Defense DL3593A - Media Failure [cut-open]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going through my stash. First up is a perforated filter that I think came off the Subaru way back.

Defense DL3593A

Honeywell
Consumer Products Group
Danbury, CT 06810-5109
Made in USA

Imported by
Honeywell
Stratford, ON, N5A 6V4

http://imgur.com/a/jUl9F

9Hl4Yly.jpg

HDyyuH7h.jpg

mfAuA53h.jpg

RZyK3qTh.jpg

wbAk0reh.jpg

WehQjPoh.jpg

RsWTx4Ah.jpg

Ze7VN2Zh.jpg

Exh7J0Ch.jpg

Originally Posted By: nitehawk55
Metal looks very thin .

It's definitely fighting for the thin-is-in award amongst my filters. Has the Denso and Mahle beat by about 30% I'd say.

Originally Posted By: cp3
Any idea what the OCI was?

No I don't and I don't even know where it came from but I have a couple guesses. You can tell but the lack of deposit in the can, and the oil colour, that it wasn't on for very long. I probably yanked it as soon as I saw it.

No particular fan of this type construction but to be fair, wondering if this was a short tripper vehicle, or some reason for excess moisture intrusion?

Steady daily-drives to work (25-40min trip). No extreme use and there's absolutely NO excuse for the media to perforate.

Originally Posted By: snuffy300
I'm new to filter dissection.

Is this Defense filter missing a spring? (saw it on other brands).

It's the silver metal piece with the plastic bypass valve in it.

I agree the perforations are not acceptable, however the extreme waviness here seems like it could indicate some moisture or coolant intrusion. Even for a Defense filter which the bottom feeder of the Fram fiber end cap line, the waviness looks excessive to me. JMO.

Something extreme destroyed this filter, maybe excess long OCI or moisture. Really is meaningless without the OCI length. I used FRAM in the 80's an 90's at 3-4K OCI's, cut many open, and never had any look distorted. Point is every filter has a wear out time.

I am finding some distortion/waviness that concerns me with P1 PL10241 with 8-9K OCI's. Currently trying a extra long PL20195.

Last edited:
I can assure you that nothing was extreme about the environment this filter was in. No long-drain, no super-heavy oil, no contamination. You can see by the can that there is very little build-up so I really doubt the filter is even at 25% of it's loaded capacity.

I'll do a tear-down later on and try to sniff out some details. Won't be too soon though.

Maybe it's just that specific filter that has that much waviness in the pleats. I've seen plenty of frams with that specific oil filter number have that issue. I just cut open a dL8316 oil filter and there was absolutely no waviness whatsoever. I ran the oil filter 3,332 miles before changing it.

Last edited:
That one the cut off glue by the exposed center tube edge, where the endcap is not centered, stayed put. Well at least the glue that is still there stayed put.
laugh.gif
Good photos of a filter type I would never use again.

Well this thread was five year old, but facts are facts.
laugh.gif

The "Imported by" part is what I find interesting.

A cheap low end filter made overseas for Fram.
I have a new one of those on the shelf, but no cutter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back