over the top of the fill hole?
33.gif

Got pics but my phone and photobucket are not cooperating this morning.

Still, just the thought of doing that water pump makes me not want one at all. Even with as much room as a tiny 2.7 has in an engine compartment that can accomodate a Hemi V8.

Working on one right now. 04 Intrepid 2.7 Not too bad. waterpump looks like the main issue why they sludge. the coolant can get into the oil via the waterpump. It weeps, goes undetected for a while then poof you got sludge. people think its the HG. Nope, waterpump. takes some hand skill to contort but its not that bad to fix. Engine runs really smooth and quiet. Don't like the battery location though.

Would not be scared of a 2.7 under my care.
Have had a few friends with 2.7 cars over the years and do not have any horror stories.

When they are running properly (which, for people like us would be most of the time) they are a nice smooth and quiet engine. It is a good match for a Sebring or Stratus, but not so much in a larger car.

Originally Posted By: GearheadTool
May I interject: How is the 3.5L Chrysler V6 found in 1994-1996 New Yorkers, LHS, etc.

Codes "EGE", "EGJ," etc

I am the 3rd owner of a 1996 Chrysler Concorde with the 3.5L V6. It was previously owned by my sister-in-law & her mother. I got the car with 99K approx 6 yrs ago and it now has +183K. I've replaced one water pump & the timing belt but both were preventative maintenance...not a problem occurrence. I've run mostly NAPA 5w30 dino in it for 5K OCI with no problems. I can't complain.

Just bought a 2001 Intrepid with a 2.7 for 250 bucks(203,000 Miles). Oil is milky. Engine makes no sounds yet and runs great. Gonna be my field beater. Probably wont be anything like the 97 i got with the 3.3 lol.

I have a friend with a 2006 Charger 3.5 (don't know if this is the same engine as the earlier 3.5's) and he had something go bad in the rocker assembly. Cost 1200 bucks at the Dodge dealer to fix. It's supposedly a common problem. Other than that, the 3.5's are very good. I have also heard of the internet horror stories with the 2.7, but have never known anyone who owned one.

We had a Magnum with the 2.7 but sold it quickly with 30k miles. Never a peep, but hardly an endurance test.

Despite what you heard the 3.5 motors have excellent service records with a very low rate of failure. Your friends isolated incident was hardly indicative of the engine family's durability.

From experience I have to agree that this can be an expensive engine. The water pump died on my wifes 04 Sebring, 2.7. After doing a google search on how to replace, I ended up taking it to a shop for a thousand dollar job. Not only replaced the pump, but the timing chain and all the little do-dads that go with it. However, took it on a 150 mile trip last weekend with the wife and it ran great, rode nice and we had the top down the whole time.

My 2002 stratus has 84K miles with no problem. Engine looks clean in the oil filler hole. Always use synthetic and change every 3 to 4K miles. But, the water pump is a design problem. I read the manuals instruction to replace it, will take a brave man to do it. Has lots of pep in the stratus.

friend of mine had a 99 intrepid it had 360000 kilometers on it. yes original engine and it was a 2.7 never rebuilt. At the end, the engine smoked like crazy, the last four years it would not pass emissions he was getting bogus etests somewhere. The rest of the car was finished from suspension to transmission. It the highest mile 2.7 i have ever witnessed. I guess he was real lucky.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
From experience I have to agree that this can be an expensive engine. The water pump died on my wifes 04 Sebring, 2.7. After doing a google search on how to replace, I ended up taking it to a shop for a thousand dollar job. Not only replaced the pump, but the timing chain and all the little do-dads that go with it. However, took it on a 150 mile trip last weekend with the wife and it ran great, rode nice and we had the top down the whole time.

I did that job to a 2.7L Sebring sedan once. It had about 80,000 miles. I had PTSD every time I saw a Chrysler Sebring for a month!

The engine had no major varnish or anything else. I think the car got oil changes every 3,000 miles to prevent bad things from happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back