Land Rover LR3 - Fighting the urge...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hattaresguy, if I remember, you are also a LR owner. A diesel Land Cruiser would be great, but I also wouldn't mind one of the East Coast Rover D90/D110 diesel conversions.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Sadly we can't get diesel Land Cruisers in this country like everywhere else.

Originally Posted By: eugenem
Depending on the area of the world you live in, owner meet-ups and excursions are common, although I would say these tend to be older vehicles.

Especially true these days.

Personally, I think things changed dramatically after the Disco II/second gen Range Rover. The LR3 and newer Ranges are far more paved road oriented than their predecessors. Though more capable than their competition, they are definitely trying to compete in the "Gucci truck" class (perfect description by hattaresguy).

I think the LR3 is a pretty neat vehicle. If you look at it as becoming part of the Land Rover community and all that comes along with that, it's fine. If this needs to be your daily ride and relatively trouble free, buy an Expedition or Tahoe or something like that.

My neighbors in my old hood tried to rely on a DiscoII as a daily driver, and were not LR enthusiasts. It had more than one ride on a rollback tow truck.

Originally Posted By: bigjl

Don't forget they hold on to value very well, a disadvantage when buying but a huge advantage when selling.

Land Rover products have never held their value very well on this side of the Atlantic, probably because they have a well earned reputation for being unreliable and expensive to own. Over here, you can buy a dead reliable inline six Cherokee or a very nice inline six or V-8 Grand Cherokee for very little money and end up with a really decent all weather all purpose vehicle with reasonable off-road capability in stock form.
Either Jeep would make a fine and reliable daily driver, so would be a good used car bet.
I saw a really nice late 'nineties Disco yesterday. You can buy a good Disco or older Range Rover here for less than you'd pay for a decent Subaru.
It's not that the Land Rovers aren't desirable, it's that there is so much trouble and expense involved in keeping them on the road, particularly as they age.
For the avid DIY owner, or one who can find an indie who really knows these vehicles, this might be a reasonable proposition.
For somebody who has zero mechanical savvy and has no idea who to entrust repairs to, a Land Rover is probably best avoided.
In the OP's case, if he really likes the look and has his eyes wide open, then why not?

Originally Posted By: eugenem
Hattaresguy, if I remember, you are also a LR owner. A diesel Land Cruiser would be great, but I also wouldn't mind one of the East Coast Rover D90/D110 diesel conversions.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Sadly we can't get diesel Land Cruisers in this country like everywhere else.

Nah I don't own one, I love them but I'll never own one because I don't want to deal with it. I would like to try to snag an older diesel G wagon, but those can be priced unrealistically and they get rusty as well.

Defenders are crazy cool, but at least in my area they are all priced like they are carved from solid gold. When you get down to it, a Wrangler is about the same really and can be bought on the cheap. Last Defender the local dealer had they wanted $50k for and it was a base vehicle, I can buy a loaded to the hilt two door Wrangler for what $30k maybe?

I'm not really a truck or SUV guy though, so I may be off here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Reddy45

Wimpy V6. An SUV of that size needs factory forced induction or a V8.

I dont think you actually drove an FJ Cruiser. I owned one for two years and it had PLENTY of power and acceleration.

As a Land Rover owner before there was a Land Rover North America (It was actually Range Rover North America, the name change was in 1994 when they imported the Discovery and the Defenders) I say, go for it!

I have bought all my vehicles new and there are 4 in my driveway at the moment, but I LOVE them. Yea, gas millage sucks. But if you're cruising on the highway, you can squeeze 18mpg out of them (and I'm talking about the old Buick 215 based engine!).

There isn't much in the way of differences when it comes to LR3 or LR4. So if you really want to update your LR3, LR4 lights are a direct fit.

Avoid the V6. It wasn't a bad engine, it actually gets WORSE fuel econ than the V8. Why? Because you end up flooring it all the time to get on the highway, pass someone, keep up wth traffic, etc. That any fuel savings is negated!

The Range Rover Sport uses the same engine and chassis. Technically, and I would love to, a supercharger should bolt right on! Find the parts on ebay a mechanic with the land Rover "Test Book" computer and your're good!.

Overall, I have NOT had many issues with mine, and I drive a 2000! The older it gets, the better it seems!

My mother has a newer vehicle, my sister one of the last "Disco 1s" and my father and I drive the Disco II.

Call me crazy, but i feel they have a personality, they are wonderful vehicles. And although part of me wants to upgrade to an LR3/LR4 (called Discovery 3/4 everywhere else in the world!), I love my 13 year old Disco II!

What I do miss is the simplicity of the Defender. I sold mine 7yrs ago. My wifew sometimes hated it (noisy, difficult to get into, etc) but at times, loved it as well. And unlike most girls, she can drive a stick! So I let her drive it once or twice.

Honestly, having owned more Land ROvers for longer than your average Rover owner... I say get it... JUST GET A HISTORY!

The new Jag/Rover V8s are great. Quality...well...maybe I'm brainwashed? but the quality has improved over the years. NO ONE has had a major issue. Personally, I think they are vehicles to keep. But you'll become attached to it anyway!

In my Disco 1, I used to drive off road. The 1st year (2000) that I owned this Discovery, I went off road a few times, but it's basically just stayed on the pavement!

Other than the Tires (moved to a more aggressive and slightly large size) it was STOCK. And I can show you with pictures of us (my friend and I) pulling Hummers (H1s) and Jeeps out of "situations."

When I was living in Maryland, Land Rover NA was in Lanham, MD. So knew some people at there and used their private off road course a bunch of times.

Anyway... I think you'll love your vehicle (provided it was treated/maintained properly before you).

But the days of people making Lucas & the Prince of Darkness and British wiring/electrics and build quality jokes are gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back